Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor loses signal, fans speed up while gaming

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 MitjaHD

MitjaHD

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2017 - 01:15 PM

Yesterday I bought "The Forest" and I tried to play it and suddenly my monitor went black, after 2 seconds displaying "No signal" then completely black again. I had to restart the PC, tried to play again and now besides black screen the fans went loud until I restarted the PC.  I tried to play it a couple of more times and same thing, I can't get over about 30 minutes without monitor losing signal. I had the same problem weeks/months ago and I don't remember doing anything it just gone, now I'm not sure. Also some months ago my computer randomly restarted (kernel power 41  in event viewer), it was hdd issue, now it doesn't do this. I cleaned the PC, updated drivers, windows, nothing helps. I really want to solve this problem so I can play this game with my friend once and for all.

Specifications:

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i5 3330 @ 3.00GHz 41 °C
Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
RAM
8,00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. Z77-DS3H (Intel Core i5-3330 CPU @ 3.00GHz) 28 °C
Graphics
XG270HU (2560x1440@59Hz)
3071MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB (NVIDIA) 35 °C
Storage
931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZRX-00A3KB0 ATA Device (SATA) 35 °C
Optical Drives
Optiarc DVD RW AD-7280S ATA Device
Audio

Realtek High Definition Audio

Edited by MitjaHD, 25 November 2017 - 01:15 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 27 November 2017 - 12:25 PM

Let it lose signal again, then recover from that and immediately generate these 2 sets of reports:

Report Set #1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be experiencing BSOD's) so that we can provide a complete analysis: (from the pinned topic at the top of the forum)   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

If you have problems with it running it, there's an alternate tool here (direct download link):  https://github.com/blueelvis/BSOD-Inspector/releases/download/1.0.5/BSODInspector-1.0.5.exe

NOTE:
Please zip up the (.ZIP) files - do not use .RAR or other compression utilities. 
.ZIP is the type file that can be uploaded to the forums.

Report Set #2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504
The Event ID 41 error is simply Windows saying that it doesn't know why it shutdown.

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 MitjaHD

MitjaHD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2017 - 11:59 AM

Here they are. I set the game graphics to best possible and resolution to the biggest, it lost signal within 1 minute. The very first tool didn't work so I run the alternative one. Also this time the fans were spinning fast again, after the loss of signal.

Attached Files

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2017 - 07:58 AM

I don't think that this is causing the problem, but it does appear before the system shuts down (ESENT errors involving SRUJet database):
Try this:

Stop the Diagnostic Policy Service
Rename C:\Windows\System32\SRU\SRUDB.dat to SRUDB.BAD
Then restart the Diagnostic Policy Service

The hope here is that the SRUJet database is corrupted - and by renaming it you will force the system to recreate a new copy that doesn't have the corruption.

Beyond that, I didn't see any other problems in the Admin logfile that might be related to the shutdowns.

Usually this is a possible symptom for a hardware problem.

Your UEFI/BIOS (version F11a) dates from 2013.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.
FYI - W8 and W10 communicate more with the UEFI/BIOS than previous versions of Windows, so it's important to ensure that the UEFI/BIOS is kept up to date (and the outdated UEFI/BIOS' may be the cause of some compatibility issues).

Only 2 Windows Update hotfixes installed.  Most build 16299 (1709/Fall Creators Update) systems have more than this.  Please visit Windows Update and get ALL available Windows Updates.
The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

The rest of the reports that I looked at don't have much in the way of evidence either (this is suggestive of a hardware problem)>

The WER section of the MSINFO32 report does show a couple of Live Kernel Events - which may/may not be suggestive of a hardware problem.

Overall, I'd think that this was a hardware problem.
Have you monitored the temps as I asked in my previous post?  If so, what were they?

Try leaving the side of the case open so you can see which fans are spinning rapidly.

Beyond that, please start with these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Please finish ALL of them and let us know the results.
Then, if ALL of the tests pass, try this procedure to help isolate the problem device(s):  http://www.carrona.org/strpdown.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 MitjaHD

MitjaHD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2017 - 11:00 AM

I did the firest step. My bios driver is the lastest (2013 is last). Windows updates are messed up, it doesn't work like it should on windows 10. The last update I installed failed like 6 times and I had to download and install it manually, when I check for updates it finds none, it's says the the system is up to date. Temperatures are pretty normal I think. GPU doesn't go over 70C while gaming and CPU is even less. 

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2017 - 03:25 PM

We'll need Windows Update fixed.  Please post over in the Windows 10 forum.  Include the words "Windows Update problem" in the title of your topic to alert the Windows Update experts.

Continue with the hardware diagnostics in the meantime.

