Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Reccomendations

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ccheramie33

Ccheramie33

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2017 - 06:48 PM

Next year I will be running a Fantasy Football auction league. I need a laptop that is capable of maintaining the software that we use. This software is only used once a year. Aside from that, I will need to email a weekly spreadsheet. What is the best bang for my buck considering my needs?

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 27 November 2017 - 07:28 PM.
Moved from 'Which tablet to buy' to 'Advice for a new computer'.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,549 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 26 November 2017 - 10:40 PM

Ccheramie33  :welcome: to BleepingComputer!

The software that you use dictates the minimum computer software/hardware requirements.  Once those requirements are known, the fun begins to guide you to the 'just right' laptop! If you have difficulties finding the requirements to post, provide us with the software name and we will do our best to help you find the information.

(Note: Typically, basic business application software (i.e. spreadsheets) and email clients do not demand high performance laptops/notebooks/tablets)

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,547 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 27 November 2017 - 07:27 PM

I have moved this topic to the section on 'Advice for buying a new computer'. It might be helpful to you to read the pinned note at the start of the section.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 Ccheramie33

Ccheramie33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2017 - 09:39 PM

Here is a link to website that provides the software that we use. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://btfsports.com/&ved=0ahUKEwir8-rbneDXAhWF7IMKHSr8DKQQFggoMAA&usg=AOvVaw25wUCEzeqs9ZS6sygl20in

#5 Ccheramie33

Ccheramie33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2017 - 09:46 PM

I will be using a projector to display the screen. My budget for the laptop is roughly $500. Thanks for all the help and advice

#6 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,549 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 28 November 2017 - 12:26 AM

Hi Ccheramie33!

Wow...reading about the Big Time Fantasy Sports (btfsports) software, you and your teams must have a great time!

The operating system requirement for the software is not spelled out, it's important to establish if it's compatible with Windows 10. I would encourage you to contact btfsports for this information before purchasing a laptop.

Contact information: http://btfsports.com/btfsports/contact.htn

Here is a snip of the hardware requirements for the btfsports software, this information will help BC members who are accustomed to recommending computers.

btfsports.jpg

Are you using the FATBox? If you post yes, the drivers are supported by <-snip> Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 8, 8.1, Windows server 2012 R2, Windows Server 2016 and Windows 10. 

Drivers Link: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

One last thought about laptop specifications concerns how many USB ports you will need. Please clarify what devices you will be connecting to the laptop (potential examples):

*FATBox (USB)

*Projector (USB)

*External speakers (USB)

*Mouse (USB)

Any other devices?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users