Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building a computer but need some understand on the parts

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 goodluckman65

goodluckman65

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 25 November 2017 - 07:55 AM

I am not a tech wiz just an average guy(at 65) wanting a decent computer for light video editing and more complicated power pint & Camtasia rendering.  Currently I have a 5 year old Asus with 8 gigs of ram and a faded out keyboard which I dearly love but it is old.  I have searched every laptop and store in my area and and there is always  it would be a good place to buy...but it is not in my opinion.
something that turns me off.  I live in Thailand and you'd think

So I am now back to building one with the parts tat would make me happy....but I do not know how to evaluate them.  I did read instructions telling not to buy too cheap of a motherboard because it could be a problem.  I have selected 3 and I would like to know the difference in  price and performance please.

MSI Gaming AMD Ryzen X370 DDR4 VR Ready HDMI USB 3 SLI CFX ATX Motherboard (X370 GAMING PLUS)  $109
ASUS Prime B350-Plus AMD Ryzen AM4 DDR4 HDMI DVI VGA M.2 USB 3.1 ATX B350 Motherboard  -$69 ASUS Prime X370-Pro AMD Ryzen AM4 DDR4 DP HDMI M.2 USB 3.1 ATX X370 Motherboard with AURA Sync RGB Lighting $178
Am I being too cheap  and must I spend more money?  The Tech Deal guy on you tube said the $69 motherboard was a great deal......is he right?

Processor

Originally I was just going to purchase the ryzen 5 1400 thinking at my skill level that would be enough.  But again he said the ryzen 7 1700  for $269 was a screaming deal….do not want to buy overkill?  I do know I will grow and need more power later.  For example I like downloading and editing parts of a movie with Adobe premier Pro and Elements 15.  How much power do i need?
Same question with the  ram....is 8 gigs enough 16 better right? 
Not too make this post too long I  need to know about ssd brand like Crucial vs Samsung...am I just paying for the marketing with a name brand?

Thinking about

EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 GAMING, 2GB GDDR5, DX12 OSD Support (PXOC) Graphics Card 02G-P4-6150-KR $117
ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Mini, 4GB GDDR5 DisplayPort 128-bit Gaming Graphic Card (ZT-P10510A-10L) $129
 Does it really matter which one?

​I do apologize if this was too long but I would like to take advantage of Black Friday and save some money if possible  Thank You......Robert

Edited by hamluis, 25 November 2017 - 08:50 AM.
Removed huge text that made reading difficult

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 25 November 2017 - 09:05 AM

FWIW:  I believe that there are 2 things which help define the choices that go into building a system.

The most important, IMO, is what the potential builder...hopes is the result of her/his efforts.  In short...why is a system being built, what is the system to be used for routinely?

The other salient factor...is how much understanding a potential builder has...regarding what a computer is and why there are so many variations possible when it comes to configuring/assembling.  If the computer is being built to satisfy personal prefences that are not overly general, then others can assist with advice/suggestions.

Perhaps the 3d most important factor is...how much money is the potential builder willing to spend to work towards achieving what he/she wants.

I try never to allow some unseen 3d party...to dictate how I should spend my money...or tell me what I should want.  People are often willing enough to pass on opinions...without acknowledging that those opinions are the product of their orientation...and that orientation has nothing to do with the person willing to follow such blindly.

I would say that you should make your own decsions about building a system...or even whether you want to build a system...and not expect every little detail to be decided by strangers with a myriad of opinions based on what ...they would want/prefer.

Louis

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 25 November 2017 - 09:15 AM

Hi, if you are comfortable with spending the money on a Ryzen 1700 then it would seem the kind of uses you have in mind could take advantage of that power..  The 1600 is also good value, with 6 cores 12 threads, and a good bit cheaper.

You do not need to spend a lot on the motherboard.  Higher end ones typically have features aimed at hardcore overclockers, gamers with deep pockets (like support for SLI), and people who like lots of flashing lights (legion of RGB LEDs all over the board...).  The mid range is generally where you find a happy medium, with the B350 boards and the cheaper end of the X370 range.  Here you'll find boards with lots of USB 3 ports and headers, more than enough SATA ports, M.2. NVME support, 4 x RAM slots...  These are the kind of things I look for.

Memory. 16 is better, but pricing is not exactly attractive at the moment, even with deals.  I'm going through the same thing at the moment and shelled out on a 1700X, and MSI X370 Gaming Pro board, but for the time being am going for 8 Gb RAM with a view to upgrading when prices improve hopefully.

I got a Adata XPG8000 SSD with it.  It was at a reasonable price, and while it can't quite match the transfer rates of a Samsung 960, it's so fast that you wouldn't really notice the difference.  It leaves standard SATA drives for dead in any case. No it's not just marketing - Samsung are market leaders in the SSD space for a reason.  But they aren't the only choice.  If you are used to mechanical drives, then any SSD will be an eye opener.  Drives that use MLC memory (like the Adata which uses new 3D MLC) should in theory have better longevity that TLC based drives.  Having said that, failure rates on most seem to be low now, and better than HDD's. 

The 1050 Ti at $129 seems a nice deal.  It's a faster GPU and has double the memory compared to your slightly cheaper choice.  

Edited by jonuk76, 25 November 2017 - 09:29 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,616 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 25 November 2017 - 12:21 PM

Most b350 motherboards are good, got mine for $75 still works great.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users