Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help me - I don't have 600 (Dell XPS 13 motherboard)

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Apocsol

Apocsol

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 23 November 2017 - 08:03 AM

Hi all,

This is a hail mary post. My partner knocked tea on my laptop, and the keyboard stopped working. A Dell engineer replaced the keyboard, but still, nothing.

They suggest replacing the motherboard for, wait for it, £600. However, the laptop itself still works, bluetooth keyboards still work when plugged in via USB - so could it just be the keyboard connector cable or similar? And if so, can I replace that part alone?

I will be forever in your debt if you can save me a month's rent here...

p.s. Apologies if this is in the wrong place - tell me if I should repost elsewhere.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,585 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 24 November 2017 - 10:57 AM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer Apocsol.

How did you wind up with this Dell "engineer" and how did they get your laptop? 

From what you posted I'm guessing that this engineer did troubleshoot the keyboard when it failed.  But, there is a potential problem with this.  Newer laptops now come with a catch tray below the keyboard to protect the motherboard from this type of accident. The fact that this computer boots into Windows and you can use an external keyboard indicates that the motherboard may be ok.  The fact that the external keyboard connected via a USB port operates indicates that at least part of the motherboard is working.

One thing you could do would be to check in the Device Manager to see if there is a problem with the keyboard driver.

Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png  and the X key to open the Quick Link Menu.

Select Device Manager from the menu.

In the Device Manager scroll down to Keyboards to see if there are any yellow warning icons or red error icons.  If there are click/tap on the chevron to the left of the option to open the selections.  Click/tap on the Driver tab and uninstall the driver.  When you restart the computer a new driver will be installed.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Apocsol

Apocsol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2017 - 12:20 PM

Hi BTH,

Thank you for your time! Unfortunately, this had no effect - I've followed your instructions and the engineer (who was from an affiliated company, sent by Dell) tried this as well. No warning lights, just two HID Keyboard Devices and a 'Standard PS/2 Keyboard'

Is it possible that part of the motherboard is damaged in isolation? Or another keyboard controlling part?

Thanks again,

Apocsol

#4 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 24 November 2017 - 12:47 PM

difficult to say, especially if it got wet. If a new kb didn't work and another one also tried (try a second kb) then it very well could be the board. Luckily you might be able to get a board on ebay, you'll need more info to find an exact replacement but much cheaper than 600

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2499334.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.TRS0&_nkw=Dell+XPS+13+motherboard&_sacat=1244

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,585 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2017 - 02:48 PM

The driver in the Device Manager is the only item you can change.  This is a plug and play device, these usually only have a single drivers for support.

What is the make and model of this computer?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Apocsol

Apocsol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2017 - 06:06 AM

It's a Dell XPS 13 Ultrabook (i5/8GB/256GB).

Those MBs do look cheaper than asking Dell to do it again - though Ebay always worries me :D But maybe that's my next move...

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,585 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2017 - 11:20 AM

Unless you have some experience in disassembling a laptop you may wish to rethink doing this yourself.  There is a lot of disassembling involved in replacing the motherboard.  I would suggest that you watch this video.  This is the same make and model as your laptop.

#8 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2017 - 11:23 AM

I've used ebay to get used boards for laptops before, Just be sure to check the sellers ratings, reviews, where they are from and any warranty. Usually 30 to 90 days from and reputable seller. Ebay will back you up in case you run into any problems too.

#9 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,102 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2017 - 11:40 AM

Have you tried cleaning the ziff connector where the keyboard ribbon cable connects?  A slight bit of Windex or alcohol on the end of a fine tipped paintbrush can do wonders.  I would wipe, then blot with a tissue or paper towel several times.

If you have contact cleaner such as Caig DeOxIt I would recommend that you give the connector a blast of that after you've done the cleaning and are certain the connector has dried.

This is almost certainly not a motherboard issue, in the classic sense of that word, if an external USB keyboard will work.

All it takes is for a contact or two on that ziff connector to have enough crud on it to insulate itself from the connection on the ribbon cable.  I would also give the end of the ribbon cable on the replacement keyboard a gentle wipe clean as part of this, too, since you could have "crud transfer."

It's certainly worth a try before going the long way round and replacing the motherboard.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#10 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2017 - 12:01 PM

imho.... Windex is a petroleum based cleaner, might want to stick with isopropyl alcohol

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,102 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2017 - 12:25 PM

imho.... Windex is a petroleum based cleaner, might want to stick with isopropyl alcohol

Not that I disagree with your warning about petroleum based cleaners, but Windex is definitely not one of them.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,585 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2017 - 12:27 PM

You may want to rethink your assessment of Windex, it is a recommended cleaner for plastic materials.

TECHNICAL BULLETIN: Use of Harmful Cleaners on PVC (vinyl) Products |

#13 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2017 - 04:28 PM

You may want to rethink your assessment of Windex, it is a recommended cleaner for plastic materials.

TECHNICAL BULLETIN: Use of Harmful Cleaners on PVC (vinyl) Products |

I was under the assumption that we are referring to cleaning motherboards, and if you research the properties of Windex, you will see that the products that make up Windex are petroleum based indeed.

https://www.hunker.com/12155369/what-chemicals-are-in-windex

isopropyl alcohol will not leave as much residue on the board, but I'm sure their is something on an industrial grade that is better for cleaning motherboards (probably why we do not see anybody recommending Windex to clean off cpu's and heat sinks)

#14 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,102 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2017 - 04:49 PM

Joe,

I read the page you linked to, which is fascinating, but I see nothing in the current formulation that would make Windex fall into "petroleum based" in any way.

None are produced from a petroleum base and many are used in petroleum spill cleanups because they disperse oils very well.

Windex is a water-based product with alcohol and glycol-ether derivative solvents, neither of which are petroleum based.

~ Austin O'Malley

#15 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2017 - 05:10 PM

Did I state research?............Please allow me to help you out with that

*Isopropanol

*2-Butoxyethanol

*Ethylene glycol is produced from ethylene

Ethylene Production and Manufacturing Process
05 November 2007 10:50 Source:ICIS

Ethylene is produced commercially by the steam cracking of a wide range of hydrocarbon feedstocks. In Europe and Asia, ethylene is obtained mainly from cracking naphtha, gasoil and condensates with the coproduction of propylene, C4 olefins and aromatics (pyrolysis gasoline). The cracking of ethane and propane, primarily carried out in the US, Canada and the Middle East, has the advantage that it only produces ethylene and propylene, making the plants cheaper to construct and less complicated to operate.

https://www.icis.com/resources/news/2007/11/05/9075778/ethylene-production-and-manufacturing-process/

Edited by Joe C, 25 November 2017 - 05:21 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users