Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VPN messes up my ISP mail server login, and gets me locked out of Outlook.

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Leechy McLeech

Leechy McLeech

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 23 November 2017 - 10:02 PM

Hello

As my first foray into VPN's the other day, I tried out "Shellfire" (free). 

I have a PC with Windows 10 and an MS login.

Soon after the VPN connected, the password prompt started appearing for my connection from Outlook 2007 to my ISP's mail server. The prompt kept coming up even after I entered the correct password.

Shortly after that started, I got an email from MS saying there was a suspicious login attempt from a foreign I.P. address. 

I disconnected the VPN, and my Outlook 2007 stopped prompting for my password. However, the MS login was a bigger hassle, because I had to go through a verification rigmarole to get back in.

Altogether, that seems like way too much trouble. What makes it all the more worrying is that I've had bigger problems in the past when it comes to MS lockouts. (i.e. it's taken multiple attempts to get verification codes sent etc.)

Am I doing something wrong, or is this par for the course with VPN's?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users