Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Display Driver issues

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 lifeovrina

lifeovrina

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 22 November 2017 - 02:52 PM

Hi,

So I'll say every since the beginning of the year, my driver has been messing up horribly. By the way, I did install windows 10 just because I thought I should update, but every since I had windows 10 my laptops display has been cutting off a lot, or saying "Display Driver has crashed and now recovered" or the screen glitches and restarts my whole laptop.

I also reverted back to windows 8.1 months ago and cleaned, refreshed my laptop a lot but nothings getting better. I've had this laptop for about 3 years now and I dont know if there's a way to fix this problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 24 November 2017 - 12:11 PM

What is the make and model of this computer?

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy-v131.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

speccy2.png

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy3.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Edited by dc3, 24 November 2017 - 12:11 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 lifeovrina

lifeovrina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2017 - 04:06 PM

What is the make and model of this computer?

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy-v131.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

speccy2.png

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy3.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/5nNbb2NCS85wMtpJUAkWJXi

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2017 - 10:16 AM

You don't need to quote my posts, it's a waste of bandwidth and time.

You didn't answer my question regarding the make and model of this computer, please post this information... it is needed.

Do you have your important data backup?

One of the options you should have since this is a OEM computer would be to use the manufacturer's Recovery partition to reinsatll the operating system to the condition it was in when it came out of the box.  This would resolve any driver issues you are experiencing.  There are two scans which can be run and may resolve some of your problems, a sfc /scannow is a command which scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.  I'm going to suggest that you run this at your earliest convenience.  The instructions will be posted below the suggestion for a Refresh.

The other type of scan is Refresh which basically will reinstall the operating system, this will not affect your personal files if you use the option to save them in the instructions.  The downside is that this will uninstall all of your third party programs you installed.  There is the advantage over a factory recovery is that this will save your personal files, but it will not reinstall the AMD graphics driver which the factory recovery will do.

I will wait until we know what the make and model of this computer.

Please run chkdsk /r, or chkdsk /f if you are using a SSD.

To run chkdsk /r you will need to open the Elevated Command Prompt.  The easiest way to do this is to press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png  and the X key to open the Windows Quik Link menu.    A menu will open with the option Command Prompt (Admin), click/tap on this.

When the Elevated Command Prompt opens copy and paste chkdsk /r in the Command Prompt, if this is a SSD you do not want to run the /r switch, you will want to use chkdsk /f, then press Enter.

You will receive the message "CHKDSK cannot be run because it is in use by another process.  Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts?  <Y/N>".

Type in Y and press Enter.

This will take a while to run, please be patient and allow it to complete the scan.  Do not stop this scan as this can damage your operating system.

When the scan is finished please download and run ************  The author apparently deleted this link..

This will open Notepad with the results of the chkdsk scan.  Please copy and then paste this log in your topic.

Edited by dc3, 26 November 2017 - 10:12 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 lifeovrina

lifeovrina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2017 - 02:07 PM

Yes I have my data backed up, I back my important things on my flashdrive.
My maker and model is Hewlett-Packard, HP Pavillion 13 x360. I ran chkdsk /r since I don't use SSD. I've been in the scanning process for 2 hours and the percent is stuck at 11% complete.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2017 - 02:31 PM

I would like for you to allow the chkdsk /r to run till it finishes, this shouldn't take over a couple of hours.  If it doesn't finish in three hours time stop it.

Please do the following.

JcJ91sx.pngGSmartControl
Follow the instructions below to test your hard drive health with GSmartControl:

1.  Download GSmartControl and save it on your Desktop.

2.  Extract the content of the GSmartControl .zip archive and execute gsmartcontrol.exe.

3.  Identify your drive in the list, and double-click on it to bring up it's window (usually you'll find your drive by it's size or it's brand name).

4.  Click on the Perform Tests tab, then select Extended Self-test in the Test type drop-down list and click on Execute (this test can take a few hours to complete).

Once the test is over, the results will be displayed at the bottom of the window. Please copy and paste these results in your topic.

Click on the Attributes tab and if you have any entries highlighted in red or pink, copy and paste their name in your next reply (or take a screenshot of the GSmartControl window and attach it in your next reply).

info_failing.png

How to make a screenshot and post it in your topic

1. Download and run A Thousand Words .

2. Follow the wizard to capture a screenshot.

3. Use the built-in editor to resize, edit, or re-capture your screen shot.

4. Your screen shot will be saved to your desktop when you finish the wizard.

You can post the screenshot in your next post as an attachment.

Just below the area where you write text in a post there is the Post button, to the right of this is More Reply Options.

posting-options1.png

When you click on More Relpy Options you will see Attach Files and Browse, click on Browse, this will open Pictures on your computer, click on the image you want to post, then click on Attach This File, then Add Reply.

posting-options2.png

Please download and run SeaTools for Windows

Before the installation begins you will be prompted to either Decline or Accept the terms of the installation, click on I Accept.

Once the installation of SeatTools for Windows begins you will see an image similar to the one below.

Cn0u1vP.png

1.  SeaTools for Windows will search for HDDs and SSDs on your computer.  Please remove any external storage devices connected via USB ports.

2.  Detected Drives will list the HDDs and SSDs found.  Place a check mark in the drive box you want to run the scan on.  This should be the drive that has the operating system installed on it, this is usually C: drive.

3.  You will see Basic Tests toolbar above Detected Drives, move the mouse pointer over this to open the test options.  Please click on Long Generic Test

4.  This will start the scan.  When the scan is complete you will see the result under Test Status , please post the results in your topic.

5.  The test will indicate either Pass or Fail.  Post the results of the scan in your topic.

irtNzsc.png

6.  Click on Help, then click on View Log File.  If the scan failed take a screen shot of the Log File and post it in your topic.

#7 lifeovrina

lifeovrina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2017 - 07:08 PM

By the way, the link for the ListChkdskresult isn't working.

For the gsmartcontrol, It just says "Test Results: Completed without error"

There are no names highlighted in red or pink (everything is clear) in the attributes.

and

the results from SeaTool passed

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2017 - 10:13 AM

Thank you for letting me know that the chkdsk link doesn't work.  Apparently the author changed or deleted the link.

The good news is that it appears that the hdd is ok.  I will come back to this after my cup of coffee.

Edited by dc3, 26 November 2017 - 10:18 AM.

#9 lifeovrina

lifeovrina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2017 - 02:27 AM

Okay, nice. Was it the scanning and repairing that maybe fixed it?

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2017 - 09:27 AM

I suspect that there wasn't anything wrong with the drive.  If the chkdsk made any changes it would have been to reallocate data from a bad sector to a good one.  This happens with hdds, this is why there are quite literally millions of sectors on a hdd.

Thanks Giving weekend has required my presence, had to make amends for my absence.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users