Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 10 Not Shutting Down or Restarting All the Way

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 shley

shley

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 24 November 2017 - 10:52 AM

Hello

Need help troubleshooting issue with Win 10 system.  It appears to not shut down / restart all the way because upon re-starting unit, when I get to sign-in screen, if I choose to re-start again, I get a little window stating that I'll loose some data from users if I continue.  This is not supposed to happen and there is no application even open (prior to shut down/restart).

I searched the Internet but only a few suggestions came from that.  First, I did check by troubleshooting the Power settings and re-set everything back to default, but that didn't help.  Second, a suggestion from MS forum to disable the Intel Management Engine in device manager might help, but it didn't work either (so it is set back to normal).

I am not sure what else to check.  I run A/V and my system updates are current.  Thinking this is an infection or corrupt system file somewhere.  It wasn't all that long ago HP reset this system back to factory settings.

Any help is appreciated.

THANK YOU!

shley

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,615 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 24 November 2017 - 11:08 AM

One thing to try. First disable Fast Startup. Windows 10 uses a hibernation file to allow faster startups but this can present problems if the hibernation file is corrupted.

Once disabled open a command prompt and type:

shutdown /s /f /t 0

Once completely shutdown reboot and see if the computer can shutdown and restart normally.

#3 shley

shley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2017 - 04:40 PM

I did what you suggested.  I disabled the fast start and ran the command in admin command prompt, but it is still doing the same thing.4

I recently installed Virtual Shield.  Would this have caused this problem?  I may have had the issue prior, though.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,615 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2017 - 05:14 PM

I am not familiar with Virtual Shield. It's possible. Have you tried uninstalling and see if the computer shuts down? Does the computer properly shutdown if you boot to Safe Mode?

Use method 2.

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/4-ways-boot-safe-mode-windows-10

#5 shley

shley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2017 - 06:24 PM

It doesn't do it while in Safe Mode.  

I haven't uninstalled the app, though.  I need more time for that.

If you think of anything else, please post and I'll try it before going through all the steps after uninstalling.  It takes some time to restart several times, etc.

Thank you!

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,615 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2017 - 07:03 PM

You can do a clean boot and then do a shutdown. If the computer shuts down normally it could be a service or startup item conflicting. You can enable a few startup and services at a time until you get the shutdown problem. This would narrow down the offending startup item or service. Make sure you only disable non-Microsoft services.

Doing a scan with HitmanPro should give you another confirmation on if you are clean. 

https://www.winhelp.us/clean-boot-windows.html

Edit: Does the computer shutdown in normal mode when you use the shutdown command I posted?

shutdown /s /f /t 0

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 November 2017 - 07:05 PM.

#7 shley

shley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2017 - 08:43 PM

Yes, it did shut down normally with the command prompt.

Here's another funny symptom.  I shut down Chrome and then restarted unit.  Waited to sign in.  When I signed in and opened Chrome up, it automatically opened up three tabs which were the last tabs I had opened before I closed Chrome!  Bizarre.

I regularly run Hitman Pro (it never finds anything).  I occasionally run CCleaner Pro for cleaning browsers and temp files, etc. 

I follow what you're saying about start up services.

I think I will uninstall this app first, then move on to start up services. 

I wish I could pull the battery out like the old days with a cold start.  Frustrating.  

EDIT:  I also noticed that Chrome was not shutting down all the way (evidenced by what CCleaner told me when I tried to analyse files scraps).

Edited by shley, 24 November 2017 - 08:45 PM.

#8 shley

shley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2017 - 08:55 PM

Going into Chrome settings to white list the website you provided, Chrome gave me a message, "Chrome detected that some of your settings were corrupted by another program and reset them to their original defaults."

This is the second time tonight it has given me this message.

Could this be a Chrome problem??

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,615 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2017 - 09:40 PM

That error usually indicates a PUP, potentially unwanted program, that attempts to change Chrome Settings. Hitman Pro should have detected any PUPs though.

You can run Adwcleaner. This will look for any PUPs. Be aware than sometimes Adwcleaner can cause you to lose internet.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

I wonder if Virtual Shield is doing something to Chrome's Settings. If you are using the Virtual Shield extension for Chrome then disable it in Chrome settings and see if you can shut down.

https://virtualshield.com/chrome/

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 November 2017 - 09:41 PM.

#10 shley

shley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2017 - 11:38 PM

You have some really good ideas.  But I have a question.  When I use Hitman Pro, it is set up by schedule to automatically scan (like once a day).  But when I select to open the app up directly, and then run it, it seems to do a more thorough job.  I've never figured that out.  In any case, I am running Hitman now, just to be sure everything is all right.  Then I will use the AdwCleaner (I've used that on this system before, fyi).  

Yes, I did have a Chrome extension - totally forgot that.  But what I've done is I've uninstalled Chrome for the moment - using Chrome Canary temporarily to see if that makes a difference.

I'll restart a few times after I do these things and report back.

Thank you!

#11 shley

shley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2017 - 12:48 AM

Reporting back:
I just completed a lot of work.

Ok, it's not the Virtual Shield (VS).  Still doing the same thing even after totally uninstalling. 

I checked the extension first.  I noticed that when the extension was enabled, and I go to close Chrome, in the Task Mgr, all the processes under the App [Chrome] go into the Background Processes.  This causes Chrome to not fully end.  Strange enough, if I go and open Chrome back up, those same background processes are then switched back up to the App listing under the program Chrome (in hierarchy).   This may be why when I shut down and then restart, and open Chrome, existing tabs opened back up.

When I uninstalled VS, it also gave me an error about not able to delete a registry key but I used Revo and it took care of those issues.  But trying it all over again without VS, I am still left with the same result:  it is not restarting properly and/or shutting down all the way.

I double checked the power settings, too.  I changed one setting to Shut Down when pressing the power button on AC instead of sleep.  It didn't make a difference either.

#12 shley

shley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2017 - 01:06 AM

Add another strange symptom:

Using Chrome on YouTube suddenly the sound is not playing but the video is.  Running the troubleshooter ends in limbo and doesn't fix it.   Have to restart the unit and then it works.

Is there a way to reload system files?  Not really familiar with Win 10 options.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,615 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2017 - 09:14 AM

At an elevated command prompt type

sfc /scannow

If you get errors then use the DISM command and repeat sfc /scannow

Windows 10 will let you do a reset with the option to keep personal files but you would need to reinstall your programs.

#14 shley

shley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2017 - 12:16 PM

All the scans look good - no problems.

I will need to wait before jumping into a reset until I finish a project.

I'll report back when that is.

Thank you!

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,615 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2017 - 12:45 PM

If this was an upgrade from a previous OS you may be better off backing up all your data and doing a clean install with the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users