Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newly Built PC appears to be stuck in a “boot loop”

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ChrisCoon8752

ChrisCoon8752

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2017 - 06:53 PM

So I finished building my PC a few days ago. When I booted up my PC for the first time, everything went well, and I was able to install Windows 10 to my SSD. After I installed Windows, I downloaded Google Chrome, and went online to download drivers for my parts (I cant use the disks that came with the parts because I dont have a disk drive.) While I was in the process of looking for the drivers, my PC randomly shut off, my PC then appeared to be stuck in a loop of trying to boot for about a minute, it then managed to boot back into Windows. About an hour later it did the same thing. I tried unplugging, and replugging different wires that go into my motherboard, and got the same results. I left to go on a trip for a few days, I returned from my trip today, and my PC wont even boot into Windows now, it is stuck in a constant loop of trying to boot up. Does anyone know how to fix this issue?
Here is my parts list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/HBH4yf
Images of my PC (when it was properly functioning for a bit):
https://m.imgur.com/a/ufxFm

And here is a video of my PC stuck in a loop of trying to boot up:
https://streamable.com/lkt5o

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 23 November 2017 - 09:29 AM

Possible ram failure, try removing all stick the try booting with one in at a time.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 23 November 2017 - 03:48 PM

Just a couple of thoughts.

I dont have a disk drive

I think you mean that you do not have a DVD drive; they are cheap, super-easy to install, and are still useful. Sometimes it gets "iffy" trying to boot from a flash stick, whereas a DVD drive never fails.

> First, check that the power cable from the CPU heatsink fan is connected to the proper socket on the mainboard. It will be marked as "CPU", or FAN_CPU" or some such. If not connected to the proper socket, the unit will immediately shut down or reboot.

> Next, reset the BIOS back to factory default. I always do that on a new build, sometimes settings get messed up during the build.

> Next, test your memory one stick at a time using Memtest 86+ as follows:

>  Download the (free) zip file (2nd from the top) ISO of Memtest86+ and burn to a CD.

>  Make sure your BIOS is set to CD = 1st Boot Device, HDD = 2nd Boot Device.
     >
  If you have multiple sticks, test only one (1) stick at a time; this may be problematic on a laptop if you do not know how to access your memory sticks. If you don’t, then run    the test normally, otherwise do one stick at a time.

>  Reboot with the CD in your drive. Allow it to run until you get a message at the bottom of the screen that testing is complete (about 20 minutes). Any red posts at the bottom of the screen means that memory stick is bad.

If Memtest86+ will not run or you get error messages, let me know.

There is no need to run the test multiple times on the same stick, one complete pass is sufficient.

I am not sure if Memtest 86+ can be run from a flash drive or not, but the website should have that information.

[EDIT]: I just checked the site, and there is a new auto-setup for a flash drive, so you may be in luck.

If none of the above works, Here is a method for a bench build that has never failed me. I know it's a pain, but following this will find your problem.

Edited by ranchhand_, 23 November 2017 - 03:51 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users