Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random computer crashes...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 badlyneedhelp

badlyneedhelp

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 22 November 2017 - 12:55 PM

Hi I've had my computer for almost 3 years now, and about 1 month ago I started getting BSODs and random computer crashes (screen just displays what I had prior to it crashing) when just listening to music on YouTube. I assumed my GPU was starting to fail and as a result bought a new GPU. I fitted the new GPU and did a clean installation of Windows 8.1 (borrowed a disk off a friend). I installed the GPU drivers off the manufacturers' website and then the BSODs stopped. I was still getting random crashes though so I thought maybe it was my PSU, deteriorated over time and bought a new PSU, 600W this time (I previously had 500W) and I was STILL crashing. I found this site and after reading a few threads I did a Prime95 stress test for 4 hours whilst monitoring my temps, I never crashed once and all whilst browsing YouTube and listening to music. My CPU was around 49-52 degrees and GPU was around 39-41 degrees. I then ran memtest for 18 hours with 9 passes and 0 fails so I assumed it would be my hard drive, because when it most recently crashed it did take a little longer to load into Windows that it usually should. I ran Seagate long test and my hard drive passed.

After looking through the event viewer log, I had the obvious event id 41 due to unexpected shutdown but I also had a few errors pointing towards application and found out that the Windows 8.1 disk I had borrowed wasn't a legit version of Windows and after a little bit of research discovered the tool to crack Windows on the disk COULD be a reason why I was receiving random crashes.

Currently I've just installed clean version of Windows 10 off the official Microsoft website and have also installed Chrome. It automatically installed my GPU drivers this time as well.

Before I installed Windows 10 my computer was left on 24/7 with a YouTube video playing the entire time, just for me to test if it'll crash, it took 3 or 4 days to crash but it still crashed. Prior to the new GPU and PSU I was crashing constantly daily, so I believe my GPU and PSU were to blame for BSOD and some of the crashing, but I'm thinking some other hardware may be starting to fail also.

Since I've installed Windows 10 I've had no crashes, but I've only installed it a few hours ago so I can't post any event viewer logs yet.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/HRKddrSweRAiI5yCNqbR48Z

Here is my speccy report of my newly installed Windows 10

I checked if my BIOS has a later version to install, but there were only 2 versions available on the site and both were older versions than the 1 I have already. 

I am desperate to get this fixed as I use my computer every day for work and gaming, however I don't want to game if I'm going to constantly crash at random times. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 23 November 2017 - 09:08 AM

Please run this report collecting tool so that we can provide a complete analysis: (from the pinned topic at the top of the forum)   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/
NOTE:  On problem systems it can take up to 20 minutes for the log files to complete.  Please be patient and let it run.

If you still have problems with it running, there's an alternate tool here (direct download link):  https://github.com/blueelvis/BSOD-Inspector/releases/download/1.0.5/BSODInspector-1.0.5.exe

NOTE:
Please zip up the (.ZIP) files - do not use .RAR, .7z or other compression utilities. 
.ZIP is the type file that can be uploaded to the forums.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 badlyneedhelp

badlyneedhelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2017 - 12:08 PM

Please run this report collecting tool so that we can provide a complete analysis: (from the pinned topic at the top of the forum)   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/
NOTE:  On problem systems it can take up to 20 minutes for the log files to complete.  Please be patient and let it run.

If you still have problems with it running, there's an alternate tool here (direct download link):  https://github.com/blueelvis/BSOD-Inspector/releases/download/1.0.5/BSODInspector-1.0.5.exe

NOTE:
Please zip up the (.ZIP) files - do not use .RAR, .7z or other compression utilities. 
.ZIP is the type file that can be uploaded to the forums.

Yes sorry, I wasn't sure if I should do this or not as I hadn't received any BSODs since I changed GPUs. For some additional info, as of now I've had Windows 10 installed for roughly 29 hours at the time of this post and have not received any crashes yet, but I am not convinced the problem is fixed. 

Attached Files

#4 badlyneedhelp

badlyneedhelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2017 - 07:19 PM

Just had a random restart whilst I was watching a YouTube video, computer loaded up seemingly normal but still the restart shouldn't have happened. I immediately restarted and created the below Sysnative log 

Attached Files

Edited by badlyneedhelp, 23 November 2017 - 07:27 PM.

#5 badlyneedhelp

badlyneedhelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2017 - 07:29 PM

Here is also a folder of the Event Viewer logs right after the random restart, note it didn't crash, I was watching a YouTube video and it just restarted as if I had pressed restart myself, and it loaded up at a normal speed. 

Attached Files

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2017 - 07:57 AM

The Admin log shows nothing that seems to be related to the abrupt restart (other than the Event ID 41 event)
FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504
The Event ID 41 error is simply Windows saying that it doesn't know why it shutdown.

