Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard Drive Intermittently Off

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 oguru

oguru

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 23 November 2017 - 06:13 AM

Hi

I've had 2 external hard drives for over a year and recently the powered hard drive has started playing up. Occasionally (i think only when booting from off) the powered drive isn't showing in windows, and it seems like i have to unplug the power and plug it back in for it to work. I did that today though and it took unplugging the power, and then the power and the usb to get it to come back on in windows. It's only started happening recently and it's not that frequent so it's hard to give definitive details, but i'm a bit concerned because it's a 3Tb drive which is basically full.

I'm running windows 7, the drive is a Samsung D3 station (Seagate st3000dm001 inside), and I have usb selective suspend turned off. Does this mean the drive is potentially failing or is something else happening? I've done a disk self test on it and it was fine if that makes any difference.

Thanks

Edited by oguru, 23 November 2017 - 06:29 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 5,896 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 23 November 2017 - 10:53 AM

Everything you describe suggests to me that this drive is in the process of failing, as it's the mode shown by all of my desktop drives (three) that have failed.

I'd suggest you download SeaTools for Windows and run the Short Drive Self Test for starters.  If that comes back clean, considering running the short generic test or long generic test.  Normally I'd say long but for a 3TB drive that will be a very long test indeed.

Regardless of what comes back, if the data on this drive is valuable to you I would strongly advise getting a replacement drive and copying everything off of the old one ASAP.  It's very cheap insurance.

Edited by britechguy, 23 November 2017 - 10:55 AM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,205 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2017 - 11:58 AM

That Seagate drive was a disaster.

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/222267-seagate-faces-lawsuit-over-3tb-hard-drive-failure-rates

#4 oguru

oguru
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2017 - 06:39 AM

Not sure why but every time i post it's blank so i have to write the message out again... Why can't computers just work!?

Anyway, i did the disk self test which it passed and i've just finished the long generic test which passed too. Does it still seem like a drive that's on its way out?

Edited by oguru, 25 November 2017 - 12:54 PM.

#5 oguru

oguru
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2017 - 03:46 AM

Anyone? Does it still seem like the drive is failing if the long generic test and the self disk test passed?

Edited by oguru, 07 December 2017 - 03:46 AM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,205 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:24 AM

If both tests passed then the drive is okay. Does this drive show the same problems when connected to another computer? 

#7 oguru

oguru
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2017 - 02:27 PM

Thanks for the reply. I haven't tried it in any other computers and it's only happened a few times over the last couple of months

Edited by oguru, 09 December 2017 - 02:28 PM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,205 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2017 - 03:05 PM

Could be a connection problem between the drive and USB port. Have you tried a different cable? If there is any data on this drive that you cannot afford to lose back it up as soon as possible to another device even if the drive passed both tests. 

#9 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 09 December 2017 - 05:25 PM

Those darn intermittent USB ports just drive me up a wall.  Cables and ports are taking a beating.  Cheap cables and flimsy ports have cost more time and spare parts that it has become the number one fault with external devices of all kinds.  It's nice to have expansion ports but the constant plugging and unplugging loosens the connections and when getting pulled out by the cable, yanked from every angle, does nothing to make it any better.  Cable replacement can solve most issues but will also fail again.  Cheap cables work well where they are installed and left alone with cable strain relief points.

#10 oguru

oguru
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2017 - 08:02 AM

Well it usually stays plugged in all the time so plugging and unplugging isn't (hopefully) an issue with mine. It hasn't happened for over a month now though so fingers crossed it is ok. I'll make sure i backup stuff that i haven't yet though, thanks for your replies!

Edited by oguru, 24 December 2017 - 08:03 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users