Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Updating OpenOffice/LibreOffice?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 F1Help

F1Help

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 23 November 2017 - 11:29 AM

Hi,

For many years I have been successfully creating my documents in Writer/Calc using a now old version of OpenOffice.org 3.3.0 on Windows.  I would like to update to a latest release version.  There are two issues that I have:

1) Should I go with OpenOffice or LibreOffice?

2) If I go with LibreOffice (or even the latest OpenOffice), will I still be able to use my documents without problems?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,359 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 23 November 2017 - 01:26 PM

1)  Take your pick.

2)  Yes

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#3 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 24 November 2017 - 03:07 AM

Just watch for file format extensions if you change products; and be sure to either convert or re-save to the file format (file extension) that you need.

These days, I know not to save files in whatever native proprietary format the product defaultly saves into.  None of this ODF extension.  I will now be sure to save mine as DOC or DOCX (if this is available).

My current choice for spreadsheeting and word processing is PlanMaker, and either TextMaker or Jarte.  Another good choice if you like it may be WPS Office for both spreadsheets and word processing.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,359 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 24 November 2017 - 09:25 AM

It is not the formats that either OpenOffice or LibreOffice use that are proprietary, they are open source just like the software.

All of the MS-Office file formats are proprietary, but they're "open secret" proprietary since Microsoft certainly wants other office software to be able to read them.  MS-Office can also open the file formats used by OpenOffice and LibreOffice as well.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#5 F1Help

F1Help
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2017 - 11:19 AM

I normally save files out in the native format as this should preserve formatting.  I can export a version of a file for Microsoft Office users if needed.

From what I have read there is not much difference between OpenOffice and LibreOffice.  I would probably go for LibreOffice for the reasons discussed here:

https://www.howtogeek.com/187663/openoffice-vs.-libreoffice-whats-the-difference-and-which-should-you-use/

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/whats-the-difference-between-libreoffice-and-openoffice/

#6 F1Help

F1Help
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2017 - 07:27 AM

Although I will probably use LibreOffice going forward, I will install the latest versions of both to compare.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users