Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

pops & crackles when playing music on my PC

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Artisticool1

Artisticool1

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 25 November 2017 - 07:01 AM

Hi Guys

As the heading says, for some months now I've been experiencing pops an crackles on my PC when playing music. The tracks themselves are clean, because I've played them through other PC's etc. I've combed the internet for an explanation and seen many different 'fixes'. However, although I tried some of them it's still happening and I'm getting fed up with it now. 

The music I'm playing is my own and I am overflowing with tracks I'd like to play, create, arrange. But I need help to move on, so I ran a piece of software that analysed my system while the music is playing. The software is called 'LatencyMon' a free software from 'resplendance.com'. I ran the software and here (below) is the result, I'd like someone to run their eyes over it, talk me through it's findings and help me sort it out...

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearing as drop outs, clicks or pops. One or more DPC routines that belong to a driver running in your system appears to be executing for too long. At least one detected problem appears to be network related. In case you are using a WLAN adapter, try disabling it to get better results. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates.
LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for  0:34:35  (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
SYSTEM INFORMATION
Computer name:                                        MYTHICOOL1
OS version:                                           Windows 7 Service Pack 1, 6.1, build: 7601 (x64)
Hardware:                                             ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., P8H61-M LE/USB3
CPU:                                                  GenuineIntel Intel® Core™ i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz
Logical processors:                                   8
Processor groups:                                     1
RAM:                                                  16086 MB total

CPU SPEED
Reported CPU speed:                                   3502 MHz
Measured CPU speed:                                   1 MHz (approx.)

Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.

WARNING: the CPU speed that was measured is only a fraction of the CPU speed reported. Your CPUs may be throttled back due to variable speed settings and thermal issues. It is suggested that you run a utility which reports your actual CPU frequency and temperature.

MEASURED INTERRUPT TO USER PROCESS LATENCIES
The interrupt to process latency reflects the measured interval that a usermode process needed to respond to a hardware request from the moment the interrupt service routine started execution. This includes the scheduling and execution of a DPC routine, the signaling of an event and the waking up of a usermode thread from an idle wait state in response to that event.

Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs):   14805.977830
Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs):   4.606259

Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       14798.083024
Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       1.350360

REPORTED ISRs
Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.

Highest ISR routine execution time (µs):              456.696745
Driver with highest ISR routine execution time:       HDAudBus.sys - High Definition Audio Bus Driver, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%):          0.013965
Driver with highest ISR total time:                   hal.dll - Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in ISRs (%)                          0.029030

ISR count (execution time <250 µs):                   2427390
ISR count (execution time 250-500 µs):                0
ISR count (execution time 500-999 µs):                1
ISR count (execution time 1000-1999 µs):              0
ISR count (execution time 2000-3999 µs):              0
ISR count (execution time >=4000 µs):                 0

REPORTED DPCs
DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution.

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs):              1618.870931
Driver with highest DPC routine execution time:       ndis.sys - NDIS 6.20 driver, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%):          0.080259
Driver with highest DPC total execution time:         rspLLL64.sys - Resplendence Latency Monitoring and Auxiliary Kernel Library, Resplendence Software Projects Sp.

Total time spent in DPCs (%)                          0.158946

DPC count (execution time <250 µs):                   13012309
DPC count (execution time 250-500 µs):                0
DPC count (execution time 500-999 µs):                2143
DPC count (execution time 1000-1999 µs):              25
DPC count (execution time 2000-3999 µs):              0
DPC count (execution time >=4000 µs):                 0

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS
Hard pagefaults are events that get triggered by making use of virtual memory that is not resident in RAM but backed by a memory mapped file on disk. The process of resolving the hard pagefault requires reading in the memory from disk while the process is interrupted and blocked from execution.

NOTE: some processes were hit by hard pagefaults. If these were programs producing audio, they are likely to interrupt the audio stream resulting in dropouts, clicks and pops. Check the Processes tab to see which programs were hit.

