Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer giving no display.

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#31 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 27 December 2017 - 05:03 PM

I have nothing plugged in except my processor, the power supply, and the hdmi cord.

Do you have the CPU cooling fan connected to the correct header on the MB.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#32 Zgw00

Zgw00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2017 - 05:17 PM

Progress has been made.
I found out there was a 4 pin connector on the motherboard that powered the CPU. I also didn't realize my 8 pins CPU cord broke into 2 4 pins. Once I plugged it in, it turned on and beeped a "long short short" post code.
Which means it can't produce a video. What do I do from here?

#33 Zgw00

Zgw00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2017 - 05:21 PM

Disregard the last message. After putting in a stick of ram, it booted up and gave me picture. I think things are fixed!

#34 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 255 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2017 - 05:39 PM

Good news  :thumbup2:

What I suggest you do now;

Keep the set up exactly as you have it now.

Power down and disconnect the power cord.

Ground yourself by touching something metallic like a radiator pipe etc.

Connect only the HDD and insert your USB thumb drive that has Windows on it.

Connect the power cord.

Power up while tapping the key that gets you into the BIOS.

Change the boot sequence to USB device first** and the HDD second, save the settings and exit.

Install Windows then post back with an update.

** If your MB has UEFI BIOS you may need to disable secure boot in the BIOS to get the board to boot from USB device.

#35 Zgw00

Zgw00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2017 - 06:41 PM

I don't need to install windows. It's still on my hard drive. This isn't a new build, it's just one that stopped working. So everything is in working order now. Unless I'm missing something?

#36 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 255 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2017 - 04:51 AM

Two things to consider, easiest to explain first. 1: The drivers that are on the HDD are for the previous MSI MB. 2: A change of MB means that you need to reactivate Windows with Microsoft, the latter depends on what type of product key was used with the MSI board (see explanation below) and what version of Windows you are running, with MBs that have UEFI BIOS and that have been running Windows 8 or above the product key for Windows is stored on the Microsoft database and should a clean install be required using the same hardware there is no need to re enter the MS product key because it is automatically detected when Windows checks for updates, a product key that does not correspond with the MB that it was initially paired with will result in you being asked to reactivate Windows and/or ultimately mean that you will not be able to update Windows.

With a new MB it is always best to do a clean install of Windows and drivers for the new board but for folk wanting to try and cut corners to save time it may be possible to boot into Safe Mode only and uninstall the drivers for the previous MB.

Just a cautionary note, unless your OS disk is the full retail edition you cannot use it with a new MB as an OEM disk is tied to the original MB it was paired with, to use an OEM disk with a new MB is software piracy and therefore illegal.

Exceptions to the above are 1: If your MB is replaced under warranty and 2: If your MB is replaced out of warranty with an alternative type but same brand due to the original model no longer being available, an upgraded MB however will require the purchase of a new OS licence. 

If you have a full retail disk and a product key that is not in use on another computer the OEM restriction/s is/are not the same.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users