Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Extremely slow laptop with randoms hangs

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Jis000

Jis000

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 24 November 2017 - 09:50 AM

Hi everybody,

In April this year, you guys provided me with excellent help, so now that I'm experiencing trouble on one of my systems again, I am happy to ask for help over here!

This time, my laptop is the issue. First of all, some background info and specs:

The laptop, a Dell Inspiron N5050, was bought in 2012 and has been upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 two years ago, shortly after its release.

Processor: Intel ® Celeron ® CPU B815 @ 1.60 GHz  1.60 GHz

RAM: 3,00 GB

Hard Drive (NTFS): 350 GB 

64-bit OS, x64-processor

My laptop has become almost impossible to work with. Everytime I startup the laptop, it's nerve wracking to wait and see how long it will take to load this time. It varies from 2 to 11 minutes to completely boot and logon. 

Simple actions like opening Explorer take over a minute. When I click the icon for Explorer, it can take my system over 1 1/2 minute before it opens a screen (which immediately shows 'not responding' on the top banner). Internet connection randomly drops, new webpages won't load and I get the notification: ERR_TIMED_OUT . When shutting down my wifi a couple of times, it usually works fine again.

So far I've tried to clean the laptop, deleting unnecessary files. In one article online I found that it's possible to change the number of processor cores. I've tried that, and for two days it helped. Now, the laptop is just as slow, or even slower. I think I have a lot of corrupted files on my laptop, because it has crashed on several occassions, when I was trying to uninstall programs or settings. Using a tool like CCleaner doesn't have enough effect. Malwarebytes and JRT couldn't find anything suspicious or disturbing.

On the Dell support site, there is a notification that states that my type of laptop hasn't been tested with Windows 10. Could this be the cause of all the trouble? There are no driver updates available for my system, so maybe that is part of the problem. 

I'm not sure what to do now, I hope that you can help!

Jis000

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 2,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 24 November 2017 - 10:55 AM

We need more information about your system than what you've provided. Hence, please follow these BSOD posting instructions and attach the requested files by replying to this topic. You may skip the part of step three where it instructs you to create a new topic, since you already have a topic here. There's no need to create another topic. :wink:

Thank you.

Regards,
bwv848

P.S. Even if your computer isn't blue screening, please still do the above.

If I do not reply in two days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 Jis000

Jis000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2017 - 01:25 PM

Thanks for your reply.

This is the web address from the Speccy File: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/LC8zUinR7NWNlmfs73Q3M8m 

I also attached the zip-file created with the Sysnative App.

I hope this clarifies more for you, so that you can help me!

Regards,

Jis000

Attached Files

#4 jimmie78

jimmie78

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 24 November 2017 - 02:51 PM

looking at the specs, i'm not surprised it's a little laggy. i think it's time to change. we will need a little more info though, like common apps you're using. have you seen how much memory your system in consuming in task manager?

#5 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,595 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2017 - 04:41 PM

Hi,

First you have two antiviruses installed: AVG and Avast. Please uninstall one of them, preferably AVG. Running two AVs simultaneously is a recipe for disaster.

You only have 3 GB of RAM installed, so it isn't surprising things are getting slow. In fact, when you ran the Sysnative File Collection App, you had less than 1 GB of free RAM. Not to mention, your CPU isn't the best in the world. So just to make it clear — there are some serious hardware limitations, and your laptop will never be that fast. On the other hand that doesn't mean it should be as slow as a slug.

On the Dell support site, there is a notification that states that my type of laptop hasn't been tested with Windows 10. Could this be the cause of all the trouble?

This could be a problem, but it's not entirely likely. Further, if the computer's been running for a few months fine, than I highly doubt that's the problem.

I'd like you to do the following, in addition to uninstalling AVG:

:step1: Check Disk

WARNING: It is recommended that you backup ALL your files. If CHKDSK finds and repairs a corrupted sector, you may lose your data.

