Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to avoid conflicts on 1709 if use MBAE and NVT-ERP?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 22 November 2017 - 02:34 PM

I was tempted to, but decided not to, hijack this thread:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/662724/how-to-prevent-malware/#entry4380062

My question is related:

Before upgrading Windows 10 1703 to 1709 I uninstalled MBAE (antiexploit) and NVT_ERP (executable watch).
I wonder if I can/should put them back?
The reason I ask is all these new features in Windows Defender might trash my windows with those two valuable programs.
I don't have a sandbox to experiment on (other than reimaging).
Opinions? Any experience?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,591 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2017 - 05:58 PM

The NVT ERP web site indicates it runs on all versions of Windows.

I know that in August 2016, pbust re-created that build using counter-signed digital certificates from Microsoft in order to fix a bug in the previous version so it would run properly on Windows 10 Anniversary Update. Probably best to ask here.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Umbra

Umbra

Authorized Emsisoft Rep

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 23 November 2017 - 08:48 PM

I tried MBAM premium (which has MBAE integrated) with Win FCU , no issues observed.

About NVT ERP the actual version (v3.x.x.) won't create any issues, anti-executables don't interfere with anti-exploits, they are a both complementary. ERP v4 is in closed-beta stage,( im testing it actually) so just be patient for the stable release; it will solve many issues of the v3 versions, not saying it is already better.

Emsisoft Community Manager

#4 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2017 - 08:52 PM

Thanks, Umbra. I think I'll put in MBAE back. I'm nervous without it and not sure Defender's antiexploit is a good.

ERP will have parent-child watch (now it's only a report), cool. I wonder when it'll happen though, and I suppose we don't know how it'll play with the never ending and constantly changing beta-states of windows 10.

quietman7 - yes, I know ERP says it supports all. But the site is old and windows is new, and as Umbra said, ERP is in development currently, and I have EXERadar_Pro_x86_x64_v3.1_24062015_BUILD1 which was super on 1703, and just not sure how it'll be on 1709 issue of windows.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,591 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2017 - 09:10 PM

I would keep using MBAE too.

In case you don't know, here is a brief summary.

Windows Defender Exploit Guard Exploit Guard has four components of new intrusion prevention capabilities designed to lock down a system against various attack vectors and block behaviors commonly used in malware attacks before any damage can be done. Windows Defender EG is intended to replace Microsofts EMET which was confusing to novice users and allowed hackers to bypass because the mitigations were not durable and often caused operating system and application stability issues as explained here.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users