Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics issue please help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 withavision

withavision

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 24 November 2017 - 02:20 PM

Hello,

Yesterday I came home and the icons on my computer were huge and fuzzy.  I have two monitors which I extend the picture on to.  However, both monitors were showing the same thing (not extended like usual).  Before I left for the day, everything was as usual, smaller icons, crisp picture and icons, monitor 2 was showing extended picture etc.

No one was home, and no one was on the computer all day at all.

I built my computer about 10 years or more ago.  The fan on the graphics card is no constantly on, whereas before it was not always running.  I touched the graphics card and it is pretty hot to touch after a few seconds...

The picture almost looks like I am in safe mode, with the fuzzy, unclear looking icons.  When I go into display settings and click detect another monitor so I can change the setting to extend the desktop, it says it cannot detect another monitor.  Therefore I cannot change the setting to extend the desktop rather than mirror it.

I have reduced the resolution size and it makes the icons smaller, but they are still a little fuzzy looking.  Same with any writing, it looks a little off....

Any ideas what is going on here?  is my graphics card going bad?  By the way it is an ATI RADEON HD4800 card (i know, ancient haha).  I have tried updating the drivers through the device manager, but it says I have the latest driver.

please let me know what you think is going on here.

thanks a lot

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,674 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 24 November 2017 - 03:36 PM

Let's see exactly what temp your vid card is running at. Download & install CPUID. Run your computer for a few minutes and occasionally check your card temperatures. You might also check what your CPU and mainboard temps are also. If your card has a fan, check to make sure it is running. Some times the card is ok but the fan dies on it and you don't know. Also, did you check your card settings to make sure they are correct?

Do you have integrated graphics on the mainboard and does your CPU support it?

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 withavision

withavision
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2017 - 04:02 PM

attached is a pic of all the temps.

I have had the computer for 10+ years with the same exact setup with no issues, so I would assume the CPU supports the graphics card.  It is not an integrated graphics card.

I mentioned above that the graphics card fan will not stop...it is now constantly running, whereas before it did not constantly run.  Ever since I came home yesterday, the fan is constantly running and never turns off....I have the resolution set at the recommended size per windows and everything looks big...I got to webpages and they do not fit on the screen anymore, a scroll bar appears along the bottom so I can scroll over etc.

Attached Files

Edited by hamluis, 24 November 2017 - 05:45 PM.

#4 withavision

withavision
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2017 - 04:35 PM

I just noticed something weird.

I went into device manager and opened the graphics card.

On the general tab it says "No drivers are installed for this device" (see card1 picture).

However, when I click on the driver tab it shows info (see Card2 picture)

is this normal?

EDIT: i rolled back the driver and everything is fine and working properly. 

Attached Files

Edited by withavision, 24 November 2017 - 04:56 PM.

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,674 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 25 November 2017 - 08:06 AM

Well done!  Yes, I noticed that the video card was running way too hot, that is why the fan went to high RPMs. Glad you got it straightened out.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users