Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Asus X54C will power on but not boot.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Verger

Verger

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 25 November 2017 - 11:10 AM

This is my first time posting and I want to thank everyone in advance for their help!

I have an Asus x54c as mentioned, running Win10 64bit V1703 Build 15063.7, Core i3 3rd Gen, 6GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB Seagate HDD with stock MoBo and Intel onboard graphics.

I unplugged power, removed the battery, took the KB out and removed the cover, HDD, cleaned the fan, double checked all connectors and devices that I had taken off, and the ones I had not ( just in case I accidentally dislodged something) and then put everything back together.

The laptop worked fine when I started the breakdown, and I have taken it apart to clean it before and to replace HDD and it was always fine when finished. 

This time, however, I went to boot up the machine and it powers on and flashes the ASUS logo and goes to the cursor which blinks once or twice and then it just powers off. I already tried the surge and capacitor build-up release sequence (unplugging power, batt, holding down the power switch for a min or so, etc...) without success!
 I have looked up possible fixes on U-Tube,  tech FAQ's, and some forums, including this one. I haven't found an answer that suits my situation.

Does ANYONE have any ideas about what may be causing this to occur? I am not new to hardware install and repair or software support and config. This problem, however, is a new one on me and I have never come across it before.

All help is greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Ken

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 26 November 2017 - 11:33 AM

IMO you missed something, open it up again go slow you should find it.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 26 November 2017 - 11:56 AM

I agree.  If the laptop was working prior to mucking around inside I would suggest reopening the laptop and disassemble it and then very carefully reconnect everything.  Make sure that any ribbon connectors of properly connected and not broken, these a fragile.  Make sure that the hdd is firmly in place if is accessible at the point where you stopped taking the laptop apart. 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 26 November 2017 - 03:10 PM

Just forgetting to snap a ribbon retainer will cause mayhem!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 Verger

Verger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2017 - 01:06 PM

Unfortunately, loose, broken or unattached cabling wasn't the problem. I did, however, find the problem, the fan is not spinning up on power-on. I now need to determine the cause, fan or MoBo, it seems more likely that it's either the fan or the connector on the mobo itself.

The laptop, as I said, powers-on, do you think it could still be the mobo or most likely the fan at this point?

#6 Verger

Verger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2017 - 10:15 AM

I agree.  If the laptop was working prior to mucking around inside I would suggest reopening the laptop and disassemble it and then very carefully reconnect everything.  Make sure that any ribbon connectors of properly connected and not broken, these a fragile.  Make sure that the hdd is firmly in place if is accessible at the point where you stopped taking the laptop apart,

I was away for a day but last night I was working on it again and to answer your question, I originally just opened for maintenance as I have in the past, it was working fine at that point, however, this time it would power on and it almost immediately powered down.

Last night as I was testing I noticed that the fan did not spin-up immediately!

1. Is the fan supposed to spin-up at the exact time of power on, or does it wait for a few seconds? The reason I'm asking is that the entire time from power-on, ASUS logo flashing, cursor blinking once, and then power-down is approx 3 seconds?!? I know on my desktop the fan goes on immediately!
  2. Do you know what exactly happens precisely following the cursor blink with regards to firmware and software, or... ?
  3. I haven't replaced the CMOS battery as it was working well B4 I did the maintenance. Do you think the maint. may have drained and/or shorted it?
Any ideas or answers will be greatly appreciated by you and anyone who has had this particular problem as I have noticed from perusing many forums and this one as well, that this particular problem and/or very similar ones have happened with quite a few ASUS laptops!    I almost feel like  :smash:  the thing at this point. Up until now though it has been very good to me.

I still need this one though, as my partner and I have a consulting business we are just starting and don't have the $ to go out and buy a 2nd new laptop. (Last Wednesday I ordered an ASUS FX503VD, Core i5 7thGen, 1TB WD HDD, 8GB DDR4-2400 DRAM, GTX1050 graphics and a separate 120GB WD SSD to add to the spec.) I got it from Amazon during Black Friday week for 35% off. The reviews are good and it's a 2017 model so I hope to get many years of good use out of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users