Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer giving no display.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Zgw00

Zgw00

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2017 - 04:21 PM

My computer as usual. Two days later I turned it on, and got no display. When I looked inside, the fans on my gpu weren't spinning. Everything else seemed to be fine, the lights came on, the inside fans were spinning, etc. I have tried a replacement for every part. I ordered a mobo and used that to no avail.
My motherboard was an MSI 970A-G43, is now an ASUS M5A78L-M Plus USB3. I have not used the instal cd for it yet, if that will make a difference. My pc doesn't have a cd drive, so I was going to use a USB drive.
Graphics card is a Radeon R7 370
RAM is 2 8GB Ripjaws
PSU is a CX500
Processor is AMD FX-4350

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 23 November 2017 - 04:42 PM

Hello Zgw00,

When I looked inside, the fans on my gpu weren't spinning. 

Couple of questions if I may;

Was the supplemental six pin power dongle from the PSU securely connected to the R7 370 GPU.

Have you tried completely removing the R7 370 GPU from the motherboard and connecting the screen to one of the video ports on the ASUS MB.

#3 Zgw00

Zgw00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2017 - 08:09 PM

The cord from the PSU to the R7 was secure. Wasnt touched until after it stopped working.
I did try both hdmi and VGA on the board itself and still got a "No Signal" from the monitor. I didn't take the GPU out when trying this though, if that makes a difference.

Edited by Zgw00, 23 November 2017 - 08:10 PM.

#4 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2017 - 12:42 PM

I did try both hdmi and VGA on the board itself and still got a "No Signal" from the monitor. I didn't take the GPU out when trying this though, if that makes a difference. 

The add on video card must be physically removed from the MB or the BIOS** will detect the add on video card and disable the onboard graphics, this whether the add on video card is working or not.

** NB: Some MBs will allow the settings to be changed in the BIOS to alter this but it does require the end user to change this and it is not done automatically.

Remove the R7, try the onboard graphics then get back to us if you will.

#5 Zgw00

Zgw00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2017 - 01:48 PM

I realize now that I forgot to try different stick of RAM. I'm going to try and borrow a replacement stick from a friend in the upcoming days.
I will get back to you later on the On-board graphics when I try it.

#6 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2017 - 01:55 PM

I will get back to you later on the On-board graphics when I try it. 

:thumbup2:

If you try removing the R7 as suggested you may find that you have no need to try borrowing additional RAM.

#7 Zgw00

Zgw00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2017 - 11:10 PM

New ram didn't work either.
When I tried the onboard graphics, the computer made noise like it booted up, and the fans whired but only for a second before it powered off. Pressing the power switch again gave nothing, until I turned off the power switch in back and pulled out the power cord then replaced it.

#8 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2017 - 11:33 AM

Pressing the power switch again gave nothing, until I turned off the power switch in back and pulled out the power cord then replaced it. 

What happened after pulled and replaced the power cord and was this with the add on video card removed.

#9 Zgw00

Zgw00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2017 - 03:46 PM

After plugging the power cord back in, pressing the power button yielded the same result of turning on for just a second then shutting off. This was with the R7 removed.

#10 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2017 - 04:00 PM

Thanks for confirming  :thumbup2:

Try restarting with the add on video card removed and no RAM in the slots either.

If the behaviour is the same (powering back down) we should look at doing a quick check on the PSU.

#11 Zgw00

Zgw00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2017 - 07:11 PM

I put my original motherboard back in the PC, since the new mobo didn't change anything.
The thing I'm having trouble understand is how a solution hasn't been found if every single part has been replaced. Is there something I'm missing? Even the HDMI cord has been changed, the monitor works for sure, vga didn't work either.
Isn't one of the only possibilities faulty replacement parts?

#12 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:12 AM

Isn't one of the only possibilities faulty replacement parts? 

Sorry can`t really comment on that as you never got back to us with a response to what was suggested in my reply #10.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users