I know I am being kinda late here, but there is not response in this topic at all, so I thought I'd put my two cents in.
I did face similiar problem for a few days lately. Whenever I played ARK for a couple of minutes, my computer went down (BSOD). I did use WhoCrashed to see what caused the BSOD and it pointed towards the atikmpag.sys file and Video TDR Failure.
I did try the following:
- Different versions of GPU drivers
- Uninstalling my GPU drivers, cleaning out all of its remains and installing a fresh one through Safe Mode
- Even tried different ARK settings
- Went to clean my whole case (from dust and such) including the GPU
- Replacing the atikmpag.sys manually with a fresh one through command prompt
Geez, I don't really remember what else I did try. I got through s*itload of crashes (BSODs) before stumbling upon the solution (for me atleast for couple of days now).
Now - I am not stating that this is going to work for anyone else, but I would be damned not to share it along.
The solution for me, was to add the following Launch Option for ARK -> "-norhithread" <- without the quotation marks.
If you don't know how to do that -
1) Right Click on ARK: Survival Evolved in your Steam Library
2) Click on Properties
3) In the General tab click on Set Launch Options...
4) Add the following line without the quotation marks "-norhithread"
5) Click on OK and then Close the Properties window.
I hope it helps.