Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics/Display Problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lage77

lage77

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 04 September 2017 - 12:51 PM

Mod Edit:  Split from https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/565770/intermittently-my-monitor-says-no-signal-detected/ - Hamluis.

It's been a few years and I haven't seen a solution provided to this issue on any posts.  I'm having the same issue.  I didn't move my PC or change hardware.  Below is a description of my problem, pretty much a mirror image of what's been posted.

PC specs:

OS: Windows 10 Home, 64bit; CPU: Intel Core i5 25003.30GHz; RAM: 32G; Monitors: - HP ProDisplay P221 LED Backlit Monitor, DVI-D connection - Dell U3415W, HDMI connection; Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970

Problem: Upgraded the existing Windows 7 to Windows 10. Both monitors worked fine for months. Over the last month, the Dell U3415W monitor goes into standby mode after my PC goes into sleep mode. The display setting no longer sees the Dell monitor. Doesn't matter if it's the primary or secondary monitor. When it first happened, I rolled back the driver for the graphics card. Did not resolve the issue. Did all of the usual other tasks that I would recommend initially.

Updated the most current NVIDIA driver, version 22.21.13.8541. Went to display settings to see if it would detect the second monitor as a routine check (didn't). Scanned for new hardware (still undetected). Looked in device manager to see if this might have reverted to an "unknown" device. None listed. Checked the physical connection to make sure it wasn't loose. It's not.

I can turn off the monitor and power it back on. There is a 50/50 chance the monitor will be detected. If not, I have to reboot. Or I can disable the graphics card and then re-enable it and will usual detect it.

When cycling the power on the monitor, the Dell monitor remains black. However, I know the PC recognizes the monitor is there as I am able to move my mouse cursor across to the Dell monitor. Some applications that are open move from the HP monitor to the Dell monitor. The Dell monitor remains black and I'm unable to see any of the apps. Monitor still shows in standby mode. I turn off the Dell monitor and all of my apps move back to my HP monitor as it becomes the only monitor.

I may go purchase another monitor and see if the problem occurs on the second monitor, regardless of the model.  Based on the comments from the original post, that may be pointless.  But...  it's been awhile since his post with new drivers, cards, Windows version/updates, etc. 

Was thinking this is an NVidia issue, but Donx is using a Radeon.  The only thing we have in common is generally a Windows OS and the issue.

PC specs:

OS: Windows 10 Home, 64bit; CPU: Intel Core i5 25003.30GHz; RAM: 32G; Monitors: - HP ProDisplay P221 LED Backlit Monitor, DVI-D connection - Dell U3415W, HDMI connection; Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970

Problem: Upgraded the existing Windows 7 to Windows 10. Both monitors worked fine for months. Over the last month, the Dell U3415W monitor goes into standby mode after my PC goes into sleep mode. The display setting no longer sees the Dell monitor. Doesn't matter if it's the primary or secondary monitor. When it first happened, I rolled back the driver for the graphics card. Did not resolve the issue. Did all of the usual other tasks that I would recommend initially.

Updated the most current NVIDIA driver, version 22.21.13.8541. Went to display settings to see if it would detect the second monitor as a routine check (didn't). Scanned for new hardware (still undetected). Looked in device manager to see if this might have reverted to an "unknown" device. None listed. Checked the physical connection to make sure it wasn't loose. It's not.

I can turn off the monitor and power it back on. There is a 50/50 chance the monitor will be detected. If not, I have to reboot. Or I can disable the graphics card and then re-enable it and will usual detect it.

When cycling the power on the monitor, the Dell monitor remains black. However, I know the PC recognizes the monitor is there as I am able to move my mouse cursor across to the Dell monitor. Some applications that are open move from the HP monitor to the Dell monitor. The Dell monitor remains black and I'm unable to see any of the apps. Monitor still shows in standby mode. I turn off the Dell monitor and all of my apps move back to my HP monitor as it becomes the only monitor.

Edited by hamluis, 24 November 2017 - 04:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artisticool1

Artisticool1

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 05 September 2017 - 06:17 AM

Hi lage77

Sorry to hear about your problem.

First off I think should introduce myself, although it now says 'Artisticool1' over my picture, I am in fact 'Graphicool1' or at least that was my alter ego. I lost my sign in details so I had to re-apply and change my name to protect the innocent!. Which being as we are one and the same persona it didn't really do much to protect me.

Still, moving on, I think you're not going to want to hear this, but, my similar PC problem to yours, was never really solved. However, I arrived at a sort of compromise solution. So, I don't know if you've tried the following, but when I...disconnected the NVIDIA card from my monitor and instead connected the onboard graphics card...everything runs fine, except not being able to play games. 