Process with highest pagefault count:                 firefox.exe

Total number of hard pagefaults                       1121
Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process:          199
Highest hard pagefault resolution time (µs):          144665.890348
Total time spent in hard pagefaults (%):              0.009038
Number of processes hit:                              22

PER CPU DATA
CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       84.339935
CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs):                456.696745
CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s):                   4.820721
CPU 0 ISR count:                                      2427391
CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs):                1618.870931
CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s):                   25.995270
CPU 0 DPC count:                                      12968405
CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       52.201989
CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
CPU 1 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs):                291.174757
CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.026425
CPU 1 DPC count:                                      2009
CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       41.692858
CPU 2 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
CPU 2 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
CPU 2 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (µs):                267.771559
CPU 2 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.107950
CPU 2 DPC count:                                      12445
CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       54.677973
CPU 3 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
CPU 3 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
CPU 3 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (µs):                365.691605
CPU 3 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.011223
CPU 3 DPC count:                                      695
CPU 4 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       56.547644
CPU 4 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
CPU 4 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
CPU 4 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 4 DPC highest execution time (µs):                304.920046
CPU 4 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.108758
CPU 4 DPC count:                                      14359
CPU 5 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       58.721184
CPU 5 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
CPU 5 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
CPU 5 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 5 DPC highest execution time (µs):                286.022273
CPU 5 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.011051
CPU 5 DPC count:                                      719
CPU 6 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       49.252482
CPU 6 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
CPU 6 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
CPU 6 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 6 DPC highest execution time (µs):                307.327242
CPU 6 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.119513
CPU 6 DPC count:                                      14975
CPU 7 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       47.890140
CPU 7 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
CPU 7 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
CPU 7 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 7 DPC highest execution time (µs):                279.029126
CPU 7 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.014233
CPU 7 DPC count:                                      870

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artisticool1

Artisticool1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2017 - 10:22 AM

Update

"In case you are using a WLAN adapter, try disabling it to get better results."

I'm not, I'm connected via ethernet cable.

"...disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup."

Did this, it hasn't made any difference.

"Check for BIOS updates"

My Bios is dated 2013, so there is a good chance there is an update by now. So I ran CPUID CPU-Z and it said it found an update for the BIOS, among a few other things (no surprise there then). However, it wanted me to pay for them, I'm sure I should be able to get them/it for nothing somewhere?

My MOBO is ASUS P8H61-M LE/USB3, so I went to the ASUS website for updates, but couldn't find out how to actually get them? I just seemed to be going round in circles.

#3 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 841 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 27 November 2017 - 01:43 PM

the last bios version is ver 4601  from 2014.

those programs that verify drivers/bios always say there is an update available to get you to buy their software.  it's not needed, check your version by loading into the bios at boot up.

here is the download link if your's is older.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8H61M_LE/HelpDesk_BIOS/

do your volume at full volume?  if so that could cause the issue.  or an old power supply with caps starting to go bad. or if motherboard caps are going bad.  external devices connected to the computer can also introduce noise into the system.

#4 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 28 November 2017 - 04:17 AM

What program are you using to play this music?

Have you used another program and still have the same problem?

Is the problem just with your music files or do you have the same issue with other things with sound (youtube, podcasts, etc.).

Do you have the same problem if you listen with headphones or earbuds if you have no headphones?

Since your motherboard does not come with speakers are you able to connect your sound system to another computer to test?

Do you have any other set of speakers from another system to plug into yours to test?

(see if the problem follows the speakers/sound device you have attached).

If you do this we will know more about your system, the BIOS you have and information about your video, audio device/drivers (no guessing or trying things):

Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

msinfo32

Click OK, and when the System Summary info appears, click Edit, Select All (Ctrl-A), Copy (Ctrl-C) and then paste (Ctrl-V) the information back here in your next reply.

For video device and driver information, expand the Components, click Display, click Edit, Select All, Copy and then paste the information back here.

For audio device and driver information, expand the Components, click Sound Device, click Edit, Select All, Copy and then paste the information back here. 

There will be some personal information (like System Name and User Name), and whatever appears to be private information to you, just delete it from the pasted information.

Edited by joseibarra, 28 November 2017 - 05:04 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#5 Artisticool1

Artisticool1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2017 - 11:07 AM

Thanx for the link mightywiz appreciate it. I'll hang on to that, in case I need it in the future?

Joseibarra my thanx also to you.

However I'm hanging back from my response as per your requests for the mo'. As I've been having a slight problem with a programme I recentally installed from Ashampoo. It's called WinOptimizer 15. I've been in talks on a daily basis with them, while they are trying to fix a minor problem at boot. They asked what programmes I have running in the background and they suggested removing two of them, as they might be causing a conflict. Those being Avast AntiVirus and Baidu PC Faster. As they are both free editions and as it happens I've just received the free full McAffee AntiVirus Plus, from my ISP provider, I saw it as a no brainer and uninstalled them.

Ironically, this move seems to have fixed my pops an crackles problem. As I have since played a long track on YouTube, followed by something of my own. without a hiccup in either respect. Sadly though from the point of view of Ashampoo that problem still remain in evidence. So i guess they aren't going to be best pleased when I tell them.