• Click Start, enter cmd.exe in the Search box, right-click on cmd.exe, and then click Run as administrator.
  • Type the following command and hit ENTER:
chkdsk /R
  • You should see this message:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
process.  Would you like to schedule this volume to be
checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)
  • Type Y and hit Enter on your keyboard.
  • Restart your computer and CHKDSK will run.

Once CHKDSK is complete, we need the log:

• Click Start, enter powershell.exe in the Search box, right-click on powershell.exe, and then click Run as administrator.
  • Copy this command:
Get-WinEvent -FilterHashTable @{logname="Application"; id="1001"}| ?{$_.providername –match "wininit"} | fl timecreated, message | out-file $Env:UserProfile\Desktop\CHKDSKResults.txt
  • Right-click in Powershell to paste the command.
  • You will find CHKDSKResults.txt on your Desktop. Copy/paste that log in your next reply.

:step2: System File Checker

• Click Start, enter cmd.exe in the Search box, right-click on cmd.exe, and then click Run as administrator.
  • Type the following command and hit ENTER:
sfc /SCANNOW
  • After the scan is finished, you will see one of three things:
Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them. Details are included in the CBS.Log %WinDir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log.
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log %WinDir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log.
  • If you see either of the two latter messages, please immediately enter the following command:
findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"
  • Then, attach sfcdetails.txt, which is found on your Desktop, in your next reply.

:step3: Autoruns by Sysinternals

• Download and save Autoruns from here.
  • Navigate to the directory in which you saved the file.
  • Right-click on Autoruns.exe, select Run as administrator, and accept any User Account Control prompts.
  • Wait for a minute or so, then go to File, Save..., and save the file to your Desktop. Use the default name and ensure that the file extension while saving is .arn.
  • Zip and attach the .arn file in your next post.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#6 Jis000

Jis000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2017 - 02:55 PM

Hi bwv848,

Thanks for your reply! I am glad you want to help. I'm aware of the fact that the laptop isn't the most brilliant, high-speed system, it never has been, but like you said, it doesn't have to be THIS slow!

First you have two antiviruses installed: AVG and Avast.

That's strange; I uninstalled AVG with the AVG Uninstaller Tool BEFORE I installed Avast, a couple of weeks ago.. Maybe there are some traces left, though I couldn't find any. Anyway, I ran the Uninstaller Tool once more (though it said there were no active AVG products found on the system), just to make sure I did what I could.

I'm now starting to check disk. I'm sorry I didn't reply earlier, life's been busy. Anyway, I'm definitely following your advices and try to do it as soon as I can! I just want to let you know I haven't given up, I just don't have the possibility to try things daily.

As soon as I finished your steps, I'll post the results here!

Regards,

Jis000

#7 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,595 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2017 - 03:21 PM

Hi,

That's strange; I uninstalled AVG with the AVG Uninstaller Tool BEFORE I installed Avast, a couple of weeks ago.. Maybe there are some traces left, though I couldn't find any. Anyway, I ran the Uninstaller Tool once more (though it said there were no active AVG products found on the system), just to make sure I did what I could.

Quick question ... did you uninstall AVG from the Control Panel first? If you do a system-wide search on your OS driver, there should be NO traces of AVG whatsoever.

Let's keep in touch!

regards,

bwv848

#8 Jis000

Jis000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2017 - 12:12 PM

Hi, 

Quick question ... did you uninstall AVG from the Control Panel first? If you do a system-wide search on your OS driver, there should be NO traces of AVG whatsoever.

Hmm, could that be what went wrong...? I straight away got to the AVG Remover Tool, and skipped the uninstall option from the Control Panel. The Remover Tool uninstalled the program, and afterwards I manually deleted the folder that the tool left on my C:drive. Then your reply to my post came, in which you told me there are still traces of AVG left on the laptop, so I ran the Remover Tool again (it said there were no active AVG programs found, but I ran it anyway) and manually deleted the folder again afterwards.

