Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory upgrade on stock HP Pavilion 20 all-in-one

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 saluqi

saluqi

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 26 November 2017 - 03:09 PM

This is a question so dumb I'm embarrassed to ask it.  The subject HP is the desktop in one of the water offices I support.  It came stock with 4 GB - a single 4 GB module in 1 of the 2 memory slots; the second slot is empty.  I want to add an 8 GB module bringing the total RAM to 12 GB.  Just drop it in the empty slot.  I've done this before (with my own Dell laptop, among others) with no problems.

Wanting to see how to open this case, I hit the YouTube trail.  I found a demo of how to install new memory in an HP Pavilion 20.  The fellow in the video removed the old memory module, and inserted the new one in the #1 slot, then replaced the original module in the #2 slot.  Question arising: is that swap necessary?  I would have thought it makes no difference which module is in which slot, so on the principle "if it ain't broke, don't mess with it" I would tend to leave the old module alone and put the new module in the empty slot.  I've done that in the past without problems (used to work in a systems house, long ago lost count of how many computers I've assembled from components).  So is there something out there that makes it advisable to put the newer (or larger) module in the #1 slot?

Thanks for enlightenment,  as always

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,795 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 26 November 2017 - 04:06 PM

The machine may have a RAM limitation of some kind, can you give us more details?

Edited by MadmanRB, 26 November 2017 - 04:06 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#3 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 11 December 2017 - 09:09 PM

According to its documentation, this HP machine has a RAM limitation to 16 GB (1 8-GB module in each of two slots).  It came from factory with 1 4-GB module in Slot 1, and Slot 2 empty.  I am proposing to drop one 8-GB module into Slot 2, for a total of 12 GB.  Last time I did that was on a Dell laptop, and it worked perfectly.  I can't see any obvious reason this machine should be different.  I suppose I can try it, and will find out soon enough if it doesn't work! <G>

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 12 December 2017 - 11:17 AM

It will not make a difference if one stick is 4GB and the other 8GB. The only difference would be it they were different speeds and if the motherboard had dual channel memory. This computer is single channel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users