Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What coolers can I use on Ryzen 1700X?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 24 November 2017 - 08:13 AM

I recently got a good deal on a Ryzen 7 1700X together with an MSI X370 motherboard. It was cheaper than I could find a 1700 for, so I pulled the trigger.  As you may know, these don't come with a cooler.  Now, the cooler I want to use long term on it, a Thermalright Macho, needs an AM4 mounting kit which I will be ordering from Thermalright's European distributor in Germany.

In the meantime, I was wondering if any coolers I own which used the AM2/3/FM2 standard "clip" mounting will work on it.  I have, off the top of my head, a Coolermaster TX2 (may be missing some parts on this one though), an Arctic Freezer 7 Pro V2, an Arctic Alpine 64 and a Scythe Shuriken which I think all used the clip mechanism on AMD sockets.

The motherboard is fitted with two fibreglass bars running down the side of the CPU socket with notches for a cooler to clip on to, with instructions to remove these two pieces if you want to fit a screw on cooler - like the Wraith Spire or Stealth. Probably the same on all AM4 motherboards?  I don't know.  Anyway they look at first glance exactly the same as the retention system I remember on older AMD sockets.

Any thoughts on what will work?

Thanks

7sbvuf-6.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,003 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 24 November 2017 - 08:55 AM

HIH

#3 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 24 November 2017 - 10:28 AM

AM4 socket is physically (from cooler's point of view) same as AM3 so all AM3 coolers that do NOT require mounting plate will work. Retention system for coolers is same as on AM3. What is changed is placement of mounting holes.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 24 November 2017 - 10:29 AM.

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,071 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2017 - 10:39 AM

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Noctua-NH-U12S-SE-AM4-premium-grade-cooler/dp/B01N9X2YYN/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1511537594&sr=8-1&keywords=am4+cpu+coolers

The best non stock air cooler for AM4 without needing to order extra parts

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Noctua-am4-CPU-refoidisseurs-radiators-600-RPM/dp/B075SG1T3X/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1511537706&sr=8-19&keywords=am4+cpu+coolers

Here is the slim version, cheaper and will do the same job.

Most of the other coolers will need you to order the bracket and considering you live in the UK it may be cheaper to pay the £54.95

Most cooler makers do offer the AM4 bracket for free but shipping costs may come into play even if its just a bracket.

I know how it is in the UK with all those importation taxes and whatnot.

Luckily the Ryzen line really doesn't need liquid cooling unless you are doing some serious overclocking.

But even the wraith stock coolers work very well on them thats why i never got anything for my ryzen 7 1700 as long as i dont try to overclock to 4.0 GHz it runs nice.

Edited by MadmanRB, 24 November 2017 - 10:42 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2017 - 12:23 PM

Thank you, yes that's confirmed my thoughts.  Ones that use the standard retention mechanism will be fine. I think the Freezer 7 Pro or the Scythe will be the best bet to get me up and running, and I know I've got all the parts for them in the parts box.

I've ordered the modified backplate I need for the Thermalright cooler from Germany. 5 Euro's + no further tax currently on anything from the EU.  It'll just take some time to get here and I'm wanting to try this over the next few days  :thumbup2:

Edited by jonuk76, 24 November 2017 - 12:26 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,071 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2017 - 12:31 PM

I would get the frezzer pro 

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#7 jonuk76

jonuk76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2017 - 01:02 PM

Yep it's probably the best of them and I already have it :)  I was last using it on an overclocked i5-750 at which it handled quite easily.  The only slightly weird thing about it is on an AMD mount, you have to have the fan blowing upwards or downwards, rather than towards the more usual rear of the case.

7sbvuf-6.png

#8 jonuk76

jonuk76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2017 - 06:31 AM

OK, so I got it up and running a couple of days ago. I went with the CoolerMaster Hyper TX2 (with an Arctic 92mm PWM fan) because I managed to find the right mounting parts in my spares box. I figured it should do a better job on a 95w CPU than the Scythe, and it didn't entail mounting it in a "wrong" orientation like the Arctic FP7.

Anyway, I'm getting temps in the low 70's degrees c reported on the CPU temperature sensor under 100% load, with low load/idle typically showing high 20's-mid 30's. I think this is OK?  I'm a bit surprised the monitoring software is reporting Vcore of up to 1.55v under high loads - that just seems crazily high for a 14nm chip, at least compared to Intel's which I've been using almost entirely for the past few years.  Possible bug with monitoring or is it really likely to be that high?  I haven't overclocked the CPU or messed with the voltage, but did bump up the DRAM speed a bit.  But overall impressed with the performance.  Tested a couple of video encodes for example and getting at very least 100% speed improvements on my old i5 :)

7sbvuf-6.png

#9 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,400 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2017 - 07:53 AM

Temps sound quite OK. Remember that's 8 core CPU. 1.55V sounds like killer voltage for that CPU. Probably just buggy software, try with something else.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 28 November 2017 - 07:53 AM.

#10 jonuk76

jonuk76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2017 - 09:51 AM

Thanks DM.  Looking at it again, I think it's me that's wrong and not the software.  I must have been looking at either "CPU VDD (Node 1)" or "VID" rather than the reported vCore.  The former go over 1.5v at times.  The vCore itself does not go that high (1.32v reported at 100% stress).  I think it isn't going to fry anyway, which is the main thing :)

NukvibV.jpg

7sbvuf-6.png

#11 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,071 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2017 - 09:53 AM

Yeah those temps seem normal to me, my max temp with my 1700 is about the same when i fire up a game.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#12 jonuk76

jonuk76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2017 - 10:23 AM

Good to know :)

7sbvuf-6.png

#13 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,400 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2017 - 01:13 PM

Those values look like OK. 70 degrees with low end air cooler on full load is not bad. With same CPU model, I have "difficulties" reaching 60 degrees under load but as I have much better (and heavier) cooler, that's not real surprise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users