Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems With Screen Stretching in Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Sunsilver

Sunsilver

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 23 November 2017 - 09:36 PM

This evening, I came home to find my computer screen was stretched horizontally in both the desktop and when browsing. I also had a popup saying there was a problem with an ATI file, and if I pressed 'reset' I might be able to fix it.

Well, the fix didn't happen when I selected that option, so i decided to go for unistall/reinstall. However, the program only let me delete the operating files, and not ATIsetup.exe. It hung up on the deletion, and I had to use Task Manager to stop it.

Sooo, next I tried sys.restore! OHHH< how I LOVE sys.restore! Monitor back to NORMAL! Hurray! Only one small problem - my antivirus and firewall are shut down. So, I rebooted the computer.

Guess what? Because I  hadn't been able to delete ATIstetup.exe, it REINSTALLED itself, and my monitor problem was baaaack, along with the popup about the problem. If I'd had any doubts about what was causing the problem, that definitely laid them to rest.

I went into 'hunt and destroy' mode. I searched down the ATI files by name and sent them to the trash can. I then went hunting online to reinstall them, but was unable to determine the correct files to download. The AMD website was worse than useless.

I was able to identify my graphics card, though, (WITHOUT help from AMD!) and it is an ATI Raedon HD 4300-4500 series.

I've reached the limit of my expertise and patience, and have started swearing at my screen, and anything else within earshot. The cat and my dogs have gone into hiding.

Help, please? I'm not a computer whiz, just your everyday user who's learned a few tricks over the years, so KISS.

Edit: since posting this, I realized there was a power failure this afternoon, which is probably what triggered the problem.

Edited by Sunsilver, 23 November 2017 - 10:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,664 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2017 - 11:23 PM

Yes, the dreaded Power Failures can cause many issues, this is why one needs a UPS Uninterrupted Power Supply.  HERE are some directions on how to do a Repair Install.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#3 Sunsilver

Sunsilver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2017 - 11:55 PM

Um, so replacing the corrupted ATI files isn't going to fix this?  :(

I find the idea of reinstalling Windows 10 quite scary!  :halloween:

Edited by Sunsilver, 24 November 2017 - 12:15 AM.

#4 Sunsilver

Sunsilver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2017 - 01:51 PM

Okay, since Sys.restore fixed the problem before, now that I've gotten rid of the faulty ATI files, and prevented them from being reinstalled again, I decided to give it another go. Worked like a charm! Everything is back to normal!  :bananas:   This time when I did the reboot to launch my anti-virus software, everything remained the same, proving once again that ATI WAS the culprit.

Now, do I REALLY need to bother re-installing ATI? And how would I find the correct version? (See info on graphics card in my first post.)

EDIT:: Okay, I could just cry/spit nails!! As I was browsing, I got a popup from Windows installer saying it needed to install software, but needed permission to do so. I wanted more info on what this install was about, so I clicked on the install app to find out. It was from Advanced Micro Devices. Realizing this translated as AMD, the maker of the files I've been having trouble with, I didn't give Windows permission to install.

It did it ANYWAY!!  And my screen is back to being stretched again!! 

WHAT DO I DO??  (Other than send AMD hate mail?)

Edited by Sunsilver, 24 November 2017 - 02:26 PM.

#5 Sunsilver

Sunsilver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2017 - 02:52 PM

I joined the AMD forums, and yes, it is an issue with AMD drivers. The newer drivers are the problem - one member was able to solve the problem by rolling back to his old drivers, but OF COURSE Windows keeps wanting to update the drivers, as happened with my  computer!

Still uncertain as to how to fix it, unless AMD comes up with a fix.

Here's a link to the relevant thread: https://community.amd.com/message/2673104

You'll note that one user rolled his computer back to Windows 7, and STILL had the problem, so I doubt doing a repair on Windows 10 is going to help me much.  :(

Edited by Sunsilver, 24 November 2017 - 07:23 PM.

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,664 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2017 - 08:30 PM

It did it ANYWAY!!  And my screen is back to being stretched again!! 

WHAT DO I DO??  (Other than send AMD hate mail?)

You did it again!  I would not have done that, but understand you are trying to find out exactly what will work and what won't.

I forget the terminology in Windows 10, but can't you Go Back Again, then Uncheck Recommended Updates in Updates Settings?  I will look when I get a chance but am sure someone will come along and help.

You'll note that one user rolled his computer back to Windows 7, and STILL had the problem, so I doubt doing a repair on Windows 10 is going to help me much.  :(

Agreed!  But with Windows 7 we have more control over Updates, and can easily hide that Update to prevent it from breaking things again.  There should be no problems with W7.