Your UEFI/BIOS (version FA) dates from 2014.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.
FYI - W8 and W10 communicate more with the UEFI/BIOS than previous versions of Windows, so it's important to ensure that the UEFI/BIOS is kept up to date (and the outdated UEFI/BIOS' may be the cause of some compatibility issues).

Only 2 Windows Update hotfixes installed.  Most build 16299 (1709/Fall Creators Update) systems have more than this.  Please visit Windows Update and get ALL available Windows Updates.
The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

Beyond that, this is a pretty clean installation of Windows.

As such, it's probably not a 3rd party program that's causing this.

Nor, since you reinstalled Windows, is it likely to be a Windows problem.

That, combined with the sudden restarts with no errors in the logs usually points to a hardware problem.

So, please start with these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html
Please complete ALL of the tests and let us know the results.
If ALL of the tests pass, then I'd suggest this procedure to help identify the problem device(s):  http://www.carrona.org/strpdown.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 badlyneedhelp

badlyneedhelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2017 - 06:30 PM

I did Windows Updates, there were only 3 however but I did them all

I did say in my original post about my BIOS, I checked the manufacturer's website for an updated version, there were only 2 versions available and both of those were slightly older dates than the 1 I already had installed

As for the Hardware diagnosing, I did do memtest with 9 passes 0 errors (took roughly 18 hours), I did the Seagate long HDD test and that was a pass, I just ran Furmark for around 20-30 minutes and had no issues, max temp of my GPU was 67°C and no crash or restart, I had already ran Prime95 beforehand and I ran it for 4 hours and no crashes/restarts. I haven't ran the "Video 2 (5 tests) or "CPU stress tests" though. Because I ran Furmark and that was fine and my GPU is literally brand new, also my CPU wasn't overheating with Prime95 and I ran Prime95 for 4 hours fully monitoring the temps and no crashes.

I was told by a friend it may be my motherboard, but I'm not too sure if it would cause random restarts.

#8 badlyneedhelp

badlyneedhelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2017 - 08:19 AM

Just had 3 restarts all within 1 hour, not sure how much of a help it'll be but I'll attach the event viewer logs again, just in case...

I'm not sure if this is a coincidence but 1 of the crashes happened the same time I dropped something on my desk, but my tower isn't inside my desk it's off to the side and not even touching my desk, so that was probably just a bad coincidence. 

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2017 - 08:32 AM

Figuring out a hardware problem is, at best, a difficult proposition.

Figuring out a hardware problem with a motherboard is very difficult (as the motherboard involved all parts of the computer - and there are no 100% effective motherboard diagnostic tests.)

As all the diagnostic tests passed, then I suggest that you try this procedure:  http://www.carrona.org/strpdown.html

If not ready to try the stripdown, then I suggest a clean install of Windows to prove that it is/isn't a hardware problem:

A clean install is:
- Windows is installed to a freshly partitioned hard drive with legitimate installation media (W10:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 ).
- The installation media is only a copy of Windows, not the OEM recovery disks that you can make on some systems.
- Windows is fully updated after it's installed.  That's ALL updates - none excepted.
- NO 3rd party software is installed.
- There are no errors in Device Manager (if you find any, post back for suggestions).

This will wipe everything off of the computer, so it's advisable to backup your stuff first.
Also, it will wipe out all the special software that the OEM added to the system, so if you rely on any of that - let us know what it is so we can figure out a way to save/download it (the easiest way is to create/obtain the OEM;s recovery media)

If unable to find recovery media that has the software (or if you suspect that this is a hardware problem), you can make an image of your system that'll preserve everything in the state that it was in when you made the image.
One drawback to this is that you're making an image of a malfunctioning system - so, if there are errors in the system software, you'll have a nice copy of them :(
Another drawback is that the image of the system will be very large - so you'll most likely need a large external drive to store it on.
But, this will allow you to save everything on the hard drive (although you'll need an image viewer to get things out of the image).
The point here is that, if it's a hardware problem, then you can restore the system to the point it was when you made the image - after you repair the hardware problem.
You can obtain more info on imaging in the Backup/Imaging/DiskMgmt forums located here:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/238/backup-imaging-and-disk-management-software/

The point of doing this (the clean install) is to:
- rule out Windows as a problem (if the problem continues, it's not a Windows problem as you completely replaced Windows
- rule out 3rd party software (if the problem continues, it's not a 3rd party software problem as you didn't install any 3rd party software)
- so, if the problem continues, it must be a hardware problem.

OTOH, if the problem stops, then it was either a Windows or 3rd party software problem.  If the problem doesn't come back, then you've fixed it.  Then all that remains is setting the computer back up the way that you'd like it and importing your data from the backup you made.

Edited by usasma, 25 November 2017 - 08:34 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users