Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

asking me to update to 8.1 to receive more security updates

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cpunoob

cpunoob

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 26 November 2017 - 11:21 AM

will it erase my current files if i do?

this pc belonged to someone else and still has over 100gigs of their stuff on it

i dont want to clear it out

im just using it temporarily but i want it to be updated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 26 November 2017 - 11:27 AM

That's between you and the lender. Backing up any computer before a major update/ upgrade is the way to go.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 07 December 2017 - 03:26 PM

It shouldn't erase files, and a windows 8 to 8.1 upgrade, in my experience, shouldn't uninstall programs either (unless it thinks them incompatible in which case they might actually work if you reinstall them but they'll have been uninstaleld during the upgrade process). You may need to reset some windows settings after such an upgrade, but not many, and you might have to reinstall some drivers for things like printers in the relatively unlikely event that they'll get changed. Windows 8 and 8.1 are very similar, not much should change. You might have to, after upgrading, uninstall some windows updates, the upgrade process installs a huge number of updates for windows 8.1 as well as doing the upgrading bit. So I advise before you go online after upgrading, first check what updates have been installed and remove unwelcome ones (KB2976978 for example). Then make sure to check for updates too as after an upgrade you might need to do quite a bit of updating, because whie loads of updates get installed in the upgrade process there are also loads (often loads of security ones infact) which don't get installed until you check for updates after upgrading, that's what i found when I went from 8 to 8.1.

If you've borrowed the PC the owner might not welcome you upgrading it, if it is your PC now then upgrading it to 8.1 is probably the best course of action. The offer to upgrade to windows 10 has expired now, and the other way of updating it via microsoft's accessibility options website has also closed or will do very soon), but just be careful incase during the upgrade to 8.1 your system tries to go further.

Edited by rp88, 07 December 2017 - 03:26 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#4 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 08 December 2017 - 05:22 PM

The offer to upgrade to windows 10 has expired now, and the other way of updating it via microsoft's accessibility options website has also closed or will do very soon), but just be careful incase during the upgrade to 8.1 your system tries to go further.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/660718/windows-10-free-upgrade-stilll-there/

The upgrade to Win10 is still currently available. However.....

The update through Assistive Technology ends Dec. 31 2017. Now whether or not Microsoft is going to also slam the door shut on updating via the Media Creation Tool come Dec. 31st remains to be seen. I have not read any articles stating such. Anyone here with info indicating such action?

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 09 December 2017 - 10:02 AM

The offer to upgrade to windows 10 has expired now, and the other way of updating it via microsoft's accessibility options website has also closed or will do very soon), but just be careful incase during the upgrade to 8.1 your system tries to go further.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/660718/windows-10-free-upgrade-stilll-there/

The upgrade to Win10 is still currently available. However.....

The update through Assistive Technology ends Dec. 31 2017. Now whether or not Microsoft is going to also slam the door shut on updating via the Media Creation Tool come Dec. 31st remains to be seen. I have not read any articles stating such. Anyone here with info indicating such action?

The Assistive Technologies upgrade provides the client with a product code.  The Media Creation Tool does not provide a product code, the client will have to purchase a product code to use this to install Windows 10.

In the recent past Microsoft had not requested any proof of clients using any assistive technologies, but recently I see that they are asking clients to affirm that they use assistive technologies.  Assistive technologies can be as simple as corrective lenses.

Attached File  assistive technologies.PNG   402.81KB   0 downloads

The offer for this upgrade does end on December 31, 2017.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users