It appears that there is no support for that Graphics Card for Windows 10 as shown on the AMD Site.  Did you look at AMD for the driver, it says W7-W8 32 and 64bit, but no Windows 10.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

Here is a fix, but I have not tried it, and is a workaround that one would use if were desperate in my opinion.  The first link there are the Directions, and the second link is where to get the Legacy Driver.  I would go back to Windows 7 or 8 if it were me, as you may continue to have issues during the next Upgrade of Windows 10:

Force Legacy Driver

Edited by pcpunk, 24 November 2017 - 08:31 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#7 martma29leea

martma29leea

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 26 November 2017 - 05:08 PM

I've had the same issues for the past few days. I found this post a few days ago. I came back to let you know I figured it out. Check this link (the commentary at the very bottom of replies to the topic)... https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/solved-stretched-screen-issues-for-windows-10

It just worked for me. And it's fixed after 3 days of messing with it.

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,664 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2017 - 06:09 PM

I've had the same issues for the past few days. I found this post a few days ago. I came back to let you know I figured it out. Check this link (the commentary at the very bottom of replies to the topic)... https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/solved-stretched-screen-issues-for-windows-10

It just worked for me. And it's fixed after 3 days of messing with it.

What exactly at that site did you follow?

And to both of you, what Version of Windows 10 are you at now?

Open a Command Prompt and type the command below and hit enter.  To Copy Paste, Right-click the title bar of the command prompt window, point to Edit, and then click Mark.  Now Highlight what you want to post, or just "Select All" and Hit Enter.  Now you can Paste it into your Post with Ctrl+v

winver

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#9 martma29leea

martma29leea

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2017 - 06:15 PM

I followed this version (in the commentary at the bottom):

I had the same issue with the ATI Radeon HD4200 display driver. The button to Rollback my driver was grayed out but the following worked for me:
1. In Device Manager, right click on the Display Adapter Driver and choose Update Driver
2. Choose 'Browse my computer'
3. Choose 'Let me pick from a list...'
4. Choose an older driver (in my case it was ATI Radeon HD 4200 Version: 8.970.100.9001 [01/13/2015]) and click Next

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,664 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2017 - 06:30 PM

@martma29leea, Thanks for that follow up.  I'm interested in what Version of Window 10 you are running, this would be a key piece of information, possibly very relevant to the issue.

Thanks, pcpunk

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#11 martma29leea

martma29leea

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2017 - 07:05 PM

@martma29leea, Thanks for that follow up.  I'm interested in what Version of Window 10 you are running, this would be a key piece of information, possibly very relevant to the issue.

Thanks, pcpunk

Sorry, I am new to this site. Just joined to let everyone know that I found a "fix" for it....because I know it was driving everyone crazy, including myself, lol. I have the latest version of Windows 10 Home. I made sure all updates were current before I messed with the ATI Driver. Windows just did a major update on the 21st. This happened to me right after. Going back to the older driver version worked for me (and everyone else, it seems).

#12 Sunsilver

Sunsilver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2017 - 07:26 PM

I have Windows 10 Home, version 1703.

Trying to do ANYTHING technical with it is a terrible PITA! I couldn't even find the control panel until I asked Cortana how to find it, and the Start menu is totally useless, too! Grrr! NO, thankyouverymuch, I DON'T need to find Amazon or Lightscribe or Cortana, or the calculator, or any of the other useless things you're showing me, I need to know how to disable that stupid update which caused this in the first place!

:smash:

Don't have time to muck with it right now - Grey Cup is on TSN!  (Yes, I'm Canadian, and the home team (Argos) is playing...)

Will come back later and try your suggestions.

Edited by Sunsilver, 26 November 2017 - 07:28 PM.

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,664 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2017 - 07:38 PM

For Control Panel in 1703, Click on Menu and type Control Panel, right click it and Pin it to the Start Menu, or to the Taskbar.  Make life a little easier.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#14 Sunsilver

Sunsilver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2017 - 07:38 PM

Sorry, duplicate post.

Edited by Sunsilver, 26 November 2017 - 07:42 PM.

#15 Sunsilver

Sunsilver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2017 - 07:41 PM

You did it again!  I would not have done that, but understand you are trying to find out exactly what will work and what won't.

PC punk, I did NOT give the update permission to install. All I did was click on it to see what it was! Normally, when you do that, you get a list of updates along with a check box you can check or uncheck. It installed itself, totally without any input from me. That's what made me so bleepin' MAD!!   :flamethrower: 

I thought I'd solved the problem of it auto-installing when I deleted the ATI setup.exe file. Nope, Windows found a way to screw me up again!   :( 

Edited by Sunsilver, 26 November 2017 - 07:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users