Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 suddenly taking a very long time to load

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Insp. Bumstead

Insp. Bumstead

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 24 November 2017 - 04:42 AM

Everything was okay last night when I logged off, but today when I booted up my laptop, windows took well over an hour to load.  Even after loading, my computer is for the large part slow and unresponsive.

I am sure I'm infected, but Avast and Malwarebytes aren't picking anything up.

I could really use some help here.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 24 November 2017 - 10:08 AM

What version of Windows 10 are you running?

Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png and the R key at the same time to open the Run box. Copy and paste or type in winver, then click/tap on OK.  This will show the version of Windows 10 you have running.

Have you tried restarting a couple of times?  If you have just had the Authors fall update (1709) installed it may take a couple of days for the update to work through its paces.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 dhagerjohns

dhagerjohns

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2017 - 12:06 PM

If you have just had the Authors fall update (1709) installed it may take a couple of days for the update to work through its paces.

No, there is definitely something wrong.  Try booting into safe mode and see what is in startup.  Disable everything.  1709 doesn't need a few days or any time at all to run through so called "paces."

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2017 - 12:14 PM

If you have just had the Authors fall update (1709) installed it may take a couple of days for the update to work through its paces.

No, there is definitely something wrong.  Try booting into safe mode and see what is in startup.  Disable everything.  1709 doesn't need a few days or any time at all to run through so called "paces."

Obviously there is something wrong or the OP would not have posted this topic.  You do your search for information and I'll do my own.  What works for me may be beyond any search concepts you have. :thumbup2:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 dhagerjohns

dhagerjohns

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2017 - 01:40 PM

Obviously there is something wrong or the OP would not have posted this topic.  You do your search for information and I'll do my own.  What works for me may be beyond any search concepts you have. :thumbup2:

You really have no clue do you?  At least I gave him some advice.  He needs to check out any software issues he may have.

Edited by dhagerjohns, 24 November 2017 - 01:41 PM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2017 - 03:01 PM

Obviously you don't keep up with what updates are causing problems.  If the OP hasn't installed the Authors fall update (1709) there are problems from previous updates which are being corrected with this last update.  If you don't ask the OP what version they are running you are clueless as to some potential problems that may exist.  What the OP posted could very possibly be related to some of the older updates.  That is why I asked the questions that I did.  Because these updates are specific to Windows 10 it's a good idea to ascertain the facts and then move on if this is the latest update.

This is the longest I've explanation I've provided in a very long time.  Obviously you weren't aware of these possibilities, otherwise you would have understood the question.

You have taken this off topic.  I would suggest dropping this.

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,537 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2017 - 03:46 PM

Yes,,, Let's keep the OP first. WE need all info requested.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 889 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 24 November 2017 - 11:14 PM

Hi, I agree we do need more information, could you go to search and type:- command prompt, right click on the returned command prompt and select "run as administrator" an elevated cmd prompt will open. Please copy  ALL the cmd below (highlighted in red for you). Right click anywhere in the command prompt window and select paste, the cmd will append to the prompt, Press enter:-

echo > 0 & systeminfo | find /V /I "hotfix" | find /V "KB" >> 0 & WMIC /Node:localhost /Namespace:\\root\SecurityCenter2 Path AntiVirusProduct Get displayName /format:list >> 0 & wmic PATH Win32_VideoController GET Description,PNPDeviceID /format:list >> 0 & tasklist /v >> 0 & net start >> 0 & echo >> 0 & notepad 0

Please save the notepad output to your desktop then use the "more reply options" (bottom right) to upload the file to here. It makes it much easier for us to read.

#9 dhagerjohns

dhagerjohns

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2017 - 12:20 AM

Everything was okay last night when I logged off

This is the most important part of his statement, which leads me to suspect that something changed when he was on the computer previous to logoff/shutdown.  I seriously doubt that Windows Updates would cause the problem he has which is why I wanted to know what was loading.  Perhaps some unsuspecting program is causing the issue, or a hardware problem (which is probably the case.)  But, there are plenty who have upgraded without clean installing for many, many builds with no issues.  Anyway that command above is very nice, and here is what it shows for me.

