Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

chkdsk unresponsive for SD card after power outage

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 23 November 2017 - 09:07 PM

You need to disable SecureBoot in your UEFI settings. It is safe. Disabling SecureBoot has no affect on how your Windows system boots and allows Mint to boot.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 TheRealJustan

TheRealJustan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2017 - 08:13 PM

Alrighty! Will do, and I will report back with the results. Just as an FYI, I have to go out of tonight, but I should back by late late Saturday night. Just so you don't think I've abandoned the topic. 

#18 TheRealJustan

TheRealJustan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2017 - 07:04 PM

Hey, I'm back in town. My apologies for the delay.

So, I went into the UEFI changes and disabled SecureBoot, but it's not booting from the DVD. Is there another step that I may have missed? 

#19 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2017 - 07:28 PM

It's possible the optical drive is not the first boot device in your UEFI settings. If the computer is HP tapping F9 should bring up a boot menu allowing you to select your boot device. On a Dell it's F12.

You can use Rufus with the iso file of Mint to create a bootable USB flash drive. Sometimes the burn doesn't go right. You could use iso burner and select a speed no faster than 8x.

#20 TheRealJustan

TheRealJustan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2017 - 09:28 PM

Success!

Not only did I get Mint to boot, but I was able to mount the SD Card and get into it. So do I backup the data and format the card itself, or is there a way to repair it from here?

#21 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2017 - 10:53 AM

Sorry, I missed your post. Glad Mint was able to mount the SD card. Go figure. I've been able to mount disks on Mint where Windows choked.

I would format the card after backing up your data. Use the SD card formatter. Using Mint you can copy and paste the contents of the SD card to your internal drive. After doing the copy I would reboot into Windows and see if you can open any of the files before doing the format.

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 November 2017 - 10:54 AM.

#22 TheRealJustan

TheRealJustan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2017 - 09:48 PM

Sounds like a plan! Yeah, Mint loaded it right up with no issues, in mere seconds. Whereas Windows 'choked', as you said. I'm actually really enjoying using this. 

#23 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2017 - 09:58 PM

Yeah, even on a DVD Mint is pretty fast, even on an older computer.

#24 TheRealJustan

TheRealJustan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2017 - 05:00 PM

Agreed! It's great. So I've got a few final questions, before I let this go. If you're unable to answer, then no problem.

First question, once it's formatted, would the SD card be safe to use again? Or should I just get another one?

Second question, and this one is a bit silly, but it was just a thought: after I format it, would it be possible to put the same data back onto it and use the SD card in my mobile devices as I had previously? I'm not sure what caused these issues in the first place, but is it possible that it just got "stuck", and doing this would sort of "reset" it? I know it's a strange question, but the idea just hit me today. Thankfully, I was able to back everything up on my External 2TB.

#25 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2017 - 06:06 PM

Because Mint was able to mount the SD card without a problem I would say formatting it would be enough. Hopefully Windows will detect it but at the same time I would make sure you backup any important data on that SD card to another device.

If the phone detects the SD card you can format it in the phone and put the same data back on it. But again, make sure the data is backed up. 

I'm assuming this is a micro SD card if you plan on putting it in your phone. Best Buy currently has a sale on them.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/camera-memory-cards-usb-drives/micro-sd-sdhc-sdxc/pcmcat748300453560.c?id=pcmcat748300453560

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users