Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using Microsoft Store to Install Windows 10 Apps?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 F1Help

F1Help

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 23 November 2017 - 11:41 AM

Hi,

I understand that Windows 10 uses a Microsoft Store where apps can be installed directly (similar to Google Play on Android), as opposed to manually downloading and installing from the respective site.

Is it best practice to download apps from the Windows 10 Microsoft Store, or do it manually in the conventional way?

I like the convenience of using the Microsoft Store but struggle to find most of my apps listed there (such as Google Chrome), and what's there tends to have limited functionality (VLC Player has no DVD playback).

I am planning to use Windows 10 on a desktop PC tower and don't have any Windows mobile devices.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AnythingButMalware

AnythingButMalware

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 23 November 2017 - 11:53 AM

Honestly it's more of a matter of preference. But I must say, like any app store, there are many identical apps that can be confused and infect your machine with malicious software.

Have you tried turning it off and back on? :P

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 23 November 2017 - 01:16 PM

You can use the Windows Store to find the app that you want and download it from there, or you can Google is, example:  google chrome download from windows 10 app store.  Copy and paste that in your browser and do the search.  Below is what I get.

Attached File  mic store.PNG   55.77KB   0 downloads

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 F1Help

F1Help
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2017 - 11:12 AM

Thanks for your replies.  However, the Google app in the screenshot is for Google Search and access to other Google products, not the Google Chrome app.

#5 dhagerjohns

dhagerjohns

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2017 - 11:55 AM

There is no google chrome app as far as I know, but you can download the browser from here:  https://www.google.com/chrome/index.html

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 24 November 2017 - 11:58 AM

That is what is available from the Microsoft Store.  If you want Google Chrome... download it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 F1Help

F1Help
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2017 - 07:22 AM

Yes, as Google Chrome is not available in the Windows Store (Microsoft Store) it would need to be downloaded manually, or using a tool such as Ninite:

https://ninite.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users