Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange behavior after update KB4048958

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 GSWedge

GSWedge

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 26 November 2017 - 09:24 AM

New here and wanted to find out if this is an isolated problem or others are seeing this.  And what's the fix if there is one if you install the update.

In my case my system is:

Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

RAM - 8GB

SSD - Samsung 830 120GB

CPU - Core i7 4790

When I installed KB4048958 some strange things occurred.

1) Normally when I hover over the Start flag the flag turns purple and the background goes to black.  But after I installed the update; If I hovered my mouse over the Start flag it would flash very fast and clicking on it would not bring up and menu whether right or left click.

2) Normally if I click one icon on my desktop you can see it gets selected.  If I click another, the first is un-highlighted and the new one is now the highlighted one.  After the update being installed, both are highlighted.  If I click a third all three are highlighted, almost as if I hold left click and drag to highlight.

3) System locks up for a second every 1-3 minutes.  Random.

I did uninstall the update and all was normal again.  None of these symptoms were occurring at all.  Wondering if there is some sort of second update to install after KB4048958 to fix this or is there a setting to turn on and then off or whatever.  For now I have the update uninstalled, but looking at the security fixes I would want to have them.  Thanks

EDIT - no printer installed on this system

Edited by GSWedge, 26 November 2017 - 09:54 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 26 November 2017 - 10:10 AM

Hi,

Try to install the 2017-11 Security Only Quality Update to see if those problems continue
https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4048961

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 GSWedge

GSWedge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 27 November 2017 - 11:12 PM

Well, so far so good.  I installed the security only update and it appears to be fine.  I'll keep you posted in the coming days.  Thanks for that bit of information, forgot that they release the rollup and the security ones separated.

Thanks again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users