Spoiler

#10 dhagerjohns

dhagerjohns

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2017 - 12:27 AM

Hi, I agree we do need more information, could you go to search and type:- command prompt, right click on the returned command prompt and select "run as administrator" an elevated cmd prompt will open. Please copy  ALL the cmd below (highlighted in red for you). Right click anywhere in the command prompt window and select paste, the cmd will append to the prompt, Press enter:-

echo > 0 & systeminfo | find /V /I "hotfix" | find /V "KB" >> 0 & WMIC /Node:localhost /Namespace:\\root\SecurityCenter2 Path AntiVirusProduct Get displayName /format:list >> 0 & wmic PATH Win32_VideoController GET Description,PNPDeviceID /format:list >> 0 & tasklist /v >> 0 & net start >> 0 & echo >> 0 & notepad 0

Please save the notepad output to your desktop then use the "more reply options" (bottom right) to upload the file to here. It makes it much easier for us to read.

If you put these lines

@Echo off
(cd /d "%~dp0")&&(NET FILE||(powershell start-process -FilePath '%0' -verb runas)&&(exit /B)) >NUL 2>&1
first, it will automatically elevate so the right click run as administrator is not needed.  :guitar:

Edited by dhagerjohns, 25 November 2017 - 12:28 AM.

#11 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 889 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 25 November 2017 - 02:32 AM

Hi, before you can run the cmd you have to open either powershell (which we are not doing) we are opening command prompt, by this time opening as admin is just as easy.

If you use the win +x power menu you get the option to run powershell (admin) or you can modify this to have command prompt (admin) in the menu. If you open an admin powershell prompt, to get to a dos command prompt all you have to do is add cmd (press enter) and an elevated cmd prompt opens within powershell.

I like people who try to improve techniques, I just don't see this being of much use.

#12 Insp. Bumstead

Insp. Bumstead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2017 - 06:35 AM

Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png and the R key at the same time to open the Run box. Copy and paste or type in winver, then click/tap on OK.  This will show the version of Windows 10 you have running.

Have you tried restarting a couple of times?  If you have just had the Authors fall update (1709) installed it may take a couple of days for the update to work through its paces.

I am using Windows 10, Version 1709 (OS Build 16299.64).

I've attached the file below

I should also add that when I start my computer now I get an error that says "S.M.A.R.T. status bad", which hints at a hardware failure.  However, this is a relatively now computer (1 year old).

Attached Files

• Attached File  0.txt   44.22KB   2 downloads

Edited by Insp. Bumstead, 25 November 2017 - 06:47 AM.

#13 dhagerjohns

dhagerjohns

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2017 - 10:02 AM

I am using Windows 10, Version 1709 (OS Build 16299.64).

I've attached the file below

I should also add that when I start my computer now I get an error that says "S.M.A.R.T. status bad", which hints at a hardware failure.  However, this is a relatively now computer (1 year old).

It sounds like your hard drive is going bad.  Unfortunately hard drive failure can occur at any time.  I have known of hard drives which were bad from the get-go.  It is unfortunate, but it does happen.  When you buy a new hard drive I highly recommend purchasing an SSD (solid state drive.)

Edited by dhagerjohns, 25 November 2017 - 10:03 AM.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2017 - 12:05 PM

Please download and run SeaTools for Windows

Before the installation begins you will be prompted to either Decline or Accept the terms of the installation, click on I Accept.

Once the installation of SeatTools for Windows begins you will see an image similar to the one below.

Cn0u1vP.png

1.  SeaTools for Windows will search for HDDs and SSDs on your computer.  Please remove any external storage devices connected via USB ports.

2.  Detected Drives will list the HDDs and SSDs found.  Place a check mark in the drive box you want to run the scan on.  This should be the drive that has the operating system installed on it, this is usually C: drive.

3.  You will see Basic Tests toolbar above Detected Drives, move the mouse pointer over this to open the test options.  Please click on Long Generic Test

4.  This will start the scan.  When the scan is complete you will see the result under Test Status , please post the results in your topic.

5.  The test will indicate either Pass or Fail.  Post the results of the scan in your topic.

irtNzsc.png

6.  Click on Help, then click on View Log File.  If the scan failed take a screen shot of the Log File and post it in your topic.

#15 dhagerjohns

dhagerjohns

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2017 - 12:55 PM

@dc3 -- you have one too many forward slashes in  your link.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users