Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD (after CPU upgrade)

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 The Man from Oahu

The Man from Oahu

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 26 November 2017 - 04:35 PM

Hi guys,

I have a little problem here...

My computer (about 3 years old):

- MoBo: Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H (rev. 1.0)
- CPU: Intel Core i7-4790 (+ stock cooler)
- RAM: 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
- Video: Intel HD Graphics 4600 (CPU integrated)
- SSD: Crucial M550 128 GB (system drive)
- HDD: WD Blue 500 GB + WD Blue 1TB
- PSU: XFX XTR 650W

I tried to follow the procedure with Sysnative BSOD Dump + System File Collection App but, since it remained in "Waiting for SystemInfo" status for several minutes I closed it as suggested.
Unfortunately no folder or zip file was created. Not sure what happened.

Anyway, here's the story:
I have had this computer (with another CPU) for about three years, I haven't used it much but no big problems until now.
- On 11/15 I installed a new CPU (the aforementioned i7), I tested it with Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool (Default Test: Pass). In the evening I decided to test it again using the Burn-In test (basically it runs for 120'), I got "Pass" again. Although the system seemed to be frozen several times, it reached the end of the test successfully.
- On 11/16 I didn't touch the computer at all.
- On 11/17 after a few minutes of use I got a BSOD (see the attached BlueScreenView report).
I don't have the knowledge to read that stuff and I don't know if it could be related to the new CPU. I noticed though that CPU-Z didn't work, when I tried to open it I got this message:

A previous version of the device driver is already running. This program requires driver version 1.39.

then the program is shown with no data (the GUI is there but all text boxes are empty).
A few days went by with no particular problem.
- On 11/23 I got another BSOD (see the attached BlueScreenView report). I had been adviced to test the CPU with LinX so I did. I used the default settings except for the memory which I set to "All", test passed. The average core temperature was about 77° C. 
- On 11/25 I updated the Intel HD Graphics driver installing the latest version (15.36.33.4578).
CPU-Z still doesn't recognize the CPU, CoreTemp does (and did from the start).
The computer seems to be working but now I fear another BSOD.

Does anybody have any suggestion on how to fix (or at least identify) the problem?
Thanks.

Attached File  111717-6708-01_bsod_report.zip   1001bytes   1 downloads
Attached File  112317-5616-01_bsod_report.zip   1020bytes   1 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,024 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 27 November 2017 - 12:55 PM

Hi,

Can you run this alternate log tool instead?

https://github.com/blueelvis/BSOD-Inspector/releases/download/1.0.5/BSODInspector-1.0.5.exe

Also please run Speccy as requested in the BSOD Posting Instructions

How are the temps, the CPU from your description seems to be running a bit hot? Did you apply the thermal paste properly? Have you ensured you properly installed your CPU correctly into the socket (reseating it may be a good idea)? Have you ensured you installed the cooler correctly?

Edited by bwv848, 27 November 2017 - 12:56 PM.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 The Man from Oahu

The Man from Oahu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2017 - 08:26 AM

Hi and thanks for the reply.

I'll try that tool as soon as I have the time, probably tomorrow.

As for the temperatures, maybe I wasn't clear enough. The temperature of 77°C was during the test with LinX.

The average core tempetature (idle) is about 28°C-30°C.

#4 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2017 - 11:48 AM

Did this stock heatsink come with the i7 or is this the old stock heatsink from your previous cpu? if it is, what was your previous cpu?

#5 The Man from Oahu

The Man from Oahu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2017 - 02:40 PM

The heatsink is the one bundled with the i7.

#6 The Man from Oahu

The Man from Oahu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2017 - 11:26 AM

I ran BSODInspector but the output files aren't in English (I am not English native).

Do you still want me to post them?

As for Speccy I would prefer not to install more software (I remember there was a serious problem with CCleaner a few months ago).

Is it absolutely necessary? Maybe I coud try the portable version but I'd avoid it if possible.

#7 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,024 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2017 - 12:01 PM

I ran BSODInspector but the output files aren't in English (I am not English native).

Do you still want me to post them?

Yes.

As for Speccy I would prefer not to install more software (I remember there was a serious problem with CCleaner a few months ago).

Is it absolutely necessary? Maybe I coud try the portable version but I'd avoid it if possible.

I'd like to see that report. Please run the portable version.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#8 The Man from Oahu

The Man from Oahu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2017 - 12:32 PM

The Speccy report contains personal data (serial numbers, IP address, etc...).

Is there a way to blank them out?

You know, the privacy and that stuff...

#9 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,024 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2017 - 12:36 PM

If you're scared of putting it online, please just PM me the link.

#10 The Man from Oahu

The Man from Oahu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2017 - 01:02 PM

You have PM.

#11 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,024 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2017 - 01:05 PM

Thanks! :) Mind if you attach the output file of BSOD Inspector?

#12 The Man from Oahu

The Man from Oahu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2017 - 01:14 PM

Yep, sorry about that. Here it is.

Attached Files

#13 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,024 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2017 - 11:38 AM

Can you uninstall Acronis and see whether if the system improves? One of the dumps flagged a driver belonging to it...

You have both COMODO and Avast installed. Keep in mind that Comodo also has an antivirus component in it. Suggest you uninstall one of them, just in case of conflict.

I encourage you to follow my suggestions in my previous post (opening up the case, reseating the CPU, ensuring you installed everything correctly, inspecting nothing's broken). Trust me — it only takes one loose cable, a bent CPU pin, and some "minor" problem, to cause havoc!

If you still encounter BSODs, the last thing I will suggest is to update your BIOS before running hardware diagnostics.

#14 The Man from Oahu

The Man from Oahu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2017 - 03:59 PM

That's what I was afraid of...

I have had Acronis, Comodo and Avast installed from the beginning and the computer worked fine.

That said:

- I could uninstall Acronis but I use it for system backup. Besides, BSODs don't happen on a daily basis (luckily) so I don't have any way to see if the system improves. I was hoping that the dump files could help in framing the problem. Apparently they can't.

One of the dumps flagged a driver belonging to it...

Just for my information, where did you get that from?
As far as I can read this stuff (and I am no expert for sure), the first crash involved ntoskrnl.exe and the second crash involved ntoskrnl.exe (again) and fltmgr.sys.
Both seem to be Windows system files.

- To the best of my knowledge, I disabled the antivirus component of Comodo.

- I am positive the CPU and heatsink are installed correctly. I am almost a maniac about these things, believe me: I laid the CPU gently into the socket, perfectly horizontal. I think the load plate can't even be closed if the CPU is not seated correctly. Then I installed the heatsink and checked (at least three times) from the back of the MoBo that all the four fasteners were attached correctly.

Next time I open the case (in a few days I have to install a new drive) I will check for cables and stuff but I am 99.9% sure everything is in place.

Things thus standing, I think I'll keep using the computer until the next BSOD and then update this thread, if you think it's useful.

P.S.: I have been adviced to do a clean install of the OS. Since (as I said) I will be installing a new drive, do you think it's worth a try?

#15 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,024 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2017 - 03:58 PM

Just for my information, where did you get that from?

I found it in the "raw stack" of the dump, if I remember correctly... :)

P.S.: I have been adviced to do a clean install of the OS. Since (as I said) I will be installing a new drive, do you think it's worth a try?

This would be a nice troubleshooting step as it could help us to rule out software problems SO LONG as you keep Windows "clean" with no third-party software and have ALL Windows updates. Will the new drive be your system drive (the drive that Windows is installed on) or just a storage drive?

Edited by bwv848, 06 December 2017 - 03:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users