During the Autoruns scan I already noticed that there are some startup tasks from AVG that are still there, though it also says the path cannot be found because the sourcefile has been deleted!

The second thing: I ran CHKDSK and wanted to copy/paste the contents of its results here. I opened the .txt file and saw NOTHING. The file is empty! Do you want me to run it again? 

Both the SFC details and the Autoruns-scan results are attached.

I hope this provides you with enough info to start digging for the cause(s) of my laptop's exteme slowness!

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Jis000

Attached Files

#9 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,595 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2017 - 12:38 PM

Hmm, could that be what went wrong...? I straight away got to the AVG Remover Tool, and skipped the uninstall option from the Control Panel. The Remover Tool uninstalled the program, and afterwards I manually deleted the folder that the tool left on my C:drive. Then your reply to my post came, in which you told me there are still traces of AVG left on the laptop, so I ran the Remover Tool again (it said there were no active AVG programs found, but I ran it anyway) and manually deleted the folder again afterwards.

During the Autoruns scan I already noticed that there are some startup tasks from AVG that are still there, though it also says the path cannot be found because the sourcefile has been deleted!

Perhaps. It's bad practice to force uninstall an antivirus without removing it first from the Control Panel. On the other hand, AVG remover should have completely removed AVG without leaving any traces in the first place. :)

The second thing: I ran CHKDSK and wanted to copy/paste the contents of its results here. I opened the .txt file and saw NOTHING. The file is empty! Do you want me to run it again?

Yes, please. Just perform the second portion of the instructions. That is, the part that described how to obtain the log. If the CHKDSKResults.txt file is empty again, try this alternate tool: https://www.sysnative.com/forums/windows-10-tutorials/11937-find-check-disk-chkdsk-results.html#anchor3 and post the results in your next reply.

Both the SFC details and the Autoruns-scan results are attached.

SFC log shows some corruption. I am no expert at reading CBS logs though. Can you run SFC one more time and post the log (after a reboot of the system)? Can you try attaching the Autoruns log again? Not seeing it anywhere.

Regards,

bwv848

#10 Jis000

Jis000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2017 - 09:43 AM

Hi,

It's bad practice to force uninstall an antivirus without removing it first from the Control Panel. On the other hand, AVG remover should have completely removed AVG without leaving any traces in the first place.

Is there anything that I could do to fix this? Or is the priority somewhere else, like finding what else is wrong (before starting to fix anything)?

I tried to save the CHKDSK results again, it came out blanco again. So I used the tool ListChkdskResult. It saved a log-file to my desktop, but when I opened it, I saw that this were the results from an earlier scan! I'll paste the results here, it's from September this year... Does that mean that Checking Disk hasn't been working at all and that there might be a corruption in there too?  :mellow:

ListChkdskResult by SleepyDude v0.1.7 Beta | 21-09-2013

------< Log generate on 3-12-2017 13:23:28 >------
Category: 0
Computer Name: Laptop-Jisca
Event Code: 26226
Record Number: 14018
Source Name: Chkdsk
Time Written: 09-24-2017 @ 11:13:15
Event Type: Informatie
User: 
Message: Chkdsk was executed in scan mode on a volume snapshot.  

Checking file system on C:
Volume label is OS.

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...

484096 file records processed.                                                        

File verification completed.

23344 large file records processed.                                   

0 bad file records processed.                                     

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...

584064 index entries processed.                                                       

Index verification completed.

0 unindexed files scanned.                                        

0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found.                    

Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...
Security descriptor verification completed.

49985 data files processed.                                           

CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...

41742264 USN bytes processed.                                                           

Usn Journal verification completed.

Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.
No further action is required.