But if I should get an occurance of the pops an crackles problem again, at least I now know what details I have to submit for your attention and advice.

Thanx again guys

and Merry Xmas Cheers

Edited by Artisticool1, 28 November 2017 - 11:36 AM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2017 - 11:19 AM

If you have avast internet security with the firewall it has been know to cause latency issues. In any case uninstall avast and see if you still have the latency issues. 

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/audio-stutter-judder-delays-dpc-latency-issues-1087530.html

BC does not recommend the use of any Windows Optimizers/registry cleaners.

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 November 2017 - 11:21 AM.

#7 Artisticool1

Artisticool1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2017 - 05:32 AM

Hi John

Thanx for your input, however, Avast with a Firewall is a paid for version. I'm strictly a Freeware junkie. Unless, as in the case of McAfee it's a gift.

#8 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2017 - 06:18 AM

Some would consider McAfee a curse.

Out of curiosity I ran LatencyMon on two systems here - one where Windows 7 has been installed for 7+ years and another one I assembled yesterday so it is quite fresh and both are running smoothly.  One is not running any AV software (zero startup items) and one is running MSE.

On both systems Latency Mon starts up and after a bit I get the same message "Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks..."  but I have never noticed any audio dropouts but I am also not an audiophile - just thought I'd check out what LatencyMon had to say.  Both systems seem to be quite zippy to me.

If your system is now running smoothly what does LatencyMon have to say about it now?

I'm wondering how credible is the report from LatencyMon about these systems having a problem when I don't think they are having a problem.

Does LatencyMon always report a problem?

Is there any system where LatencyMon runs and does not report a problem?

Edited by joseibarra, 29 November 2017 - 06:19 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#9 Artisticool1

Artisticool1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2017 - 10:43 AM

Hi joseibarra

"Some would consider McAfee a curse."

I hear ya and I would have probably been one of them too. However, you have to have some sort of free anti-virus and that's one of only three things I'm using out of its arsenal. The other two being Firewall and Web Protection. As said it was a freebe from my ISP with whom I'll be parting company with when my contract runs out sometime early next year. Then I'll also be saying bye bye to McAffee.   

As for LatencyMon, just tried it again and yes, as before it did go into red. But unlike before it wasn't to do with latency directly, it was to do with Hard Pagefaults causing Buffer Underrun or visa versa. Apparently, Buffer underrun affects video.

Did you do what it told you to, read the stats? If you did you will have seen the name/s of the culprit/s. I did and for me this time it was McAffee and Ashampoo WinOptimizer's (LiveTuner).  This is what has also been giving me trouble. 

But either way, it isn't affectiing how my music sounds now.

Edited by Artisticool1, 29 November 2017 - 10:57 AM.

#10 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2017 - 11:11 AM

I see - I did not look at it that much (not that curious).

I wonder if anyone in BC would suggest ever using McAfee - I would never install it even for free.

Page Faults are not a problem but people think there is a problem because it has the word Fault in it when in fact they are normal (enable the comumn in Task Manager).

Some notes I wrote about Page Faults in XP when somebody complained Page Faults were causing their system to run slow still apply to Windows 7:

A Page Fault does not mean there is a problem.

A Page Fault generally means the application needs some data that is not in the physical memory (RAM) at the time.  When the application needs some data that is not in the local memory and has to retrieve it from the Paging File on the hard disk that is one way you will see a Page Fault generated.

It sounds sort of bad since it has the word "Fault" in it, but it is really normal.  If you invoke your Task Manager after a reboot (don't use any browser), all the applications are likely to have at least some page Faults even though you just rebooted and haven't "done" anything yet.

Some applications might generate a few hundred or few thousand Page Faults on a restart and then not change.  The only thing in Task Manager that will have zero Page Faults is the System Idle Process, but that is a special case:

Knowing what a Page Fault is, you can understand that if your system might not have enough RAM for your operations, then Windows is going to need to go out to the Paging File more often to get the stuff it needs because the stuff it needs might not be in RAM when it needs it.  Every time it does that, you will have a Page Fault.  

The less RAM you have, the more your applications will have to hit the Paging File to get their data, but you may be able to control some of that, and you may not even "notice" the Page Faults at all - they are happening all the time.

You might then think that if you turned off your Paging File and ran with no Paging File, you would see zero Page Faults in Task Manager.  That sounds good, but that is not the way things work.  Windows works best when you have a Paging File set to System Managed Size (usually) so you would probably not want to run without a Paging File.

The reason you would still see Page Faults in Task Manager is because there are hard Page Faults and soft Page Faults, and you would then be seeing soft Page Faults.