The only reason I needed the NVIDIA card was to play TERA an MMO (Massive Multi-player Online) game. However, I was only playing that while waiting for ESO (Elder Scrolls Online) to be launched on PS4 (bigger screen). I'd been lucky enough to have been asked to test drive this game on my PC. So I initially got the NVIDIA card to play the ESO Beta. But once I'd disconnected NVIDIA I could no longer play TERA. So instead, while waiting for ESO I was able to do all the jobs I'd kept putting off whilst playing TERA. I reasoned that once ESO came out I wouldn't be playing TERA anymore any way, so there was no real loss there.

However regarding the onboard graphics, the only real loss was 'shaders' that the games needed. When I'm not playing games, I'm a photographer and graphic artist and although the onboard graphics card is ok for this, it is a little slow and lagging at times. Which means every so often I have to stop what I'm doing, save and reboot. Sometimes though, when I'm in the zone, I forget to do this and everything slows to a standstill. Leaving me with only one option, no save and to switch off the PC at the mains.

So yeah, I too would also like to know the answer to my original question. So I can put NVIDIA back in the PC or whatever graphics card I need for the fix.

Edited by Artisticool1, 05 September 2017 - 06:48 AM.

#3 lage77

lage77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2017 - 07:41 PM

Appreciate your response, Graphicool1.  :)

The Dell monitor I'm using is a curved ultra-wide 34" monitor (near 4K) that is not supported with the onboard graphics card.  Stuck with the problem for now, if I want to use the monitor.  I'm still researching.  If I find answer, I'll post it here.

Thank you

#4 Artisticool1

Artisticool1

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 06 September 2017 - 05:16 AM

Just a thought, I've read all you have posted, however, you don't mention making changes in the NVIDIA Control Panel? There are many tweaks and changes to be made in there. I can't tell you any more than that because (as already mentioned) I no longer have NVIDIA installed.

I also tried adding a second monitor at one time. That didn't go too well for me either. I wanted to spread the desktop across both monitors. Which actually worked, up to a point. Because although I had a picture on both monitors and my cursor could go from monitor to monitor (which was cool). One monitor used the entire screen for it's half of the desktop, which is what I wanted. Whereas on the second or the other half, the picture was small and nothing I could do made any difference. So naturally enough I scrapped that idea.

Although on reflection the problem there might have been that the added monitor was an old TV that I had kicking around, after upgrading to a larger TV. Still, you have to try these things, don't you? You never know what you might discover if you just stick with the status quo.

If you have any thoughts on this or anything else, don't hold back, let me know. Good Luck and keep in touch.

Edited by Artisticool1, 06 September 2017 - 05:18 AM.

#5 sScootSs

sScootSs

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:44 AM

Hi Folks,

THought I'd just share my experience today

I have been having that [no signal] problem for quite a while now. While in the past it just blacks out for a while and upon moving the mouse/keying a bit on the keyboard, the screen comes back up, today it was happening too frequently and had several occasions where it just stays blacked out. I had to perform a hard reset several times and still could not stabalise the situation.

Which was what prompted this search and me getting to this board...

After going through the 2 pages, I decided to call the Acer helpdesk to ask as well, and was advised to uninstall the display driver. So what I did was

1. Unintall the display driver (it will automatically get reinstalled back when the PC boots up again. Note to NOT delete the driver files when executing the uninstall)

2. Unpluged and replugged in the monitor cables

Now everything's stable and good.... I am leaning towards the driver being corrupted and hope this is the end of my black-screen woes ... and hope this piece of sharing can be of use to any members of the community having similar/same problem. Cheers

Edited by sScootSs, 14 November 2017 - 06:45 AM.

#6 lage77

lage77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2017 - 02:54 PM

Sorry for taking so long to follow up.  Busy with work.

Seemed to narrow down the problem.  Did a process of elimination and found it was specific to the Dell Ultrawide monitor paired with NVidia graphics driver.  I did try making changes in the NVidia Control panel to fix it with no luck.  Moved the Dell to a different PC I built that has a Radeon graphics card with Win 10 OS and no issues.  Attached other monitors, including Acer and HP, to the PC with the NVidia driver and did not experience the issue I had with the Dell.  The only issue the stuck with the original system was, as mentioned above, I did have to tweak the graphics using the NVidia Control Panel.  The color on the Acer monitor was off (washed out).  I had to adjust it through the control panel.

This seems to be mostly NVidia related, but may also depend on the monitor. The higher end monitors seem to have issues with NVidia (i.e. widescreen, curved, high graphics quality, etc.).

Edited by lage77, 22 November 2017 - 02:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users