Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor/Video Card Problem?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 AonDuine

AonDuine

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 23 November 2017 - 06:28 PM

As a summary I was using my computer with two monitors for a long time, 5+ years. Two days ago I turned on my computer and both monitors began displaying the same thing, not as 1 split desktop as they had been, and the resolution was down to 1024 x 768. I can increase the resolution to 1080x1024, but not any higher and both monitors will only mirror one another. I check dxdiag and it says that my graphics device is "Microsoft Basic Display Driver." I went to check the device manager to try messing with the drivers. Here it lists the display adapter as my ATI Radeon HD 4800 (old I know). Since then I have tried everything I could think of to try to fix it and to no avail. I figure a new graphics card would probably fix the problem, but I'd rather not have to spend the money. Any advice would be appreciated. 

Running Windows 10 64bit. Pictures attached of my dxdiag and device manager.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,844 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 23 November 2017 - 06:50 PM

When things revert back to prior settings the hardware has changed or failed.

#3 dgperry2000

dgperry2000

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 23 November 2017 - 09:28 PM

The same thing happened to me about an hour ago. I have been running a dual monitor extended desktop for years as well. I have the same ATI Radeon HD 4800.  I was on my computer when my main monitor went dark and the resolution on my secondary monitor reverted to 1024 x 768.... the now recommended setting. I too can go to 1280 x 1024, but no more. I rebooted hoping it was just a Windows 10 (64-bit) thing... but now my monitors are mirrored and Windows can't detect my second monitor. The display information from dxdiag are the same as yours show.

There are several Windows Updates from 2017-11 -15 including Microsoft Office compatibility service pack service 3 updates. 

But I have been using my computer since the 15th. The only dumb@$$ thing I did (recently) was click on a newly (it had a "new" beside it)  installed program called "My Office". Yes everything went bad right after this program started. After I rebooted my computer I uninstalled that program. I didn't install the program but maybe it was part of the Office service pack?

I went to the AMD support page and ran their software that automatically detects and installs software updates but I'm up to date. "Components are already installed" it said. Hmmm... looking more at the AMD site there appears to be new drivers for Windows 10 released 11/16/2017. But my driver date in device manager says 7/25/2017?

This has to be a Windows Update thing or AMD driver update issue don't you think? Any suggestions on next steps would be appreciated. I don't want to bugger it up anymore then it already is. Thanks

#4 dgperry2000

dgperry2000

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2017 - 09:52 PM

Ok I just selected the "Roll Back Driver" button in the Drivers tab for the  ATI RAdeon HD 4800 Series Properties window in the Device Manager and everything is back working again. The driver that is working for me is:

Driver Provider: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

Driver date:  1/13/2015

Driver Version: 8.970.100.9001

Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher

I guess I could have just tried that right off the hop. Cheers!

PS How do you attach a dang thumbnail image?! :D

#5 Sputster

Sputster

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2017 - 10:48 PM

I have experienced the same issue.  I have a Radeon HD4850 and earlier today my screen blacked out and wouldn't wake up.  After a forced reboot, my resolution dropped to 1024x768.  I checked the driver and it showed the "Microsoft Basic Display Driver".  The problem is that my "Roll Back Driver" option is unavailable.  Any other suggestions?

#6 dgperry2000

dgperry2000

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2017 - 12:18 AM

Hi, check out this discussion titled "Legacy driver pulled from Windows Update" at 

DriverVer=01/13/2015, 8.970.100.9001 

Seems like others are having this issue. Hope that helps.

#7 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,844 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 24 November 2017 - 12:39 PM

HDMI handshaking is beginning to shred more than a few clues into fault diagnosis.  Failing video cards default to onboard resolutions unless the fault stops the video to the display altogether.  Testing video spares could show the video card fault if the BIOS recognized the replacement card.  Drivers have been deleted or overwritten by updates and restore points make that essential.

#8 Sputster

Sputster

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2017 - 02:34 PM

I have found a quick and easy solution thanks to the thread below:

https://community.amd.com/thread/222598

- bring up Device Manager
- expand Display Adapter
- right-click the AMD Driver
- click Update Driver
- click Browse option
- click Let Me Pick
- install the old version (based on the date of the driver)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users