Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows defender switched off

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Cluless

Cluless

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 25 November 2017 - 05:24 AM

Hi Guys

I am running a laptop with Windows 10 os. I have windows defender as my AV and Malwarebytes Premium as my anti malware. Which by the way I believe offers me comprehensive cover.

Today I find that Windows defender is switched off deferring to Malwarebytes as the main AV program.   Any thoughts? 

regards

Cluey 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,076 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 25 November 2017 - 08:58 AM

By default, Malwarebytes automatically decides whether or not to register itself with Windows Action Center settings based on your system. You can override this behavior in Malwarebytes > Settings > Application tab and choose to "Never register Malwarebytes in the Windows Action Centre"MB3andWAC_1.png
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Cluless

Cluless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2017 - 06:26 AM

Hi Quietman, thanks for response, it is good to talk with you again.

I know that the new Malwarebytes has some antivirus capability but is it comprehensive? Would you advise me to leave the system as it is  or change it back?

regards 

Cluey

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,076 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2017 - 07:27 AM

Although the marketing of Malwarebytes 3.x Premium "claims" it can be used as a replacement for an existing anti-virus, it is not an anti-virus...see here. Malwarebytes has limitations and lacks many constructs that a traditional anti-virus applications employ...it is not a historical anti malware solution...meaning it does not detect legacy malware, it does not target scripted malware, document files, media files and it is incapable of of removing malicious code that has been prepended or injected into legitimate files (i.e. file infectors, Trojan patches). The Anti-Exploit module is primarily for protection against software exploitation... it does not protect against social engineering, the human exploit often resulting from fraud, spam and phishing emails.

This is a more detailed explanation by David H. Lipman, a trusted Security Colleague and Malware Researcher/Analyst.

MBAM is not an anti virus application and does not replace an an anti virus application. MBAM is an adjunct, complimentary, anti malware application.

In its role as a adjunct, complimentary, anti malware application it has limitations in aspects that the anti virus application performs in its role. MBAM does not target script files...It also does not target document files...media files...MBAM targets mainly non-viral malware. The exception being a virus dropper (a malware file that drops a virus and starts a virus infection but is not infected with the virus) and worms (such as Internet worms and AutoRun worms). MBAM is incapable of removing malicious code that has been prepended, appended or cavity injected into a legitimate file. That means if a file infecting virus infects a legitimate file MBAM will be unable to remove the malicious code...MBAM is not a historical anti malware solution. That means it will not target old malware. It's intent is to target 0-Day malware. Malware that is infecting computers Today with malware found in-the-wild, Today...With all the things that that MBAM can not do, it is not an anti virus application and it remains an anti malware application which relegates it to its complimentary position.

Dave provides the same explanation in this topic at Malwarebytes where he provides assistance on the forums board.

That indicates to me that Malwarebytes 3.x Premium is still better served as an adjunct anti-malware solution to complement and strengthen your protection when utilizing a traditional anti-virus solution.
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Cluless

Cluless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2017 - 05:30 AM

Thanks for info. It is interesting to note that the Malwarebytes website says it makes "antivirus obsolete" on its homepage.

regards

Cluey

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,076 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2017 - 06:35 AM

You're welcome.