Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recommend the right heatsink?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 wonderland78

wonderland78

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 24 November 2017 - 05:05 PM

So there I was, about to put in two more sticks of RAM, when I noticed this problem (see attached). I'm betting this is one of a kind.

Here's my spec:

Intel® Core™ i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz

mobo: MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate(MS-7850)

and is this something I could replace myself or can it be tricky? I'm ok with plugging stuff into my motherboard and that's where my expertise ends. I'm guessing it may involve the removal and re-application of thermal paste etc.?

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 24 November 2017 - 05:29 PM

Is that a Scythe Shuriken?  It looks a bit like one.  If so, you could probably rotate it so heatpipe end caps are facing in the opposite direction, away from the memory slots..

And yes, if you remove the heat sink it will need a cleanup and new application of paste.  If it is a Shuriken, they are a ***** to remove as the push pins are underneath the main part of the heat sink.  Some dexterity of fingers required...

Edited by jonuk76, 24 November 2017 - 05:32 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 TyronSmiteApril

TyronSmiteApril

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 24 November 2017 - 05:38 PM

If you replace your heatsink you will need to reapply the thermal paste. Its honestly not that difficult there are plenty of tutorials out there for it. I would provide a video link however I have restrictions at work as to what I can access so it would have to wait but I can provide a video/tutorial for you to watch.

#4 wonderland78

wonderland78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2017 - 06:54 PM

I'm not 100% sure what the brand is, but when I googled it, it seems like the Shuriken.

I can't rotate it, the end caps are even bigger on the other side. 

But any suggestions on what to replace it with?

#5 TyronSmiteApril

TyronSmiteApril

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 24 November 2017 - 07:08 PM

I'm not 100% sure what the brand is, but when I googled it, it seems like the Shuriken.

I can't rotate it, the end caps are even bigger on the other side. 

But any suggestions on what to replace it with?

You can go to pcpartpicker.com and view the cpu coolers available that are compatible. 

#6 wonderland78

wonderland78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2017 - 07:27 PM

Cool, that's a useful link. I guess what I'm also asking is - is that a particularly wide cooler and are there ones I should look out for which are better suited to that narrow space?

#7 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 November 2017 - 07:42 PM

If your in the U.S, the Egg has the Cooler Master Hyper 212 on sale for $15. sweet deal

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103218&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=IGNEFL112417&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL112417-_-EMC-112417-Index-_-CPUFansHeatsinks-_-35103218-S2A4A&ignorebbr=1

Edit: it's tall, you'll need more than 160mm wide case to fit

Edited by Joe C, 24 November 2017 - 08:01 PM.

#8 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2017 - 07:59 PM

You can rotate 90 degrees with Intel fitments (at least with the Scythe cooler)

It's unfortunately not uncommon for larger air coolers to have some overhang of the DIMM area.  It usually only affects memory with tall heatspreaders (like the Corsair Vengeance).  More thoughtfully designed ones may be offset to guarantee not to block memory slots.

Do you know what case you have (or at least what style is it? i.e. is it a compact mini tower, a mid sized tower, desktop).

Seeing as you appear to have a low profile style cooler at the moment, presumably you don't need or want anything too fancy?  This is a basic cooler which should not interfere with memory installation.  It's "good enough" as an alternative to a stock cooler and they claim it's quieter (should be) and it's affordable. 

Edited by jonuk76, 24 November 2017 - 08:15 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#9 wonderland78

wonderland78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 24 November 2017 - 08:18 PM

I just measured my tower width at 8" which is around 20cm. So the above linked cooler would be fine if I could determine it's width (not height).

And no I don't need anything fancy, just as long as it does its job as there are occasions when I'm rendering at max CPU load overnight. 

@jonuk76 - when you say "This is a basic cooler" it sounds like you're referring to something but you left out a link. Are you referring to the one linked above? (Hyper 212)

Just had another inspection. It's really tight in there between the CPU and the RAM slots. Just wish these all had width/height/depth listed. 

That said, rotating it 90 degrees seems like an option. If indeed it can be mounted that way.

#10 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2017 - 08:32 PM

Yeah I tried putting in a link and the forum appears to have deleted it.

The Hyper 212 is a good cooler, great value, but it's pretty large - massive compared to what you have now.  Things like the Cryorig H7 are known for good RAM clearance - if you have the vertical space in your case.

What I was trying to link to was either the Arctic Freezer 11 LP or Pro, both are fairly basic and inexpensive, but should be good enough for non-OC'd PC's.  RAM clearance should be OK on both.

7sbvuf-6.png

#11 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 November 2017 - 08:57 PM

Yup.. that fit can depend on the board too, I currently have that hyper 212 on an 1151 board with the DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX memory, it's close about 1/16" but the memory does not hit the heatsink. I have the fan blowing towards the rear of the case, so it is the fan that is next to the memory

Edited by Joe C, 24 November 2017 - 09:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users