Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboards refuse to work

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 properpk

properpk

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 26 November 2017 - 07:48 AM

I recently went to Egypt for a week. Upon return, I plugged my computer in and loaded everything up. However, my keyboard wasn't working. It's done this before so I figured it was a hardware issue due to being left untouched in the cold for a week.

I decided to try it on a laptop, and lo and behold it worked perfectly. So I ruled out hardware failure and decided the drivers must be at fault. I updated, uninstalled, and the reinstalled fresh drivers. Nothing changed

When I boot my PC up, the keyboard will do nothing, no lights or any signs of life at all. If I plug my keyboard in shortly after turning the PC on, it will light up 10% of the time, and some keys will work 5% of the time. However after Windows loads, the keyboard is unresponsive even if it is kit up.

I've tried reinstalling drivers, I've tried using another keyboard, I've tried a system restore, I even managed to press F2 and get into the bios, but I couldn't see anything there that would help me.

I've tried unplugging my mouse and seeing if anything changes, but its the same. My mouse works perfectly, and I've tried all peripherals in all combinations on both USB2 and USB3 ports.

I'm at a complete loss of what the issue is, but I suspect it may be motherboard related. I don't have a disc or a key to do a fresh Windows install, but I would like to give that a try.

If anyone has any hint of a solution I will be eternally grateful. Cheers.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 27 November 2017 - 04:28 PM

What happens if you attach a known-good different keyboard...and then try to boot into Windows?

This appears to be a USB keyboard...have you taken a look in Device Manager?  Any yellow or red markings by any device?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users