A hard Page fault would be an access to the Paging File on the hard disk.  A soft Page Fault would just be a shuffling or rearranging of things that are in already in memory.  Task Manager just lumps them all into the Page Fault column and you can't tell the difference between the two.

Since Task Manager lumps both kinds of page Faults into one column you will need other performance monitoring tools with more granularity (like Perfmon) that allow you to separate Page Faults into soft Page Faults and hard Page Faults.    If you turn off your Paging File and use Perfmon to split the Page Faults up into the different types and track them separately, and have no Paging File, you will see zero hard Page Faults, but still see soft Page Faults as a separate counter.

The more your system and those applications run, the more Page Faults will accumulate for that application until the application ends and restarts, then the Page Fault counters starts over again and will keep going up, up, up and up - it does not necessarily mean you have a problem and PFs are unlikely to be the cause of your performance issues.

I don't think you will see them going down but you can start them over by restarting the application.

For example, your WWW browser might just keep accumulating Page Faults as you browse the Wide Wide World of Web or until you restart it but that does not mean your browser is broken.

If you are using Firefox it doesn't take much browsing for it to generate tens of millions of Page Faults but it is working fine.  Close Firefox and restart it and the Page Fault counter will start again from zero (but you will never see it at zero).

#11 Artisticool1

Artisticool1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2017 - 07:19 AM

Hi joseibarra

"I did not look at it that much (not that curious)"

You were curious enough to download and run it?

However, that aside, it is this statement...

"(not that curious)"

...it doesn't sit right with me. After all, your picture is one of a cat! You can't have a cat for your alter ego and then say, your...

"not that curious"

Haven't you heard the saying...

"Curiousity killed the cat" 

I've had a few pet cats in my time, but I couldn't 'hand on heart' say that none were that curious. You're the first I've come accross.

Regarding 'Page Faults', to be honest, I've never given them much thought. But being as you have made the effort to tell me about it, I thought the least I could do was make the effort to look at Task Manager. Well, I looked but couldn't see any specific listing for Page Faults.

Would you like to point me in the right direction? 

PS Breaking news...

I just thought you might like to know Ashampoo have drawn a blank on the problem I was having with 'Live Tuner' and have kindly offerred me a refund. Which I have just accepted.

All's Well That Ends Well

Edited by Artisticool1, 30 November 2017 - 08:50 AM.

#12 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2017 - 12:14 PM

Sometimes when folks are troubleshooting performance problems and look in Task Manager and see the Page Faults column and for some processes like your browsers the number just keeps getting bigger and bigger and Explorer.exe is slowly creeping up little by little and neither ever stop.

So they jump to the conclusion that their performance problem is because of all these Page Faults because nothing that has the word "fault" in it can be good.

In Windows that is not the case as Page Faults are just Windows doing it's job of managing memory.

Enable the column in your Task Manager like this:

[attachment=200105:1.jpg]

Then watch it for a while and see what keeps creeping upward.

The longer your system is running the bigger the numbers will get but it is not a problem.

The only Process that will have zero Page Faults is the System Idle Process but that is a special case.

Then restart your system and right away check Task Manger without "doing" anything and you will still see Page Faults on every process (except System Idle).

Then a popular but short sighted course of action is to start messing with the Paging File (because it is a PAGE fault) but depending on how much RAM you have and how much space you have on your HDD it is usually best to just let Windows manage the Paging File unless you think you know more about it than Windows knows about it.

Then after all that tweaking and adjusting, there will be no measurable increase in performance (yes - I measure before and after adjusting).

Then learn what Page Faults are and why they are not a problem and not the reason a system is performing poorly - look elsewhere.

Edited by joseibarra, 30 November 2017 - 05:19 PM.

#13 Karitomua

Karitomua

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 30 November 2017 - 01:30 PM

Thank you very much for the time and the shared information in the forum.

Regards

#14 Artisticool1

Artisticool1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2017 - 06:41 AM

Okay, yes I see. I note there is also the ability to select 'Page Fault Delta', what is that? 

I have another question although it is only related indirectly to the above. That being, in the picture you show which explains how to access the Page Fault, I noted that you only have one 'Firefox.exe' in your list. Why then do  I have five instances of 'Firefox.exe' and all have escalating Page Faults?  

Edited by Artisticool1, 01 December 2017 - 09:01 AM.

#15 achzone

achzone

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 05 December 2017 - 11:39 PM

I had a similar problem once and the cause turned out to be that my speakers were USB powered.  Switching over to utility powered speakers fixed the problem for me.

Just a thought..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users