Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Suspected Infection - Cannot Access Win 10 Start Button

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 23 November 2017 - 11:26 PM

Need Help,

Recently updated my Windows 10 to version 1709, so initially thought the strange problems were due to that.  However, after running sfc /scannow and DISM /Restorehealth commands, it appears my computer may be infected.

Here's what happened after upgrading to Windows 10 version 1709:  I am home sick with the flu and not up up to doing much, so have limited myself to re-visiting some old computer game related websites.  However, some of the websites were not active any more, and a couple websites gave me warnings my computer was infected and to download some software.  I exed out of those websites rather than downloading anything, and thought I was safe.

However, my computer has gradually been acting up ever since.  The first thing I noticed was that I could no longer right-click on icons in the taskbar to open a second copy of a program, such as windows explorer.  Then I noticed the Windows Start button would no longer open, so I could not access Windows Defender to run it.  Finally, i noticed some strange, new folders were appearing on my C: drive, containing a mixture of strangely named files in multiple formats (txt, jpg, pem, mdb, sql, doc, rtf, docx, xls and xlsx).

I ran the following manual scanners today, but they did not find anything:  Emisoft antimalware, Superantispyware, Malwarebytes Antirootkit, Zemana Antimalware and Malwarebytes Antimalware.  (Was not able to access Windows Defender, so could not run that one.)

I also tried running the ESET online virus scanner, but after waiting 3 hours it was still running (and had found no viruses) so I quit it.

Please help.  I am still sick with the flu, and now apparently have a sick computer.

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Torvald

Torvald
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 24 November 2017 - 08:29 AM

Morning update.

I turned my computer completely off overnight and then started it up this morning.  Immediately clicked on the Windows 10 start button, and it now worked, so went to Windows Defender Security Center and started a full scan.  Then noticed a new feature in the Security Center, and turned on Controlled Folder Access.  Doing so stopped my full scan, though.

Next ran a Windows Defender Quick Scan - No threats were found.

Scanned the suspicious new folders on my C: drive - No threats were found.

Ran a Windows Defender Offline Scan - No threats were found, and at the end my computer restarted itself.

However, once my computer finished restarting, i was once again no longer able to access the Windows 10 start button and right-clocking on icons in the taskbar would not work any more.  I also noticed that one of the suspicious folders on my C: drive had changed its name, filled itself up with newly renamed suspicious files, and the date and time folder and files were updated to when my computer had just restarted itself.

Therefore, it appears something is still wrong with my computer that normal scans do not seem to be able to detect and clean.

Am feeling a little better today myself (I've been sick with the flu for past 7 days), so now just need to get my computer working better.

I may try simply deleting the strange new folders & files today to see what if that helps, but would prefer getting some advice from this forum first.  (The strangely named folders on my c: drive keep changing name each time I restart my computer, but they do always start with "948" if that info is helpful for diagnosis.)

Best wishes.

Edited by Torvald, 25 November 2017 - 02:43 AM.

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 25 November 2017 - 11:00 AM

Hi, lets get a deeper look.
Please follow this Preparation Guide and post in a new topic.
Let me know if all went well..
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users