Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network performance testing

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Kcals39

Kcals39

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2017 - 02:31 AM

So I am pretty new to network performance testing, buasically Im trying to test network performance of my wifi connectionbetween a computer and a server. I would like to run through the tests I want to carry out and what I hope to get from them, if you guys think I am on the right track let me know, if you think I am heading in the wrong direction can you offer some quick guidance?

So from my initial research there are a few things I need to test to get an overall picture of a networks performance; Bandwidth, Latency, Jitter and packet loss and network stress.

Bandwidth - Im going to use iPerf3, record the upload speed and throughput and then reverse it to get the download speed and throughput.

One thing I am not sure of with the Bandwidth test is setting the TCP window size. What size should I select or should I just use default? From what I have read increasing the TCP window will result in higher bandwidth capacity but I am not sure how to select the typical TCP window size if you get me.

Latency - Ping Utility, just going to measure the round trip time and packet loss.

Jitter - Using iPerf3, So testing upload, download speeds, throughput, jitter loss/total and datagram losses.

Again I am not sure if like the TCP window there is a general rule for setting the UDP buffer size Also I am not sure how packet losses in the ping utility differs from datagram losses, apart from the type of protocol.

Also how does jitter relate to QoS? Will running this test give me an insight into whether the network is capable of running VoIP applications? All I understand is you need a low latency and jitter to run VoIP applications.

I also want to do a network stress test. I am not massively sure how to go about doing this? So far all I have been able to come up with is using the iPerf parallel function to open up multiple data streams and as far as I am aware all this shows me is how many concurrent users I can have on a network without seeing huge drop offs in bandwidth.

I guess what is the best way of going about network stress/ load testing?

Anyway if you have time to read this and answer some of my questions/ point me in the right direction I would be grateful.

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users