#7 MitjaHD

MitjaHD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2017 - 10:43 AM

I tried numerous things to "fix" windows update, I got 3 updates installed currently and it always says the system is up to date (which is it, but I'm still misssing old updates I guess?). For hardware. I opened the case and when my monitor lost signal I saw 2 GPU fans spinning faster than normal, others were spinning the same. As soon as I click the restart button the fans slowed down. I also ran windows ram diagnostic test and it found no errors.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2017 - 07:41 AM

I have to wonder about the fan behavior - but am not a hardware expert.
I'd ask about that over in the Internal Hardware forums:    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/7/internal-hardware/ 

#9 MitjaHD

MitjaHD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2017 - 11:19 AM

It's strange, because sometimes the fans speed up and sometimes they don't. And it looks the problem is getting worse. First I couldn't play "The Forest", now it does the same with "Unturned" and "Insurgency". I was able to play these 2 games before but now they lose signal too. I don't know what's wrong with playing games, it never loses signal when I watch youtube or just leave the pc on, only when I play games. Also I guess it's obvious but the sounds work normal when the monitor loses signal, I can even use keyboard (CTRL+ALT+DEL to "exit" game), but I don't see it of course, just hear it.

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2017 - 05:24 PM

Windows RAM diagnostic isn't as thorough as MemTest and Prime95

Please continue with the diagnostics that I suggested - especially the Furmark and Video 2 tests.

#11 MitjaHD

MitjaHD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2017 - 01:16 PM

Hmm, so far I've been playing games for few minutes/hours and the monitor hasn't lost the signal at all. All I remember doing before that is unplugging monitor cable (which i've done before too but it didn't help) and turning off and on the Power strip. Somehow it works now, Unurned works, The Forest too, Assassin's Creed 4 as well. Thanks everyone for the support if the problem appears again I will comment again otherwise I'm clear form here as the problem is solved, for now.

#12 MitjaHD

MitjaHD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2017 - 10:58 AM

Windows RAM diagnostic isn't as thorough as MemTest and Prime95

Please continue with the diagnostics that I suggested - especially the Furmark and Video 2 tests.

Sadly, the problem is back. After about 10 days I've experienced the same problem (mintor black, fans 100%) and I was just watching youtube videos. I really have no idea what is causing this, the computer was just turned on and I was watching some videos, this isn't too hard for hardware to handle, I could play games and I didn't get an error. I don't remember installing anything new, or changhing anything. 

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2017 - 12:42 PM

Please let me know the results of all of these tests:

1 - Antivirus/antimalware scans:  In short, if there are Trojans or other serious malware - start over in the Am I Infected forums
2 - Memory diagnostics:  Run MemTest86+ for at least 3 passes.  If booting from UEFI, run MemTest86 instead.  Let us know if there were any errors reported
3 - Hard Drive diagnostics:  Don't sweat the details here.  In short, run the Seagate Seatools Long/Extended test from a bootable disk.  If unable to run it from a bootable disk (UEFI and some others), then run the Seagate Seatools for Windows from within Windows.  There are no diagnostics for SSD's, just run the Crystal Mark tests and let us know if there were any failures
4 - Furmark:  run the test until the temperature stabilizes.  Don't let it get much over 90ºC.  Let us know the temp it stabilizes at and if there were any problems running the test (other than slowness).
5 - Prime95:  run the Blend test for 24 hours (this may not be possible, but run it as long as you can.  Look for errors in the output, or for problems running the test (freezes/crashes)
6 - Video 2 (other video tests):  there's several tests here.  Run all of them.  I'm especially interested in the Video Memory Test.  Let us know the results of the test(s)
  - A - simtek.org memtest
  - B - Video memory stress test
  - C - Artifact Locator
  - D - OCCT - 4 built in tests for CPU, GPU, PSU
  - E - Video Memory Stress Test
7 - CPU tests:  run at least one test on your CPU and let us know the result.
If you choose not to do them, then please let me know that also.

Then, if that doesn't point to something, I'll ask you to do a Clean Install of Windows:

A clean install is:
- Windows is installed to a freshly partitioned hard drive with legitimate installation media (W10:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 ).
- The installation media is only a copy of Windows, not the OEM recovery disks that you can make on some systems.
- Windows is fully updated after it's installed.  That's ALL updates - none excepted.
- NO 3rd party software is installed.
- There are no errors in Device Manager (if you find any, post back for suggestions).

This will wipe everything off of the computer, so it's advisable to backup your stuff first.
Also, it will wipe out all the special software that the OEM added to the system, so if you rely on any of that - let us know what it is so we can figure out a way to save/download it (the easiest way is to create/obtain the OEM;s recovery media)

If unable to find recovery media that has the software (or if you suspect that this is a hardware problem), you can make an image of your system that'll preserve everything in the state that it was in when you made the image.  You can also do this if you don't want to try another hard drive - yet you want to be able to return to the current system state.
One drawback to this is that you're making an image of a malfunctioning system - so, if there are errors in the system software, you'll have a nice copy of them :(
Another drawback is that the image of the system will be very large - so you'll most likely need a large external drive to store it on.
But, this will allow you to save everything on the hard drive (although you'll need an image viewer to get things out of the image).
The point here is that, if it's a hardware problem, then you can restore the system to the point it was when you made the image - after you repair the hardware problem.
You can obtain more info on imaging in the Backup/Imaging/DiskMgmt forums located here:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/238/backup-imaging-and-disk-management-software/

The point of doing this (the clean install) is to:
- rule out Windows as a problem (if the problem continues, it's not a Windows problem as you completely replaced Windows
- rule out 3rd party software (if the problem continues, it's not a 3rd party software problem as you didn't install any 3rd party software)
- so, if the problem continues, it must be a hardware problem.

