Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I broke my front audio panel, and I don't know if I can fix it

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Shade the Wolf

Shade the Wolf

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 25 November 2017 - 06:06 PM

As the title says... I was moving to put my dictionary back, when I tripped on my headphone cord and yanked it in the jack. My speakers cam back and I thought I had just torn the plug out, but when I reseated it, the sound didn't come back through my headphones. The microphone jack also broke the same way. Is there any way I can fix this? I know there are speaker systems I can get that come with their own audio jacks for that thing and the onboard soundcard still works but I like my speakers. If it helps the case I have is the DIYPC G580-BK case.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 26 November 2017 - 11:59 AM

What is the make and model of this computer?

Can you use the connectors on the back of the computer?  Basically I want to know if those connectors are still working.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Shade the Wolf

Shade the Wolf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2017 - 01:52 PM

I built it myself. And yes, the back connectors still function. It's only the front panel jacks that are jacked (huehue) up.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,676 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 26 November 2017 - 02:12 PM

I would contact the case maker and if that did not get you anywhere you could install your own front audio panel

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/front-panel-audio

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,772 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2017 - 07:00 PM

Often the jacks are soldered to the MOBO or an AUX board.  Not easy to replace on the MOBO but the smaller aux card would make it easy.  The jacks get jammed, yanked and pulled, either failing to connect or locking the tiny switch in the wrong position.

#6 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2017 - 07:46 PM

You best option would be to contact DIYPC directly and hope they will assist you.

http://www.mydiypcusa.com/support.html

#7 Shade the Wolf

Shade the Wolf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2017 - 12:29 AM

Since it's the jacks in the case itself and not the cable leading to the HD_Audio header to the motherboard an AUX board replacement sounds like the best bet. I'll see if DIYPC can help though.

Thanks for the feedback.

#8 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2017 - 08:51 AM

I bought a DIYPC case not too long ago, If you contact them please let me know of the type of support you get from them.

Thank you

Joe C

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2017 - 10:02 AM

I would contact the case maker and if that did not get you anywhere you could install your own front audio panel

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/front-panel-audio

+1

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 Shade the Wolf

Shade the Wolf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2017 - 06:48 PM

I contacted support and told them of my issue, told them that I got the case back in February so I'm still within the warranty on it. Hopefully I hear back from them soon.Hopefully they can help since I don't know how to swap out the AUX board on a computer tower. I could probably look it up though.

Oh it's literally an expansion board. Okay that's definitely easier than swapping out the one already there XD But where would I hook it up? All my slots are filled on my MOBO. Both USB headers and the card reader (which uses its own USB 2.0 header.)

Edited by Shade the Wolf, 27 November 2017 - 06:51 PM.

#11 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2017 - 07:02 PM

Well if you broke it... you shouldn't expect any warranty. You'll probably have to pay for the replacement unless they are feeling generous.

Usually those are screwed in with mounts that hold the audio, usb ports and sometimes the power switch too. just a matter of popping off the front cover and checking out how it goes on. On rare occasion it might be hot glued on there

#12 Shade the Wolf

Shade the Wolf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2017 - 07:27 PM

Even if it was an accident? Like I didn't intentionally break it, it just happened. I get what you mean though. I'll see what they have to say before I do anything to my case though, just in case I am still protected by warranty. I won't hold my breath though. We'll see what happens.

Worst case scenario is I get the expansion board and install that, using it rather than the onboard USB, unless there's a way to have both USB hubs hooked up. Probably will require another piece of hardware though. Like a USB header hub or something.

#13 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2017 - 08:27 PM

Ya never know.... one time I told Hauppauge that my dog chewed up my IR cable and they sent me a new one for free.

When I got one of those bigger LCD tv's (Samsung) the IR device didn't work on that and I had a heck of a time getting Samsung to send me another one, and this was on a brand new tv

Even if they charged you I don't think it'll be more than $10. to $20. You case would look nicer if you could go oem but a hub or something from ebay as JohnC_21 suggested  will work too

Edited by Joe C, 27 November 2017 - 08:32 PM.

#14 Shade the Wolf

Shade the Wolf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2017 - 02:38 AM

Mm fair. Looking at the expansion hub it looks simple enough to install. I mean I'd lose the onboard 3.0 USB but gain two USB 2.0 through SATA connection. I mean unless a splitter exists for USB 3.0. Which is possible. Might be something to look into. Possibly.

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2017 - 09:31 AM

The majority of manufacturer warranties will cover hardware problems that were not caused by the owner.  The warranty generally covers the parts and labor for repairs.  You caused this failure with you case, the warranty will not cover that. 

John_C21 and I both have given you the best option for repairing this at a price that is affordable, $13.99 with free shipping is darned cheap.  I would suggest that you follow that suggestion.  The USB and audio hub fits in an expansion bay, most cases have extra bays for another ssd/hdd or optical drive, card reader, etc.

Edited to omit superfluous information.

Edited by dc3, 28 November 2017 - 09:52 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users