Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cloning a smaller SSD to a larger SSD using Macrium Reflect

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 wonderland78

wonderland78

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 23 November 2017 - 02:56 PM

Attached File  Untitled-1.jpg   79.9KB   1 downloads

Just bought a 256gb SSD to replace my 128GB SSD. Want to clone the old to the new and make use of its extra space.

Watched a tutorial on cloning using Macrium, fairly straightforward (see attached). Source shows the 128gb, destination shows the 256gb. When I first cloned it, I changed the boot options and awaited to see the extra space... but there was none. Turns out that I cloned the size of the old one too.

I gather that when dragging and dropping each partition from the old to the new, I need to pick one to make 'maximum size' on ONE of those partitions. 

At first I was wondering which one to choose for that, but I think it's fairly clear that the one labelled "Windows" is the one. But... if I drag and drop that partition over and make IT max size, it fills up the HD and doesn't allow that last partition to be dragged over (IMGSTOR). I can change IMGSTOR to be max size though.

Thoughts on this?

Edited by hamluis, 24 November 2017 - 09:42 AM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to Disk Mgmt Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 23 November 2017 - 03:30 PM

Download Partition Wizard. All steps are virtual and will not complete until you click Apply. 

Select Resize/Move. Left click the Partition bar of Imgstor and drag completely to the right. This will leave unallocated space after your Windows partition.

Select Resize/Move. Left click the Partition bar of the Windows partition to select it. Left click the right arrow of the partition bar and drag fully to the right to increase the size. 

Press Apply.

https://www.partitionwizard.com/help/resize-partition.html

#3 wonderland78

wonderland78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2017 - 03:33 PM

And this can be done straight on to my newly cloned 256 drive? no need to re-clone or anything? 

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,165 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2017 - 03:35 PM

Yes, you do this on the cloned drive.

#5 wonderland78

wonderland78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2017 - 01:57 AM

Ok so I downloaded Partition Wizard and dragged the IMGSTOR to the right as suggested. But once that's done, I can't drag the Windows partition as the disk as a whole has been filled to capacity with the IMGSTOR.

It's like its acting as a blocker and preventing Windows from growing.

EDIT: hold up, I fixed it! I was going for 'resizing' the IMGSTOR to the right by dragging the right edge. What I needed to do was 'move' it all the way over to the right, not resize. That way there was room on the right hand side of the Windows partition to grow into. Man apart from that little hurdle it was a pretty neat solution. Just hit apply and it's done. No need to even restart.

Edited by wonderland78, 24 November 2017 - 02:13 AM.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 5,839 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2017 - 09:17 AM

And if you ever have to do a disk clone from a smaller to a larger disk again I suggest you use MiniTool Partition Wizard to do it.

The clone function in Partition Wizard is intelligent, detects if the target drive is larger than the source drive, and automatically expands the partition that contains Windows such that the entire drive space will be used without your having to do a thing.  You can, of course, manually change what it does after it shows the target setup to you if you so desire before actually performing the clone.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,469 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2017 - 09:33 AM

Surprised you new SSD did not come with migration software, Most provide it.  Very smooth and easy transition.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,801 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2017 - 07:10 AM

And if you ever have to do a disk clone from a smaller to a larger disk again I suggest you use MiniTool Partition Wizard to do it.

The clone function in Partition Wizard is intelligent, detects if the target drive is larger than the source drive, and automatically expands the partition that contains Windows such that the entire drive space will be used without your having to do a thing.  You can, of course, manually change what it does after it shows the target setup to you if you so desire before actually performing the clone.

Will give MiniTool a shot very soon, have used for years for partitioning, yet never cloning, like the OP, have used the Macrium Reflect WinPE media since 2013. :)

The cool thing after cloning to a larger drive is that no extra software is needed, it's built into the Control Panel. Open it & type (w/out quotes) 'Create and format disk partitions', one can easily extend the 'C' partition as large as desired & can create others. Although one thing to keep in mind with SSD's (to include NVMe models), leave at least 10GB free at the far end. Most OEM's recommends 10%, although that's a lot of lost space, 10GB is plenty to keep the drive fast & controllers working as should. Only those with 500GB or more space should consider a larger 'overprovisioning' area. 

Have even done the opposite with Macrium Reflect (back in 2013), cloning a larger 1TB HDD down to a 120GB Samsung 840 EVO, and surprisingly, was able to keep all partitions, to include Recovery intact. Yet the XPS 8700 was still new & had little data at the time, why I was able to pull it off. 

There's a 256GB 2.5" SSD I soon need to clone to a NVMe model, will give MiniTool Partition Wizard first crack at the job, have the 9.1 media, both 32 & 64 bit (last free version that provided bootable media) & will see how it goes. The MyDigitalSSD NVMe is a bit smaller (240GB), yet I tend to not exceed the 50% mark on usage, so should go well. If not successful, will use Macrium, which has successfully cloned HDD/SSD's to NVMe, the standard of today. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users