Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 keeps updating graphics drivers, anyway to stop them?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MsLina

MsLina

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 22 November 2017 - 12:44 AM

Hello

I have Windows 10 Home 64 bit on my 3 PCs and it's driving me crazy. It always updates my graphics drivers when it does Windows Updates and breaks something. As a result instead of being able to play a game I need to DDU the drivers and reinstall working ones. Is there any way to stop automatic graphic driver updates from happening or do I need to upgrade to Pro to get Group Policy?

I'm hoping someone has a workaround without getting Pro.

Cheers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 22 November 2017 - 01:31 AM

Step 3 will show you how to Configure Show/Hide Driver Updates , so they stop updating.

Follow from the Start Step 1 if you havent allready reverted back drivers.

https://www.howtogeek.com/223864/how-to-uninstall-and-block-updates-and-drivers-on-windows-10/

#3 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 22 November 2017 - 03:17 AM

Have check the graphic card manufacturer website for latest graphic card driver?

Share your knowledge. Its a way to achieve immortality.
- Dalai Lama

#4 amybros

amybros

• Banned Spammer
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 22 November 2017 - 03:58 AM

Don't be panic.You can block Windows Update from updating one particular device. Follow the procedure explained below:

Step 1 : Find device hardware ID

In Device Manager, right-click on the device, choose Properties, then in the Details tab set Property to Hardware Ids and copy the displayed id.

Step 2 : Install your driver

Disconnect the computer from the Internet, go again into Device Manager, uninstall the driver installed by Windows and install your own. Reboot, and ensure that the driver stays as installed.

Step 3 : Block driver update for that device

• Run gpedit.msc
  • Go to Local Computer Policy → Computer Configuration → Administrative Templates → System → Device Installation → Device Installation Restrictions
  • Double-click on "Prevent installation of devices that match any of these device IDs" and set it to Enabled.
  • Click the Show button to launch the dialog "Prevent installation of devices that match any of these Device IDs"
  • Paste into Value the copied hardware-id for the device
  • Click OK until finished.

Step 4 : Finishing

Reconnect the computer to the Internet. Verify from time to time that the driver has not changed (this should not happen unless Microsoft manages to break this option).

Edited by britechguy, 22 November 2017 - 09:27 AM.

#5 MsLina

MsLina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2017 - 07:30 AM

Step 3 will show you how to Configure Show/Hide Driver Updates , so they stop updating.

https://www.howtogeek.com/223864/how-to-uninstall-and-block-updates-and-drivers-on-windows-10/

Thank You I will try it and let you know what happens. Is there any other ways to prevent the graphics card driver getting updated by windows update?

Have check the graphic card manufacturer website for latest graphic card driver?

I know how to update the graphics card drivers from nvidia, I just don't want windows update changing it. That's the problem. Especially when I'm on a stable driver and all graphic settings are set to my liking.

Don't be panic.You can block Windows Update from updating one particular device. Follow the procedure explained below:

Step 1 : Find device hardware ID

In Device Manager, right-click on the device, choose Properties, then in the Details tab set Property to Hardware Ids and copy the displayed id.

Step 2 : Install your driver

Disconnect the computer from the Internet, go again into Device Manager, uninstall the driver installed by Windows and install your own. Reboot, and ensure that the driver stays as installed.

Step 3 : Block driver update for that device

• Run gpedit.msc
  • Go to Local Computer Policy → Computer Configuration → Administrative Templates → System → Device Installation → Device Installation Restrictions
  • Double-click on "Prevent installation of devices that match any of these device IDs" and set it to Enabled.
  • Click the Show button to launch the dialog "Prevent installation of devices that match any of these Device IDs"
  • Paste into Value the copied hardware-id for the device
  • Click OK until finished.

Step 4 : Finishing

Reconnect the computer to the Internet. Verify from time to time that the driver has not changed (this should not happen unless Microsoft manages to break this option).

For such technical issues with the Operating Systems, you can visit sysprobs.com

Windows Home edition doesn't support the Group Policy Editor.

#6 MsLina

MsLina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2017 - 12:24 AM

Tried step 3, still coming up with nvidia updates.

If I decide to upgrade to pro and get group policy is this a guaranteed method to stop windows updating my drivers?

#7 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 23 November 2017 - 01:26 AM

Hi, MS make available a list of Gpedit.msc modifications, and their registry location and values, this is intended for developers and system administrators. It does not however prevent win 10 home users from implementing, these modifications.

We have always found updating drivers from the developers site is preferable to using windows updates. They are likely to be more up to date and have been tested by the developer. To this end I think it is good practice. 

Gpedit.msc allows users to enable a restriction "Do not include drivers with windows updates" the registry equivalent can be applied for home users.

Go to search and type:- command prompt, right click on the returned command prompt and select "run as administrator" an elevated cmd prompt will open. I have written a reg mod that we use (millions of computers have this mod), it is perfectly safe.

Copy the below cmd  and then right click anywhere in the cmd prompt window and select paste, the cmd will append to the prompt. Press enter, you will see a success message, restart computer and your problem is solved.

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate" /v ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

#8 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,839 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 23 November 2017 - 10:33 AM

You need not update to Pro, or at least this method still works for me:

Also, someone posted yesterday about O&O ShutUp10, which definitely works on Home or Pro, and is very intuitive (for some value of intuitive).  They even tell you to make a system restore point before tweaking settings, which is a very nice touch since this really does need to be done.  If you're someone who does full system backups (and you should be, everyone should) I'd also take one of those prior, too.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#9 neco423

neco423

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 23 November 2017 - 05:58 PM

Last week I had a similar problem with the graphics drivers, In my dell desktops  Windows updated the graphics drivers and the screen became black after started office programs, or even without doing nothing.

The solution was that I had rollback the driver to older drivers and the graphics worked well again.

managecomputer/device manager/ find the graphics drivers and rollback the driver.

:/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users