Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Skype Is Taking More Than 1 Gb Of Ram!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 michael mellner

michael mellner

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 24 September 2006 - 04:06 PM

Hello there. I don't know if this happens to who else uses skype but I checked the processes with task manager and found out what's in the file attached: skype uses about 1 gb of my 1.3 gb ram. Is it possible?
Is there a setting to avoid it? I have to say that it doesn't start like this. In fact it starts from about 0 ram used to the mentioned 1 gb. The fact is that when it reaches this ram level my pc is very slow (of course).

Any clues to solve this?

Bests

Michael

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 24 September 2006 - 04:10 PM

I am not familiar with Skype but I use Vonage which is another VOIP and it uses zero ram because it takes a small amount of the bandwidth from a router.
It is independent of my computer.

#3 michael mellner

michael mellner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 24 September 2006 - 05:04 PM

Thanks for your reply. The things is that I need to use skype, and second there must be something wrong in my pc process settings because no software takes such amount of memory (unless of course the huge graphic and movie s/w). This is why I checked here too. I already made some posts on skype forum but they are related more on the application and not on pc....I guess.

Bests

Michael

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 24 September 2006 - 07:21 PM

I can't imagine why it would take so much in resources...

Open your task manager and see what is running, both aps and processes.

Edited by Enthusiast, 24 September 2006 - 07:22 PM.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 25 September 2006 - 08:28 AM

First, try a scan for malware at http://safety.live.com/

Then, uninstall the Skype software and reinstall a freshly downloaded copy of it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users