Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Variety of Computer Issues

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots

• Members
  • 449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 26 November 2017 - 01:05 PM

My computer is doing all sorts of crazy things.  I have had disappearing files for many months.

Last summer I ran my computer through a battery of tests for malware here and it came back clean.  Following that, I took my computer (Toshiba laptop Windows 7) into a repairman to have him check it out.  It passed as working properly.  

Then I started having issues with disappearing files, files I had just created not appearing in the folder In which I stored it.  It went far deeper than that and you can read more about it in this link:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/663075/disappearing-files-etc/

I've had a few blue screens and twice my computer completely froze and I had to remove the battery to get back control.

I am very active in Flickr and for the past few months I have had lots of issues with it.  I use Firefox as my browser.  Today I signed in and did some Flickr things and email, and signed out.  When I tried to sign back in, I was directed to a link that seemed to be about challenging my password.   And I couldn't get into the account.  I also could not update Firefox to the newest version, which just came out recently.

I uninstalled Firefox, reinstalled it, and was able to sign in.  When I left email, I got a screen telling me I was infected and had to call a phone number and talk to a Microsoft agent, and that just ignoring this would result in Microsoft denying me access to the internet via Windows.  I didn't click the link or call the number.  I've seen these scams on YouTube.  If you need to see the msgs, I attached them in the thread link listed above.

I just scanned with AVG and Malwarebytes and nothing was found.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2017 - 03:32 PM

I guess this doesn't matter anymore.  Last weekend I was having a slew of problems and took my computer into the shop.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 04 December 2017 - 12:36 PM

OK
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2017 - 05:06 PM

Wait...I  thought it was okay but now...

Windows 7.  I just had this computer in the shop and picked it up this week.  It was clean and functioning as it's supposed to.  I have hardly used it since getting it back.  Please check the link in my original post to see the problems I was having before I took it in.

Now I am unable to send email.  I am unable to post images on Flickr.  The tech installed/activated Windows Defender and it was turned off.  I tried turning it back on but I can't open that program.

I didn't want to bring this up, but I really want to do is check my computer for an NSA trojan. 

Please see this article on Bleeping Computer:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/over-36-000-computers-infected-with-nsas-doublepulsar-malware/

How can I check for this sort of infection?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users