291986775 KB total disk space.
 201152704 KB in 283941 files.
    217828 KB in 49986 indexes.
         0 KB in bad sectors.
    611635 KB in use by the system.
     65536 KB occupied by the log file.
  90004608 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
  72996693 total allocation units on disk.
  22501152 allocation units available on disk.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.
No further action is required.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Record Number: 13929
Time Written: 09-24-2017 @ 10:45:24
User: 

Deze service kan niet in veilige modus worden gestart.

A snapshot error occured while scanning this drive. Run an offline scan and fix.

Record Number: 13928
Time Written: 09-24-2017 @ 10:43:52
User: 

Deze service kan niet in veilige modus worden gestart.

A snapshot error occured while scanning this drive. Run an offline scan and fix.

Event Code: 26213
Record Number: 13927
Time Written: 09-24-2017 @ 10:43:00
User: 
Message: Chkdsk was executed in read-only mode.  A volume snapshot was not used. Extra errors and warnings may be reported as the volume may have changed during the chkdsk run.  

The volume is in use by another process. Chkdsk
might report errors when no corruption is present.
Volume label is OS.

WARNING!  /F parameter not specified.
Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

484096 file records processed.                                                        

File verification completed.

23344 large file records processed.                                   

0 bad file records processed.                                     

584062 index entries processed.                                                       

Index verification completed.

0 unindexed files scanned.                                        

0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found.                    

Security descriptor verification completed.

49984 data files processed.                                           

CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...

40814576 USN bytes processed.                                                           

Usn Journal verification completed.
The master file table's (MFT) BITMAP attribute is incorrect.
The Volume Bitmap is incorrect.
Windows has checked the file system and found problems.
Please run chkdsk /scan to find the problems and queue them for repair.

291986775 KB total disk space.
 199942948 KB in 284036 files.
    217844 KB in 49985 indexes.
         0 KB in bad sectors.
    610611 KB in use by the system.
     65536 KB occupied by the log file.
  91215372 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
  72996693 total allocation units on disk.
  22803843 allocation units available on disk.

I'll attach BOTH scanresults to this post. When you said that you couldn't find the Autoruns results, I facepalmed... I forgot to click 'attach this file' after choosing the file! Won't happen again, haha.

Regards,
Jis000

Attached Files

#11 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,595 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2017 - 10:23 AM

Hmm... I wonder why CHKDSK isn't generating a log... strange indeed. You have some corrupted system files that can't be fixed with SFC. With both of these unusual occurrences, I am just wondering whether if your hard disk is fine; hence, please run SeaTools for Windows (LONG GENERIC test): www.carrona.org/hddiag.html

Edited by bwv848, 04 December 2017 - 10:23 AM.

#12 Jis000

Jis000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:51 AM

Hi,

I ran the Long Generic Test with SeaTools. My drive passed the test without any errors. Do you want me to post a logfile or something?

It's frustating to acknowledge that even experts like you can't seem to put the finger on the problem! 

I hope you haven't given up yet, and still want to figure it out!

Regards,

Jis000

#13 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,595 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2017 - 10:22 PM

Hi,

Glad to hear that. The next thing I would like you try is a clean boot: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows and see if the issues persist. BTW, are we talking hard hangs or just general unresponsiveness?

FYI, we definitely need to fix the corrupted file problems, so I may be sending you off to another forum after this. :wink:

#14 Jis000

Jis000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted Yesterday, 09:50 AM

Hi,

I did a clean boot and it did have some effect. The laptop didn't take 7 minutes to load after login, but about 4-5... 

It is not like my laptop isn't doing ANYTHING, but the time it takes to perform the actions I want it to perform, is extremely long. When trying to open the Start Menu, I wait almost 1 minute before it pops up, and then trying to find the right program by scrolling isn't even working. 

The funny thing is: this is not a constant problem. It happens when I have my internetbrowser open, or when I'm running one single program. And of course, during startup and login...

I hope you know the right forum for the corrupted file-issue, I wasn't even sure if I could post my problems here in the first place, haha!

Thanks for all your efforts!  :bowdown:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users