Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox browser severe slowdown; CPU Usage 100%

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#16 sbutk1

sbutk1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 16 January 2018 - 02:01 PM

Truthfully...I'd like to know just what "signs" you have seen of a possible hard drive problem...after you seemed to be in denial of such with your assertion that the drive passed the suggested diagnostic.

You did not seem convinced by the fact that Windows was recording hard drive controller problems.

For the record...anything installed on a hard drive which has problems...is subject to not run/function properly.  That means Windows, programs, data files...and browsers.  If you merely had a browser problem...that should be solveable by using a different browser...or uninstalling/reinstalling said browser (if it were damaged).

And, of course, there is always the possibility of malware.  This is not the forum for assessing situations that have a malware aspect.  If you suspect such, I suggest posting in the Am I infected forum (link in my signature).

FWIW:  I use Firefox with my XP install...your Speccy snapshot reflects abnormal memory usage for the CSRSS and the Firefox services.  Such can be an indication of malware.

Louis

Hi.  Thank you again for your response.  You’ll have to pardon my novice once again, as I didn’t even recognize the warning signs about the “controller problems” that you’re referring to above.  Further signs that I would probably do well to replace my current hard drive.

I really do not recall the age of this present one; it’s entirely possible it resided in another computer before being swapped into mine where it is now.

Anyway, a few “signs” / error messages that I encountered the other day (i.e. right before I made mention of them) were as follows, upon booting up my computer that morning:

-Black screen with white text: “Hard-disk drive failure; Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility.”  [I hit F1.]

-Another black screen with white text: “Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key.”  [I did a hard reboot with the computer’s master switch.]

-Computer rebooted with black screen and white text, asking me if I wanted to enter Safe Mode or start Windows normally.  [I chose to start Windows normally.]

-Everything booted up normally that time, without the error messages.

And actually, since that time I did run my up-to-date Webroot anti-virus/-malware software, and everything came back negative.  So I think that type of problem can probably be ruled out.

So the indications are certainly beginning to add up for me, and point in the direction of a new hard drive.  With all due respect, I would like to seek your opinion on whether would agree that that sort of fix is likely to relieve me from the woes I’ve documented here.

Thanks again for your continued assistance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 19 January 2018 - 01:37 PM

I would run the diagnostic suggested HERE, following instructions provided by Sintharious.

Louis

#18 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,855 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2018 - 02:51 PM

What are you using this Drive for:  Why don't you unplug this drive if it is not needed and Restart the pc and see how it runs? 

3725GB Western Digital WD My Passport 25E2 USB Device (USB (SATA)): 

Error: (11/30/2017 03:39:28 PM) (Source: Disk) (User: )

Description: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk2\DR2.

Looks as though you have two antivirus, you need to disable one of them?

Norton AntiVirus

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#19 sbutk1

sbutk1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2018 - 04:46 PM

I would run the diagnostic suggested HERE, following instructions provided by Sintharious.

Louis

I'll give that a try, thanks.

#20 sbutk1

sbutk1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2018 - 04:50 PM

What are you using this Drive for:  Why don't you unplug this drive if it is not needed and Restart the pc and see how it runs? 

3725GB Western Digital WD My Passport 25E2 USB Device (USB (SATA)): 

Error: (11/30/2017 03:39:28 PM) (Source: Disk) (User: )

Description: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk2\DR2.

Looks as though you have two antivirus, you need to disable one of them?

Norton AntiVirus

That external drive is being used primarily to back up my digital photos.  It is therefore unplugged 95% of the time, and just happened to be plugged in at the time of the scan whose results you've seen.  However, I can assure you these problems are present whether the drive is plugged in or not.

I will follow your advice on the Norton AntiVirus software, though.

#21 sbutk1

sbutk1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2018 - 08:15 PM

Louis

I'll give that a try, thanks.

When the Extended Self-Test finished running, it gave the – somewhat surprising (to me, anyway) – result: “Completed without error”.

I have saved the result; as I’m not sure you’re aware, it is lengthy, so I’m not sure whether you’d like me to paste it here.

The Attributes tab does show a line highlighted in red/pink: “184 End to End Error”.

Screenshots of the relevant tabs detailed in Sintharius’s post are as follows:

39756253112_1b07f9049a_m.jpgCapture - GSmartControl_1 Perform Tests by sbutk, on Flickr

39077786194_8fe6dc07ea_m.jpgCapture - GSmartControl_2 Attributes a by sbutk, on Flickr

39756252062_9defd04682_m.jpgCapture - GSmartControl_2 Attributes b by sbutk, on Flickr

39077783364_80351788c9_m.jpgCapture - GSmartControl_3 Self-Test Logs a by sbutk, on Flickr

24917702907_f4c7ec8d53_m.jpgCapture - GSmartControl_3 Self-Test Logs b by sbutk, on Flickr

39077781214_21cd92b114_m.jpgCapture - GSmartControl_3 Self-Test Logs c by sbutk, on Flickr

24917702077_88ee045478_m.jpgCapture - GSmartControl_3 Self-Test Logs d by sbutk, on Flickr

39756247282_b347bd9232_m.jpgCapture - GSmartControl_3 Self-Test Logs e by sbutk, on Flickr

Also please note that the Error Log tab shows (in red): “ATA Error Count: 6”

Thanks.

