Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE Loop... Tried everything

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 drikkz

drikkz

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 26 November 2017 - 05:18 PM

Hello,

A while back in September my Dell XPS 13 9360 started to experience a boot BSOD, "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE." I cannot log into windows, safe mode does not work, I've tried all the basic system restore, startup repair, tried to reinstall with saving files (failed), boot repair, sfc scannow, chkdsk, dism repairs, the works.

I tried using 3rd party repair software, nothing. I've spent probably 30+ hours searching online for answers.

The only thing I know that happened before, is I had installed AVG Free Antivirus, then uninstalled it, then installed Kaspersky, then tried to uninstall Kaspersky but the uninstall failed half way, leaving it partially installed and without any option to uninstall. Since Kaspersky was giving me a lot of BSOD before I even attempted to uninstall, and now even more, I got desperate and disabled the drivers manually to try to wipe it out (bad idea, I know). That was the last action I did before getting the boot loop BSOD.

Now, I wouldn't be so concerned about recovering the windows installation, I already backed up my files. The only issue is my laptop has TPM for bitlocker, and I had experienced a strange problem a few days prior where ALL of my external usb drives were being automatically encrypted by Bitlocker WITHOUT my consent. In fact, I have Windows 10 Home so I have no idea how all my drives (including windows drive) were encrypted. I managed to recover the code for my C: windows drive by accessing my Microsoft account, but the 2 external drives were not recoverable via any of my accounts. What is frustrating is I had not noticed this encryption as my TPM built in probably took care of decryption every time I plugged in. However, as soon as I plug into another computer, welp it's encrypted. Since it never gave me the option for backup codes, and I searched in vain for them in my files, I'm screwed unless I can log back into windows and decrypt the drive with the TPM active.

My two questions are, is there anyone who could help me recover from this BSOD (and what files/logs/things do I need to provide/try to make it happen)? Or, is there any way to start a new windows installation that has access to the TPM's keys on my computer? I am paranoid if I give up on this windows installation I may never get access to my files again (10+ years of photos and backups on a 2 TB external hdd).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 26 November 2017 - 08:38 PM

I got desperate and disabled the drivers manually to try to wipe it out (bad idea, I know).

Just curiously, how did you "disable" the drivers? We may be able to restore them and hence possibly restore the system.

Edited by bwv848, 26 November 2017 - 08:38 PM.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 drikkz

drikkz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2017 - 08:53 PM

I got desperate and disabled the drivers manually to try to wipe it out (bad idea, I know).

Just curiously, how did you "disable" the drivers? We may be able to restore them and hence possibly restore the system.

I used a software called Autoruns, the services tab. I just disabled everything under ownership by Kaspersky.

Edited by drikkz, 26 November 2017 - 08:54 PM.

#4 drikkz

drikkz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2017 - 09:04 PM

I just ran Autoruns again while in Recovery Console, and after analyzing the offline windows (C:/Windows and my user profile) it doesn't show any Kaspersky services or drivers. I don't know if it's because it's limited due to being in the Recovery Console. It did show there was a bunch of Avira Antivirus drivers that were missing (I don't remember installing Avira, but I might have in the past, I disabled them now just in case).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users