OTOH, if the problem stops, then it was either a Windows or 3rd party software problem.  If the problem doesn't come back, then you've fixed it.  Then all that remains is setting the computer back up the way that you'd like it and importing your data from the backup you made.

Then, if that doesn't fix it, I'll ask you to perform this procedure to help isolate the problem part/parts:  http://www.carrona.org/strpdown.html

Good luck!

#14 MitjaHD

MitjaHD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2017 - 12:41 PM

Please let me know the results of all of these tests:

1 - Antivirus/antimalware scans:  In short, if there are Trojans or other serious malware - start over in the Am I Infected forums
2 - Memory diagnostics:  Run MemTest86+ for at least 3 passes.  If booting from UEFI, run MemTest86 instead.  Let us know if there were any errors reported
3 - Hard Drive diagnostics:  Don't sweat the details here.  In short, run the Seagate Seatools Long/Extended test from a bootable disk.  If unable to run it from a bootable disk (UEFI and some others), then run the Seagate Seatools for Windows from within Windows.  There are no diagnostics for SSD's, just run the Crystal Mark tests and let us know if there were any failures
4 - Furmark:  run the test until the temperature stabilizes.  Don't let it get much over 90ºC.  Let us know the temp it stabilizes at and if there were any problems running the test (other than slowness).
5 - Prime95:  run the Blend test for 24 hours (this may not be possible, but run it as long as you can.  Look for errors in the output, or for problems running the test (freezes/crashes)
6 - Video 2 (other video tests):  there's several tests here.  Run all of them.  I'm especially interested in the Video Memory Test.  Let us know the results of the test(s)
  - A - simtek.org memtest
  - B - Video memory stress test
  - C - Artifact Locator
  - D - OCCT - 4 built in tests for CPU, GPU, PSU
  - E - Video Memory Stress Test
7 - CPU tests:  run at least one test on your CPU and let us know the result.
If you choose not to do them, then please let me know that also.

Then, if that doesn't point to something, I'll ask you to do a Clean Install of Windows:

A clean install is:
- Windows is installed to a freshly partitioned hard drive with legitimate installation media (W10:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 ).
- The installation media is only a copy of Windows, not the OEM recovery disks that you can make on some systems.
- Windows is fully updated after it's installed.  That's ALL updates - none excepted.
- NO 3rd party software is installed.
- There are no errors in Device Manager (if you find any, post back for suggestions).

This will wipe everything off of the computer, so it's advisable to backup your stuff first.
Also, it will wipe out all the special software that the OEM added to the system, so if you rely on any of that - let us know what it is so we can figure out a way to save/download it (the easiest way is to create/obtain the OEM;s recovery media)

If unable to find recovery media that has the software (or if you suspect that this is a hardware problem), you can make an image of your system that'll preserve everything in the state that it was in when you made the image.  You can also do this if you don't want to try another hard drive - yet you want to be able to return to the current system state.
One drawback to this is that you're making an image of a malfunctioning system - so, if there are errors in the system software, you'll have a nice copy of them :(
Another drawback is that the image of the system will be very large - so you'll most likely need a large external drive to store it on.
But, this will allow you to save everything on the hard drive (although you'll need an image viewer to get things out of the image).
The point here is that, if it's a hardware problem, then you can restore the system to the point it was when you made the image - after you repair the hardware problem.
You can obtain more info on imaging in the Backup/Imaging/DiskMgmt forums located here:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/238/backup-imaging-and-disk-management-software/

The point of doing this (the clean install) is to:
- rule out Windows as a problem (if the problem continues, it's not a Windows problem as you completely replaced Windows
- rule out 3rd party software (if the problem continues, it's not a 3rd party software problem as you didn't install any 3rd party software)
- so, if the problem continues, it must be a hardware problem.

OTOH, if the problem stops, then it was either a Windows or 3rd party software problem.  If the problem doesn't come back, then you've fixed it.  Then all that remains is setting the computer back up the way that you'd like it and importing your data from the backup you made.

Then, if that doesn't fix it, I'll ask you to perform this procedure to help isolate the problem part/parts:  http://www.carrona.org/strpdown.html

Good luck!

I'll have to buy a new free drive to try all these tests, but I can do this only after new year, because now I have something importnat to write, so I can't mess anything even more. Now the problems seems to be worse, everytime I launch a game, within seconds the monitor loses signal and fans speed up. Unplugged everything, but still deosn't work. I'll try to perform these tests after I finsih with something important. 

#15 MitjaHD

MitjaHD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2017 - 01:14 PM

Also I tried to run avast complete (long) malware scan, it came to about 20% and then the problem appeared again, so I'm afraid that when I will try to perform the tests you gave me, the problem could happend and I won't be able to get results (I won't see the screen) and the only option is to restart or sometimes I have to completely shut down PC. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users