#22 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,855 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2018 - 08:31 AM

I’m having a severe slowdown problem with my computer that I want to say started last Tuesday (11/14/17)

Is this problem only Internet Based, or are you having other glitches using things like File Explorer, Office, Disk Management, Device Manager, Photo Viewer, Menu etc.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#23 sbutk1

sbutk1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2018 - 10:47 PM

I’m having a severe slowdown problem with my computer that I want to say started last Tuesday (11/14/17)

Is this problem only Internet Based, or are you having other glitches using things like File Explorer, Office, Disk Management, Device Manager, Photo Viewer, Menu etc.

I would have to say YES to the "glitches" (e.g. frequently a MS Word file will take "forever" to load/save; or another eon may pass by before a certain folder is opened within Windows Explorer. 

However, I've always noticed that these troubles present themselves while I'm also browsing with Firefox (which is admittedly most of the time).  Like it's hogging all the system's resources, leaving other mundane tasks to take an eternity to complete.  Once I use Task Manager to kill FF, everything functions much more fluidly again.  [FF memory usage, according to Task Manager, has slowly crept north of 2 GB; might just be me, but I have trouble believing that's normal.]

I've tried (more than once) uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox, but the problem hasn't alleviated.  What hamluis said earlier about a faulty harddrive potentially dragging everything other operation down with it has me nearly convinced that the drive is the culprit - I'm just hoping a smoking gun will present itself sooner or later and allow me to easily remedy this problem.

#24 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,855 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2018 - 10:19 AM

I'm not super knowledgeable with diagnosis, but I would say from what I've seen your HDD is ok.  The problem you are describing with FF is real and is mucking up other things like you've described.  There are others having the same issues on the net.  If folks cannot help you here you should go straight to the source and report this.  Here is a fix that worked for some and a link below it.  Maybe symptoms are different than yours?  I'll also leave a link to fixing memory usage diagnostics.  The fix directly below helped at least 22 people.

could you go to the firefox menu ≡ > help ? > troubleshooting information page and take a look in the Accessibility section if accessibility is set to "true" there.

if yes, can you please copy & paste this whole section into a reply in the forum and see if the following fixes the performance problem: go to the firefox menu ≡ > options > privacy & security panel and under permissions check the setting to prevent accessibility services from accessing your browser

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1184485

Firefox uses too much memory

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#25 sbutk1

sbutk1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2018 - 07:15 PM

I'm not super knowledgeable with diagnosis, but I would say from what I've seen your HDD is ok.  The problem you are describing with FF is real and is mucking up other things like you've described.  There are others having the same issues on the net.  If folks cannot help you here you should go straight to the source and report this.  Here is a fix that worked for some and a link below it.  Maybe symptoms are different than yours?  I'll also leave a link to fixing memory usage diagnostics.  The fix directly below helped at least 22 people.

could you go to the firefox menu ≡ > help ? > troubleshooting information page and take a look in the Accessibility section if accessibility is set to "true" there.

if yes, can you please copy & paste this whole section into a reply in the forum and see if the following fixes the performance problem: go to the firefox menu ≡ > options > privacy & security panel and under permissions check the setting to prevent accessibility services from accessing your browser

For some reason I missed the email alert to your reply and caused myself an extra 3 days of agonizing over this.  For example, I'd forgotten to mention the infamous "Not responding" for 5 minutes each time I try a simple paste operation in MS Word.  So before this computer succeeds in driving me up a wall [much further], I will have a look at those links.  Thanks for sharing!

#26 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,855 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2018 - 07:18 PM

Yes, quite a few people were helped by that link, and probably many more that did not reply.  Try it out and get back with us.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#27 sbutk1

sbutk1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2018 - 09:24 PM

Yes, quite a few people were helped by that link, and probably many more that did not reply.  Try it out and get back with us.

Well, my symptoms don't match *exactly*: When I looked at my computer's Accessibility status, it's set to *False*.

However, I still tried the advice and re-set its Permission to "Prevent accessibility services from accessing your browser"

...which [conflictingly, IMHO?] had been previously *UNchecked*.

Time will tell whether this improves anything for me.  Either way, I'll do my best to report back.  Thanks again!

#28 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,855 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2018 - 10:55 PM

Got it, sorry I could not be of more help

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#29 sbutk1

sbutk1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2018 - 12:37 PM

Got it, sorry I could not be of more help

No seriously, thank you.  I haven't had to reset my browser once today (granted, I haven't done much of my cutting & pasting yet).

Ironically my Task Manager now shows multiple occurrences (6, at one point last night) of FF running.  And this was something that advice in another forum helped me "fix", right after Quantam came out (reason being, the browser didn't last more than a few minutes without a reset, proving virtually useless).

Surprised, personally, that the current remedy was to restore that "status quo".  ...But perhaps it's an indication of the Mozilla folks finally fixing things behind the scenes, slowly and painfully.  (I seem to recall when Quantam came out it was browser v. 57.0; I'm now running 58.0, as of yesterday.)  Keeping my fingers crossed...

#30 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,855 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2018 - 01:10 PM

Ironically my Task Manager now shows multiple occurrences (6, at one point last night) of FF running.

I think that is normal, especially if you have that many Tabs open, chrome does the same thing, and I'm sure that last time I looked at FF in Task Manager it was the same with the new FF.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users