Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printer Port Problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ReeRayz

ReeRayz

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 24 September 2006 - 06:39 PM

I have a HPdeskjet photo printer that has always worked fine. However, I recently upgraded my computer, and when I installed the printer...added, etc...I have encountered printer problems. My printer will work for a while, then fail to print later on. The only fix to get it to print is to go into options, check a different port, click apply...wait for it to fail again.....then click the original port and hit apply again. This will temporarily fix my problem, but later when I try to print something, I have to go through the process again.

I have unistalled, re-installed software, etc...and gone through most of the common issues, cut cannot figure out what this issue is, especially since it worked fine for years...??

Please help....any ideas will be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 24 September 2006 - 08:19 PM

Have you downloaded the latest drivers from HP for this printer or did you install it using the old cd that came with it?

Is it connected by USB or serial port?

I assume you have XP with SP2, correct?

Open your device manager and see if there are any yellow or red warning icons in any of the catagories.

If there are, upgrade the drivers.

#3 ReeRayz

ReeRayz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 24 September 2006 - 09:31 PM

There are no updated drivers on their website. I used the one on the from the disk....but still using XP and it worked before.

It is connected to a router via USB port. I unplugged and put it directly into USB in comp, but that did not help - not sure if once I did that, I was supposed to re-do everything else as well...?

I have no red or yellow warning icons....

Edited by ReeRayz, 24 September 2006 - 09:32 PM.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2006 - 12:37 AM

When you plugged it into another usb port Windows should have seen new equipment - did it?

#5 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2006 - 02:07 PM

HP has had a pretty good tech support in my experience, what's the model of your printer? Say it on here, and also type it in to the website and then use their tool which will search your computer for any problem with the device. What ports are you switching back and forth with?

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2006 - 05:26 PM

You cannot use a router. You can use a print server.

The printer must be connected to the USB port on one of the computers.
You can share it with other computers by networking the printers with a router but the print server in that case will be the computer it is plugged into.

The printer must be set up for sharing (if that is what you want to do)
click start/settings/ choose printers and faxes, highlight the printer and right click and either choose sharing or properties then click the sharing tab.

The full software must be installed on all computers that will share this printer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users