Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Svchost high usage

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 25 November 2017 - 05:48 PM

My mini Acer has an issue with SCV host, I have been just ending the process but it will come back after awhile.  So far the full scan with MSI, Malwarebytes and SAS all clean.  Just ran Rkill now seeking ideas

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,641 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2017 - 06:53 PM

When you have an issue with svchost and high CPU click on the performance tab in Task Manage then the Resource Monitor button. In the Resource Monitor click the CPU tab. In the upper pane is Processes and in the lower pane is Services. In the Processes pane scroll down until you reach the svchost process using all your CPU. Left click to highlight then click on the check box. In the lower pane you will see the service that is causing the high CPU usage. It's possible it will be the Windows Update Service.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 25 November 2017 - 06:55 PM

How to determine what services are running under a SVCHOST.EXE process - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial129.html

Louis

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2017 - 07:31 PM

Thanks Gents!

Followed your advice came up with svchost net serv in upper pane and wuauserv in teh lower pane both running near 50%

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,641 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2017 - 08:04 PM

That is the Windows update service. Have you been able to check for Windows Updates successfully?

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2017 - 08:20 PM

That is the Windows update service. Have you been able to check for Windows Updates successfully?

No just sits there forever!

I was just reading through the post from April 2016, I will try to fix it tomorrow.

Thanx fingers crossed!

I am trying get this little bugger fixed then slap in my spare SSD to give it a little more poop!

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,641 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2017 - 08:42 PM

Download these two updates in order.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3177467/servicing-stack-update-for-windows-7-sp1-and-windows-server-2008-r2-sp

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3172605/july-2016-update-rollup-for-windows-7-sp1-and-windows-server-2008-r2-s

Reboot and then check for updates.

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2017 - 09:28 PM

Will do in the AM. thanx John will let you all know.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,641 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2017 - 09:52 PM

If the updates I linked to seem like they are taking forever to install, i.e. a window says checking for updates, then temporarily disable the Windows Update Service.

#10 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,180 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2017 - 02:48 AM

If the issue is related to a well known and long standing (and fixable) issue with Windows Update you can put a stop to the immediate problem by setting your Windows Update settings to Never check for updates and restarting your system (no need to mess with Services):

[attachment=199961:Untitled.jpg]

Restart your system and now you can apply the necessary updates to fix the problem.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#11 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2017 - 10:56 AM

So far so good!  Several reboots after applying the two updates and a couple of oddities all seems well. has been updating for about three hours, when done hopefully all will be Ok.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,641 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2017 - 11:33 AM

If you do not do so already I recommend regular disk image backups to a USB external hard drive using one of the following free programs. 

Macrium Reflect Free

Aomei Backupper Standard

Easeus Todo Backup Free

All allow you to create bootable media to restore the image to a computer that does not boot because of malware, file system corruption, or a failed drive. Aomei and Easeus also allow file backup, both incremental and differential with Easeus being the easiest to use. All allow you to mount the image to a virtual drive allowing you to pull any file out of the image.

Edit: I just saw another thread where you posted using Macrium so please disregard the above.

Edited by JohnC_21, 26 November 2017 - 11:52 AM.

#13 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2017 - 03:45 PM

I am old now but will be much older when this thing gets done with the 182 updates, been going since breakfast good chance I will be putting the SSD in this coming week.  Right now I can walk faster then the mini boots and loads!!!   I have a Rosewill enclosure and about a dozen HD and SSD's on the shelf.  I make it a habit of pulling anything off the laptops and tower that I want.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,641 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2017 - 04:03 PM

I said it before, Window's update mechanism sucks bigtime.

#15 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2017 - 05:26 PM

Well I let it run all night, in the AM it finally finished.  Re booted and checked updates again there were 20 more along with 10 non essential.  That went real smooth now the little bugger is running just fine.

Thanks a Bunch for the tips!

Phil 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users