Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I found an Alienware Area-51 750i computer in the trash..

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 magichimp

magichimp

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 25 November 2017 - 12:21 AM

I found an Alienware Area-51 750i  computer in the trash, I got it working, reformatted it and then gave it to a friend for his son. The kid played for about 6 months and then it died. He said he had been playing and the computer would get hot as hell 100 was what he called it. He was playing, it froze, he could not get out nor escape so he forced it off. When he went to boot back up, black screen and neither his gaming keyboard lights lit up nor did his gaming mouse light up either, the computer works but I have a black screen. They brought back to me and the first thing I noticed was there was no post beep, so I went about taking it apart. I removed the graphics card and reinstalled it to make sure it was not loose. No dice. I removed the ram, replaced them in another order, nothing. I then went about removing the battery and moving the jumper pin over, reboot, still nothing, mind you, I went thru the next process of leaving out the graphics card, power on and looking for any beep, nothing, same with, ram. I can only assume that it maybe the mother board? Anyhow.. here are the specs.

Below has been modified thanks to CyberSec_ET question

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor
Motherboard asus p5n-d NVIDIA 750i SLI Chipset 

Card EVGA GEFORCE GTX 670

Alienware brand 750 watt power supply.

8GB of DDR2

My question is.. Am I on the right track thinking the mobo is shot? If so, I would like to replace the mobo, cpu, RAM and Power supply. The boys father is tight with his money but he wont deny his son all the way considering Christmas is around the corner. If you had to upgrade these and you consider yourself on a budget but still want a pretty good gaming computer, what would you buy? I called him and asked him what he was willing to spend but he never called me back lol

https://prnt.sc/hez8k7

https://prnt.sc/hez8u0

Any help or discussion on the subject is welcomed and appreciated, even if you have something crazy to say :D lol Thank you.

Edited by magichimp, 25 November 2017 - 08:53 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CyberSec_ET

CyberSec_ET

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 25 November 2017 - 03:01 AM

So you are saying that the computer runs on three cpu's??

That doesn't make sense, what cpu does it primary run on.

Edited by hamluis, 25 November 2017 - 03:04 PM.

#3 magichimp

magichimp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2017 - 07:13 AM

ha. it had me too. I googled it
http://www.computer-specifications.com/specifications/Alienware-Area51750i-Specs.html

Do I have to take it apart to find which is the primary? Because I have yet to disassemble the computer. I only took it apart to clean it out of all the dust bunnies. 

I really am not a very computer savy and that is why I am here asking for your guy's help.

Found another article.
http://www.topnews.in/alienware-area51-750i-desktop-pc-starts-1049-291067
I can only assume it's the extreme?

My ass umption was wrong. I took it apart and learned it was Intel Core 2 Duo Processor
https://prnt.sc/hf2vi9

:)

Edited by hamluis, 25 November 2017 - 03:05 PM.

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,215 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 25 November 2017 - 02:47 PM

Yeah its possible that things are shot on the motherboard, it might have been thrown out for a reason.

But you already have a case you could in theory mod this.

It seems it takes a standard ATX motherboard.

Get that baby a new motherboard, power supply, processor, GPU and make it live again.

I would wait for the owner to respond but call him and say if hes got maybe $500 hes got himself a revived machine.

If not you can turn it into a standard non gaming workstation for now and then have the opwner have you upgrade it.

Pop a pentium or something into it, should do.

Edited by MadmanRB, 25 November 2017 - 02:51 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#5 magichimp

magichimp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2017 - 03:47 PM

The people who tossed it out were moving and they threw a lot of things away but I jumped on the computer first if not just for the case and the parts but once I took it home and once I discovered the SATA cable was missing I got one and boom, it worked. The funny thing is, it's  1 TB hd and there was not one byte left on the drive lol and it was slow as hell. I reformatted and all worked well. I never had it longer than a day after I reformatted and my friends son had no complaints until last week that he said it was getting hot. I have to wait for my friend to get back to me, I am sure he is thinking about it and I am sure his son is going to bug him to fork out the cash but that is left to be seen. I feel bad for the kid because he wanted a large monitor and he was going to get that for Christmas but now that the computer died, he most likely wont get the large monitor due to the cost of repairing the computer :(

Edited by hamluis, 27 November 2017 - 06:03 AM.

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,215 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2017 - 04:46 PM

Well the thing to ask is what games does the kid play.

If this is a gaming PC maybe you should ask the type of games they play and you can fudge a budget.

Even if you have to do ultra cheap by popping in a low end motherboard armed with a pentium and a single stick of ram it will still work for the most part.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#7 magichimp

magichimp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2017 - 02:18 PM

Thank you. I should find out by Monday and I will come back and ask for some assistance on picking and choosing since this is a bit confusing to me.

Edited by hamluis, 27 November 2017 - 06:02 AM.

#8 magichimp

magichimp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2017 - 12:48 PM

Ok, I am back. He only wanted to invest $200 dollars. I told him let's see what we can do with $350. So my question is.. What can we do with $350. I am thinking we need a mother board, processor, memory and a CD/DVD drive.
He asked me if he could use his old memory and I told him I was not sure and the ram is as follows
2- 1GB 1Rx8 PC2-6400-66

2- 2 GB DD2 DIMM J

I do want to also replace the Power Supply but I don't think we would have enough money to make it happen. Anyhow, your thoughts on a build? He is a bit mad because he says he does not need the computer for gaming and the kid should be using it for school and not games. Is the budget capable of meeting a cheap gaming system of any kind? If not, we can just focus on making it a school computer if that makes any sense to those reading and wanting to chime in. Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions.

#9 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,215 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2017 - 12:56 PM

No that kind of money doesn't really get you far, it's too small of a budget to do anything with and you might as well say to the owner look online somewhere and buy another machine Walmart has plenty of nice pre-owned machines online are refurbished and capable of what he is doing but for a build yeah this is really pushing it unless you go to eBay

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#10 magichimp

magichimp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2017 - 01:26 PM

No that kind of money doesn't really get you far, it's too small of a budget to do anything with and you might as well say to the owner look online somewhere and buy another machine Walmart has plenty of nice pre-owned machines online are refurbished and capable of what he is doing but for a build yeah this is really pushing it unless you go to eBay

Ok, I will relay the message. So, in your gestimation, how much money does he need to go on with the Alien Machine?

Edited by magichimp, 27 November 2017 - 07:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users