Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet's Future

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 24 September 2006 - 07:22 PM

The Pew report on the future internet surveyed 742 experts in the fields of computing, politics and business.
More than half of respondents had a positive vision of the net's future but 46% had serious reservations.
Almost 60% said that a counter culture of Luddites would emerge, some resorting to violence.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/5370688.stm

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 24 September 2006 - 08:38 PM

On the site, I noticed the below:

(Quote) "Glenn Ricart, a board member at the Internet Society, warned also of potential dangers.
He envisaged "an entire generation opting-out of the real world and a paradoxical decrease in productivity as the people who provide the motive economic power no longer are in touch with the realities of the real world". (Unquote)

Scary thought. Especially since apparently many experts already believe that there is an entire generation of young people out there who are already 'desensitized' to the real world and lack empathy and compassion.

It's just a personal opinion but I can't see the 'internet' being the cause of social woes. (Anymore than the cell phone is the cause of some chatting away happily - and usually loudly - in public places, including restaurants, libraries and even Churches. Nope, I figure it's simply a matter of not knowing they are being incredibly rude - and an over-inflated ego).
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#3 no one

no one
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2006 - 09:37 PM

Scary thought. Especially since apparently many experts already believe that there is an entire generation of young people out there who are already 'desensitized' to the real world and lack empathy and compassion.

It's just a personal opinion but I can't see the 'internet' being the cause of social woes. (Anymore than the cell phone is the cause of some chatting away happily - and usually loudly - in public places, including restaurants, libraries and even Churches. Nope, I figure it's simply a matter of not knowing they are being incredibly rude - and an over-inflated ego).

I would have to agree with that (first statement) to some degree ,I don't think I would include the "whole" but maybe a 33 to 50% in some areas of what would be considered socially acceptable to most who grew up pre-pc.
I think the "net",TV, Music or even peer pressure can and will affect social woes ,if, you're predisposed to that behavior anyway. take a "happy" mentaly stable kid and letting them listen to "shoot to thrill" (AC/DC) will not incite them to "do it" (JudasPriest) unless they have already been seriously thinking along those lines anyway. IMO.
don't get me started about people and cell phones.

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#4 rubiconeye

rubiconeye

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 25 September 2006 - 03:46 AM

i sometimes wonder who 'picks' these 'experts' and i wonder how many of them are under 50 and can operate their vcr (old technology!). mostly these so-called experts have to come up with some crap to justify their salaries, and scare-mongering is always the way to grab some headlines.

whenever new technology comes out, there are always the doom and gloom brigade predicting the fall of civilisation. the fact is, most people are sensible, have plenty commonsense, and rather than take the trouble to become "one of the counter-culture of Luddites ready to resort to violence..." would quite happily live and let live.

as for "an entire generation opting-out of the real world and a paradoxical decrease in productivity as the people who provide the motive economic power no longer are in touch with the realities of the real world". well, we had this kind of crap when lsd was first formulated - the youth of today, becoming zombies yada yada, end of the world as we know it!

as for me, when i look around at what is going on in the real world, opting out sounds like a good option sometimes! any idea how i go about it? lol

#5 no one

no one
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2006 - 01:37 PM

as for me, when i look around at what is going on in the real world, opting out sounds like a good option sometimes! any idea how i go about it? lol

tune out, turn off, and unplug ? :thumbsup:

Posted Image

#6 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2006 - 05:08 PM

(Quote: as for "an entire generation opting-out of the real world and a paradoxical decrease in productivity as the people who provide the motive economic power no longer are in touch with the realities of the real world". well, we had this kind of crap when lsd was first formulated - the youth of today, becoming zombies yada yada, end of the world as we know it!" (unquote)

I don't think the youth today are becoming zombies, by any means - but sometimes do wonder if playing endless games on the computer versus playing outdoors in the fresh air with friends may not have a negative effect. (Hard to learn compassion and sharing and basic stuff like if you hit someone in reality, they are hurt - and don't necessarity bounce back magically like on computer games, etc). But then again, it's not the kids that have created a world where it's no longer possible to shoo them out the door on a Saturday morning and simply tell them to be home for dinner - and take for granted they will be safe.

Don't really understand the 'experts' view re "paradoxical decrease in productivity" , at all, though ... would someone please be kind enough to explain why 'experts' would even consider this a possiblity? Thanks so much.
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#7 rubiconeye

rubiconeye

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2006 - 07:20 PM

hi, MaraM,

"...the youth today are becoming zombies" - what i meant is, this is what we're usually led to believe by the scare-mongering experts. most kids today are relatively well-adjusted, know the meaning of right and wrong, and are quite capable of telling the difference between injuring someone thru a game, and injuring someone in reality. whatever effect technology is going to have in the future i am quite sure it will be a whole lot better than the 'worst scenario' predictions that make the headlines.

"paradoxical decrease in productivity" - i think what the 'experts' mean is, everybody will be too busy playing computer games or surfing the net, rather than go out to 'man the machine at the factory!'

i think, if they offered decent wages at the factory, or wherever, they wouldnt have to worry about any decrease in productivity! lol

#8 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2006 - 08:09 PM

Thanks rubiconeye,

Thanks for explaining what the so-called 'experts' mean re "paradoxical decrease in productivity" - can't see it happening, either.

If anything, one would think the overall productivity in our world would even increase. I'm so old I remember life before 3 way and even conference calls existed ... there were no scanners and faxes - and hundreds of hours each year could easily be spent trying to accomplish what can now takes just mere minutes in the business world.

Agree with your words about "decent wages at the factory", too. Although slightly off-topic, many businesses that insist "part-time, full-time" (no fringe benefits whatsoever) with minimum wages is 'the way to go' are beginning to have regrets. Guess they forgot it takes time (and money) to hire and train each person - and it's hard for staff to care when they know the company they work for don't care what happens to them either.

And truly do agree with no one that magical technology isn't going to corrupt our youth/world. Nope, where parents once had to teach kids safety and good manners for things that now seem obsolete, guess it wouldn't hurt to go back to some of those things - and now add 'courtesy' for using the magical new stuff too.
(Referring of course to my pet-peeve re some cell phone users - grin).

#9 rubiconeye

rubiconeye

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2006 - 08:29 PM

hi, MaraM,

(Referring of course to my pet-peeve re some cell phone users - grin).

that is a perfect example - it wasnt long ago that we were all being warned about our brains being fried using mobile phones too much, :thumbsup: tho, i must admit to 'sometimes wishing the deadly rays would hurry up and boil the brains in the guy behind me on the bus!, so i could get some peace and quiet!

i suppose it depends how you look at the future, either all doom and gloom, or a new age of wonder cures and beneficial advances. i know it is easy to think of the past and all the 'innocence lost', but personally, i think you tend to more remember the good stuff, so in a way you're always looking back thru 'rose-tinted specs'

maybe :flowers: maybe it is just senility on my part :trumpet:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users