Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ctrl C+V not working

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 FivePastTwo

FivePastTwo

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 25 November 2017 - 03:39 PM

Copy & paste via Ctrl C+V has stopped working, any advice how I get this back please?

I have difficulty digesting information following a brain injury, although I challenge myself daily, please be patient if I don't understand any advice.  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,534 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 25 November 2017 - 04:26 PM

Reboot.

These are native Windows commands not linked to any specific program.  If that doesn't work then report back with more specifics about your system.  The best way to do that is:

Using Piriform’s Speccy to Collect Your Computer’s Hardware & Software Specifications

1.  Go to the Piriform Speccy Download Page and download the program.

2.  Run the installer you’ve just downloaded, and when you reach the end, uncheck the View Release Notes checkbox, then activate the Run Speccy button.  You will be presented the Speccy Main Window:

main.jpg

3.  From the File Menu, activate the “Publish Snapshot” item (or press ALT+F,U):

file_publishsnapshot.jpg

4.  You will now be presented with the Publish Snapshot Dialog:

publish_snapshot_dialog.jpg

You will, of course, activate the Yes button.

5.  Finally, you will be presented with the Snapshot URL Dialog:

snapshot_url_dialog.jpg

on which you will activate the Copy to Clipboard button so that you will have the snapshot web address to paste into your message.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#3 FivePastTwo

FivePastTwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2017 - 05:36 PM

Hi Mod

I've followed your instructions, got as far as "copy to clipboard" but then nothing happens it just hangs

I have difficulty digesting information following a brain injury, although I challenge myself daily, please be patient if I don't understand any advice.  

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2017 - 06:17 PM

I don't know what you mean by "just hangs."

Copy to clipboard does exactly what it says, copies the link shown in the screen to the clipboard for you to paste elsewhere.  You see no "action" when that button is hit and can immediately hit the "Close" button after hitting it, since the link is on your clipboard at that point.

Just paste the link into your next message, and try doing it with CTRL+V  (presuming you've restarted your system at some point before trying this).

Edited by britechguy, 25 November 2017 - 06:18 PM.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

#5 FivePastTwo

FivePastTwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2017 - 10:19 AM

For some unknown reason, ctrl C+V doesn't work on this site

#6 FivePastTwo

FivePastTwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2017 - 10:27 AM

Unable to paste the link

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2017 - 11:35 AM

Then type it out.

Also, try:  

If you're under earlier than Windows 8 just try SFC.

#8 FivePastTwo

FivePastTwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2017 - 03:41 PM

I've typed it out

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/RZ4Qgt4mpNjhsx34qBgihGv

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2017 - 07:54 PM

Thank You.

Take a look at:  https://superuser.com/questions/145268/copy-paste-stops-working-on-windows-7

If one of the solutions there does not work then try a web search on ["Windows 7" cut paste stops working].  There are a number of other possibilities, and I, like you, would keep having to try the various options until I hit upon the one that applies.

#10 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,530 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 26 November 2017 - 10:14 PM

Hi FivePastTwo!

Along with investigating the link in # 9 from @britechguy, other thoughts.

1) Is this problem taking place outside of Internet Applications? (E.g. Notepad, MS Office)

2) Open Notepad and type anything, highlight the text are you able to have success using your right click to copy then right click to paste?

3) While in Notepad with text, test your CTRL key to make sure it works with other functions:

CTRL A = Select All

CTRL X = Cut

CTRL M = New line

CTRL S = Save (save window will pop up)

CTRL P = Print (print window will pop up)

Does the CRTL key work with all functions above?

4) Check to see if your sticky keys are off. Control panel -> Ease of Access -> scroll down click on Make the Keyboard easier to use -> scroll down to Make it easier to type -> make sure sticky keys are off

If sticky keys are off and you still have the same problem, do the following steps (I know, lots of steps to see if it works!)

5) Click start -> Control panel -> Keyboard -> Hardware tab -> Properties -> click Change settings -> click Driver tab -> scroll down to Uninstall -> you will get a Confirm Device Uninstall -> click OK -> System Settings Change -> click yes -> your computer will reboot -> you will get a notification next to the clock that the Standard PS/2 Keyboard device driver software installed successfully with a window pop up directing you to restart -> click Restart Now -> your notebook will reboot -> test to see if the CTRL C & CTRL V function is working.

I've got the good luck vibe going!

#11 FivePastTwo

FivePastTwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2017 - 06:19 AM

Thanks for you detailed reply, ctrl C+V works on notepad,

CTRL A,X,M,S,P works in notepad.

Sticky keys are off

It seems ctrl C+V doesn't work on this site

#12 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2017 - 08:41 AM

I have never had any issue with copy and paste on BC, and I cannot begin to count the number of times I've done both.

This is within pages of the site or by copying a line or two from, say, a word processing document or plain text document and pasting them in a message.

Were I you I would definitely clear browser cache on whatever browser or browsers you use to access BC (or any site, for that matter).

Also, for future reference, you need to frame your questions more specifically.  The initial issue was made to appear as a universal failure of the keyboard shortcuts for copy and paste on your system as a whole.  That would have a completely different solution than dealing with an issue in a single program or a program or two.

Edited by britechguy, 27 November 2017 - 08:43 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users