Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What's the reliable free anti virus today?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 vin_012

vin_012

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 26 November 2017 - 12:45 AM

Currently, I'm using Comodo as my anti virus for my Windows 10. It looks like this software is not reliable enough to detect new threats as my laptop was infected by a worm that caused the Autolt error. A worm like the Worm:Win32/Mogoogwi.A!Ink. What other free anti virus can you suggest as I could not afford the paid softwares?

Edited by hamluis, 26 November 2017 - 06:04 AM.
Moved from Gen Sec to AV/AM Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 26 November 2017 - 09:09 AM

There is always the option to just use Windows 10 Defender which includes anti-virus and anti-malware protection that provides the same level of protection against malware as Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) provides on older operation systems plus enhanced protection against rootkits and bootkits (and it's probably easier to use for the novice).

If you have Windows 10 Anniversary update, it includes Limited Periodic Scanning and allows you to also use a third party anti-virus program as your primary protection. Starting with Windows 10 Creators Update, Windows Defender is called Windows Defender Antivirus...it includes always-on protection which consists of real-time protection, behavior monitoring and heuristics to identify and block malware based on known suspicious and malicious activity. Windows Defender Antivirus Creators Update is also compatible with any third-party anti-virus. Starting with Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, Windows Defender Antivirus includes Exploit Guard with four components of new intrusion prevention capabilities designed to lock down a system against various attack vectors and block behaviors commonly used in malware attacks before any damage can be done.

If you prefer not to use Windows 10 Defender or cannot afford to pay for an alternative, then I would recommend Kaspersky Free Antivirus, Sophos Home Free Antivirus, Panda Cloud Antivirus or Bitdefender Anti-virus Free Edition any of which can be used instead of or in conjunction with Windows 10 Anniversary update, Windows 10 Creators Update and Windows Defender Antivirus.

Note: Although Windows 10 Defender provides some anti-malware protection...it is weak, meaning it does not provide comprehensive protection and cannot prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. This is true for most anti-virus solutions. Anti-virus and anti-malware programs each perform different tasks as it relates to computer security and threat detection. Essentially, they look for and remove different types of malicious threats. Therefore, you need both an anti-virus and an effective anti-malware solution for maximum protection.

You may want to read these topics:

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 isaccasi

isaccasi

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 29 November 2017 - 06:28 AM

Hello I have Bitdefender Total Security,but there is a free version of Bitdefender if you are interested :notme:

#4 santiano

santiano

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 29 November 2017 - 07:27 AM

Hello I have Bitdefender Total Security,but there is a free version of Bitdefender if you are interested :notme:

I do believe that total security solution guards best against threats. For assurance about the product, I think a trial version is a nice option and also compare the features with other products. 

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,371 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2017 - 07:35 AM

The topic poster is looking for free solutions.

#6 vin_012

vin_012
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2017 - 01:35 AM

Thanks for the suggestions and well explained anti virus/malware issues. Bunch of thanks!

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,371 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2017 - 07:23 AM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

#8 Rollin

Rollin

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2017 - 01:55 AM

How about the anti virus Avast?

#9 vin_012

vin_012
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2017 - 03:00 AM

I used Avast before and it looks like average almost same as Comodo in my opinion. I chose Comodo now since it's lighter than Avast. I have IDEs and CAD software that makes my laptop slow. Avast makes it more slow.

#10 santiano

santiano

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 02 December 2017 - 05:44 AM

The topic poster is looking for free solutions.

Yes, I agree and my context is for the free solution, as for free solutions also we have to compare the products.  :)

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,371 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2017 - 07:25 AM

avast! Free Antivirus has been becoming more of a disappointment for the past several years and I no longer recommend it.Further, avast! pushes a support package for $180 offered by a third party which prefers to take remote control of your computer in order to fix problems.

#12 Rollin

Rollin

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2017 - 10:12 AM

avast! Free Antivirus has been becoming more of a disappointment for the past several years and I no longer recommend it. Further, avast! pushes a support package for $180 offered by a third party which prefers to take remote control of your computer in order to fix problems.

Dang i need to change then. Any suggestions?

#13 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2017 - 04:22 PM

Defender...

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,371 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2017 - 04:24 PM

As I said above, if folks are looking for a free alternative I generally recommend recommend Kaspersky Free Antivirus, Sophos Home Free Antivirus or Bitdefender Anti-virus Free Edition if they prefer not to use Windows 8/10 Defender or Microsoft Security Essentials, the free solution for Windows 7 and Vista SP1/SP2 that combines the features of an anti-virus and anti-malware scanner to provide real-time protection.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users