Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

TTnet Turkish ISP blocking remote access (or ports)

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 TimmyC

TimmyC

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 22 November 2017 - 11:11 AM

Hi All,

For several years, remotely, from here in the UK, I manage the IT in two locations  of south-west Turkey. 

I therefore have remote access to the main admin login pages of two routers. Or, more accurately, DID HAVE.  In addition to this, several ports were forwarded to provide certain services.

Approx 10 days ago 3/11/17, within 2 hours of each other, access to both routers appear to have been blocked... two separate locations, (but within 3 miles of each other), two different routers brands... but same ISP (TTnet).

I have 'Teamviewed' in, which works fine, checked all router settings and all are confirmed unchanged and intact. However, still no access.  

Both routers have dynamic IPs which continue to update fine and as usual approx every 2-3 days.

I have even tried changing the default port 80 to something different, with no success.

So, my perhaps obvious question is... anyone any idea why? !!!

I have searched and searched the Internet for similar questions or comments, especially regarding TTnet, to no avail.  Unfortunately, it is not feasible for me to speak or email TTnet directly for a reason, neither is it possible to ask 'non-IT' Turkish nationals to ask on my behalf.

So any ideas please?    :)    I should also have said, that telnet fails on both too, although set within each router, also Dyndns updates working fine as above.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 22 November 2017 - 02:31 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Have you done a trace route to see where the connection is failing?

If I was a betting man I'd say that TTnet made a change and that's your issue.  Does TTnet have a support site?  If so they may have a FAQ with information about blocked ports.

#3 TimmyC

TimmyC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2017 - 04:39 AM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Have you done a trace route to see where the connection is failing?

If I was a betting man I'd say that TTnet made a change and that's your issue.  Does TTnet have a support site?  If so they may have a FAQ with information about blocked ports.

Kilroy,   yes, traceroute takes me either to Turktelekom Istanbul or Ankara backbone. So I'm inclined to also believe it's a TTnet change. But thanks, I'll again attempt to find a TTnet support site. I believe I did find one, but appeared to solely Turkish.  Tim

#4 theorganiser

theorganiser

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 01 December 2017 - 10:43 AM

Hi , i just found this topic through google.

i have the same issue , suddenly it stopped working, i think also begin november.

have you found a solution alreadY ?

#5 TimmyC

TimmyC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2017 - 11:05 AM

Hi , i just found this topic through google.

i have the same issue , suddenly it stopped working, i think also begin november.

have you found a solution alreadY ?

Regretfully no, so far. I can get no response from Turkish ISP TTnet, so no answers to my questions to them. I am currently working of another solution, but I would appreciate knowing exactly what your experience is? What is it that you were able to do, but can no longer?  As much detail as possible please before I tell you exactly how far I've got. Thanks.

#6 theorganiser

theorganiser

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2017 - 11:18 AM

ah oke to bad.

i had a working configuration with a camera server on port 85.

suddenly it stopped working, i have tried the following things :

1. Restore modem to defaults en put in the new ports.

2. change ports to other ones

3. also a direct connection to the modem ( for remote configuration ) is not working

#7 theorganiser

theorganiser

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2018 - 05:08 AM

Hi, i finally found a solution,  for some reason they block the ports.

we called TT net ( turkish telecom) and went to there office and this is the solution :

you have to buy a static ip adres (16 lira a month)  then they will open the ports.

itss up and working again.

#8 cliffm

cliffm

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2018 - 12:55 PM

Hi, I have had this problem for the last few months too. Thanks to theorganiser for finding a solution. I wonder how TTNet are able to block remote connections like this without affecting other traffic? Is there really no way around this without buying a dedicated IP?

Thanks.

#9 TimmyC

TimmyC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2018 - 01:28 PM

Sorry to ... 'theorganiser' for not responding earlier and thanking him for making public the solution.

The progress I had made was that I was eventually able to get a non-IT Turkish-speaking person to successfully make contact with TTnet. The reply was that they (TTnet) thought a static IP 'MAY' resolve the access problem, as 'business' users paying for the full 'business' - tariff, apparently didn't have the same problem. (My two sites were effectively only paying the 'residential' -tariff). But they were not certain. However they reckoned they hadn't changed anything!  Clearly this TTnet person was not of the right level.

We never got as far as asking how much for a static IP... and to be honest, by then, I had gone another route...that being... I had already had several email discussions with a technical director of a certain webcam hosting company, who was immensely helpful and guided me (for FREE) into the detail for setting up two encrypted-tunnels, thereby avoiding the ISP blocks. 

This involved me purchasing two small everyday easily-purchased devices (not from him) into which I embedded open-source software. These two 'boxes'  now reside at the two remote locations and hang on the back of the two remote routers. I'm delighted to say both give me the level of access I need and webcams fine again.

All that having been said... now I KNOW that the static TTnet IP option is available at such a reasonable cost (again thanks to 'theorganiser'), then that probably would have been the route I would have preferred. My costs were a one-off £20 x 2 (£40) and a monthly subscription of £4.20 for each encrypted tunnel.

Hope this helps 'cliffm' (if it's not too late!)

Finally, what I find really odd is that, even trying many... yes many different and varied ports... TTnet were still able to block.  :mellow:

Edited by TimmyC, 03 June 2018 - 01:32 PM.

#10 cliffm

cliffm

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2018 - 01:32 PM

Thanks TimmyC - no, it's not too late for me. I'll be in Turkey shortly and will try the fixed IP solution. Thank you for your detailed update - very helpful.

CliffM

#11 TimmyC

TimmyC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2018 - 01:46 PM

Sounds good CliffM. I would appreciate any confirmation of precisely which TTnet package is required with costs etc.  A static IP here in the UK tends to be quite expensive. So the 16 lira per month... currently around £3-£3.50... it sounds very reasonable. I wonder if there are monthly limits on traffic.

So yes please, any info appreciated. I'm not planning to go over for a few weeks yet.

Best wishes and again thanks.

TimmyC

#12 theorganiser

theorganiser

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2018 - 02:08 AM

HI Timmy !  to bad you only read it to late !

its been up and running since january and no problems for what ever.

the only datalimit is the one you pay for a TTnet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users