Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP ;emails read in O. E. but compacted emails are in Recycle bin

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 snowdrop

snowdrop

• Members
  • 513 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 25 November 2017 - 03:22 PM

Computer running XP and emails read in Outlook Express;

but compacted email are in recycle bin

Computer requested I compact the emails which I have done at least twice

However, on checking the recycle bin I note that there are items in there from the OE

I have been checking my recycle bin  and have done a' compact 'of the OE but it seems that the compacting sends things to the recycle bin?

What should happen if the computer asks for the  OE to be compacted? where does it send the compact?

I am having to go through the recycle bin line by line to see what I can safely completely delete but also when I try to restore an item it seems to  make a duplicate in the recycle bin !!

I can still read the emails in OE but where should the compacted emails  actually be saved? And how if at all can I get this corrected?

How if at all can this be corrected or resolved please?

Edited by hamluis, 26 November 2017 - 07:51 AM.
Moved from XP to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2017 - 07:51 AM

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-networking/we-clicked-compact-messages-in-outlook-express-and/9e5dd152-2a51-4b7a-a950-bf1cedbc88c4?auth=1

Louis

#3 snowdrop

snowdrop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 513 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2017 - 04:29 PM

Thanks for the  response so far but the problem is ,where should the compacted emails be stored ;this is what I think I am not yet understanding ; is it somewhere in OE or ...where?

Should they  be in the recycle bin  or where ' normally' does the system send them  when they have been compacted?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2017 - 12:40 PM

I've never wondered about such...and I no longer use OE on my XP install...due to it's lack of support.  I compacted OE hundreds of times without any problems and I would back up my emails every few years.

I would not advise anyone to use OE today and expect any sort of support for it...Microsoft has basically determined that it's not worth the time and effort.

Louis

#5 snowdrop

snowdrop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 513 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2017 - 04:50 PM

What about using Microsoft Outlook on the XP build ?? Would a similar problem occur there too? Is it a fault of the XP build or ??

Is this 'event' a known problem with XP or with OE in XP?

If I managed to transfer to Outlook might there be on- line support for that ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users